↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Ex Demos hitting the Used Markets now
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Ex Demos hitting the Used Markets now
Although I'm puzzled at the supposed mileages ~ one on 350 and the other on 10 miles? Apparently, nobody wants to test drive the D200.

Click image to enlarge
Post #845700 24th Jul 2020 11:55am
Vintagepaul

2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
When my daughter worked for Tunbridge wells Audi she said they would often put a minimal mileage on the adverts for their demonstrators with the caveat that the mileage should be confirmed with the salesperson when it was likely to be a lot higher.

The Land Rover dealer has probably done the same thing, either that or they are pre reg's which would be surprising. 2015 Defender 90XS HT
Post #845711 24th Jul 2020 1:03pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Inchcape told me the same when I bought mine.
They often don't know the mileages but there is a box so it has to have something in it so they just put a figure in which is liable to be low.
Post #845718 24th Jul 2020 1:52pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
£1333.46 a month Shocked

Hell would be freezing over before I would spend that kind of money on a car a month, whatever the car!

That's more than a mortgage for anyone outside of London Whistle
Post #845719 24th Jul 2020 1:54pm
Tim in Scotland

When I look on the Pentland Group lists of new Defenders there are cars with minimal miles and there are cars showing zero miles. The latter also generally have no photo or screen shot of the car from the configurator and the sales people explained to me that those are cars that they have build slots for but are not physically on site or within the group yet. The cars with miles on them are physically at one of the dealership showrooms in the group but they don’t know the actual miles on them, but it is possible that they are pre-reg cars - remember we just had the end of a dire quarter for dealerships so pre-registering some cars makes their sales figure look better and might get them a bonus from LR. Sometimes it is worth more to the outlet to pre-reg and exceed their sales target and get a juicy bonus from LR and then sell the car with a small discount than holding out to sell the car at full list in July/August when traditionally sales have been dire because people are waiting for 1st Sept deliveries.
I know when I was dealing with the West London dealership in the mid 2000’s I got some great deals basis taking a car at the end of a quarter instead of just at the beginning, especially for a car that they were selling out of their on site stock. I got in excess of £15k off a pre-reg L322 TDv8 3.6 Vogue because it hadn’t sold just before a new model year and the 4.4TDv8 was launching 2 months after. They needed to shift the stock. Sadly it was nothing like the 3.6TDV8 Sport that I traded in for it, for a start the FFRR version had no brakes after the big Brembo’s the RRS had! It was. A lovely car though once I learned how to stop it! Corris or Stornaway Grey with the Parchment interior and a heap of optional extras. I also got more than £10k off my 2007MY TDv8 RRS because a month later the 2008MY cars would start delivering - there were only 2 changes to the spec in between the model years - electric steering wheel adjustment instead of manual and the car got a full Bluetooth hand free phone systems instead of the cradle under the centre cubby. Neither made any difference to me buying the car so I took it. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #845731 24th Jul 2020 3:32pm
Supacat

Vintagepaul wrote:
When my daughter worked for Tunbridge wells Audi she said they would often put a minimal mileage on the adverts for their demonstrators with the caveat that the mileage should be confirmed with the salesperson when it was likely to be a lot higher.

The Land Rover dealer has probably done the same thing, either that or they are pre reg's which would be surprising.

Why would pre-regs be surprising?

And as for the bait and switch advertising scam, the dealer is JCT600, they are showing 16 vehicles, of which 15 are marked as ex-demo with selected mileages as follows:

10 miles ~ Defender & Discovery
350 miles ~ Defender
2,187 ~ Discovery Sport
2,685 ~ Discovery
2,691 ~ Range Rover Evoque
3,427 ~ Discovery Sport
3,661 ~ Range Rover Evoque
5,577 ~ Range Rover
6,752 ~ Range Rover Sport
6,915 ~ Range Rover Velar
8,011 ~ Range Rover Sport
12,762 ~ Range Rover Velar

So I don't think they are following that methodology.
Post #845762 24th Jul 2020 6:01pm
Supacat

Tim in Scotland wrote:
but it is possible that they are pre-reg cars - remember we just had the end of a dire quarter for dealerships so pre-registering some cars makes their sales figure look better and might get them a bonus from LR. Sometimes it is worth more to the outlet to pre-reg and exceed their sales target and get a juicy bonus from LR.

JLR have confirmed that in the current Covid-19 climate that they suspended the volume bonus scheme for dealers. I'll dig out the actual reference & share when I get a moment.

These are not the only new Defenders on the used sales lot with very few miles...

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post843345...mon#843345

I would hazard that JLR are pressuring dealers not to discount too heavily on new vehicles, but are a little more relaxed about them registering them and then discounting once classed as "used".

It's more about market presentation/manipulation than just market forces.

Not forgetting that we have already been told that this is a very profitable model for JLR, which just means there's plenty in the discount pot before anyone is actually hurting.
Post #845763 24th Jul 2020 6:16pm
Pacha

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Rashers wrote:
£1333.46 a month Shocked

Hell would be freezing over before I would spend that kind of money on a car a month, whatever the car!

I really do not understand how people sleep at night with that kind of commitment!!. Rgds.

Chris
Post #845770 24th Jul 2020 6:49pm
J77

Scotland 
If they have that as disposable income then I’m sure they’ll sleep pretty well.

The interest on those two is 10.9%
Post #845776 24th Jul 2020 7:44pm
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Re: Ex Demos hitting the Used Markets now
Supacat wrote:
Although I'm puzzled at the supposed mileages ~ one on 350 and the other on 10 miles? Apparently, nobody wants to test drive the D200.

Click image to enlarge

Dealers don't usually make a huge amount on the sale of individual cars. Their profits come from bonuses from the manufacturer when they hit the required monthly/quarterly and year end targets. When it comes to the respective month/quarter/year end and the dealer thinks they are falling short, they register enough extra vehicles to ensure the targets are hit and bonuses secured. The selling price of a delivery mileage pre-registered car to a customer will be less than list, but the bonuses more than make up for that shortfall.

I'll never be able to afford a new Defender but if i could, I'd grab one of the delivery mileage pre-registered cars (as opposed to an ex-demo). In effect its still a brand new never been used vehicle. And as Dealers have their own targets for sales of used stock, you could negotiate a further discount if you strike on the last day or two before that particular month/quarter/year end
Post #845780 24th Jul 2020 8:01pm
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Supacat wrote:
Tim in Scotland wrote:
but it is possible that they are pre-reg cars - remember we just had the end of a dire quarter for dealerships so pre-registering some cars makes their sales figure look better and might get them a bonus from LR. Sometimes it is worth more to the outlet to pre-reg and exceed their sales target and get a juicy bonus from LR.

JLR have confirmed that in the current Covid-19 climate that they suspended the volume bonus scheme for dealers. I'll dig out the actual reference & share when I get a moment.

These are not the only new Defenders on the used sales lot with very few miles...

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post843345...mon#843345

I would hazard that JLR are pressuring dealers not to discount too heavily on new vehicles, but are a little more relaxed about them registering them and then discounting once classed as "used".

It's more about market presentation/manipulation than just market forces.

Not forgetting that we have already been told that this is a very profitable model for JLR, which just means there's plenty in the discount pot before anyone is actually hurting.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up I should have read this before posting Laughing
Post #845785 24th Jul 2020 8:11pm
LRSpain004

Spain 
Pacha wrote:
Rashers wrote:
£1333.46 a month Shocked

I really do not understand how people sleep at night with that kind of commitment!!.

And how they sleep knowing their monthly payment is on a depreciating asset......or the banks asset anyway..
Post #845813 24th Jul 2020 9:39pm
Pacha

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
J77 wrote:
If they have that as disposable income then I’m sure they’ll sleep pretty well.

The interest on those two is 10.9%

10.9 with the current situation and market?

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rgds.

Chris
Post #845820 24th Jul 2020 10:15pm
Supacat

Seems high ~ 3.9% APR Representative with Land Rover finance is available on D5s, with a £7,250 finance deposit contribution ~ I haven’t done the sums but that's being advertised as a 18% discount.

Others discounts are:
Velar 15.5%
Disco Sport 16.3%
RRS 13.5%
RR 13%

https://www.drivethedeal.com/buy-a-new-car...index.html

Last edited by Supacat on 28th Jul 2020 11:41am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #846634 28th Jul 2020 11:36am
Tim in Scotland

Ahh but you don’t understand - JLR are doing “special” deals at the moment and the “special” bit is a higher than normal APR...... Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #846635 28th Jul 2020 11:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>