↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Wheel compatibility
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Zeplin000

Wheel compatibility
Does anyone know if 19” OEM wheels will fit on a 110 which was built with 20”s from factory?

I’m aware that Defenders spec’d with bigger wheels come with bigger discs and callipers (must be for aesthetics I guess as I doubt the mass of the bigger wheels would warrant a bigger braking set up). If I opt for a smaller diameter rim would I run into issues?

It looks like a tight fit on the current 20s, so I’ll probably void the warranty even if I buy a set of LR 19”s.
Post #844071 16th Jul 2020 12:54pm
PaulMark

South Africa 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Alpine White
Brake size is dependent on engine size not wheel size. If its the P400 19" wheels are the minimum size that will fit without shaving down the calipers. This is regardless of whether it was fitted with 20" at the factory. For any of the other engine sizes 18" will fit.
Post #844079 16th Jul 2020 1:58pm
Tim in Scotland

Just back from the dealership and they have a First Edition (so standard wheels are 20”) shod with 19”ATR’s on the 5x twin spoke black 19” wheels waiting for hand over Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #844091 16th Jul 2020 4:19pm
Zeplin000

Many thanks for the responses Tim and Paul Mark. Much appreciated. You've been more helpful than the parts department of my local stealership: I quote their response:

The stud pattern would be the same but unfortunately I couldn't commit to saying if it would or wouldn't fit.

Shocked
Post #844093 16th Jul 2020 4:24pm
Tim in Scotland

TBH the sales and accessories people at my supplying dealer have been a bit hopeless wen asked for info about wheels and tyres, winch and recovery eyes. I’ll be returning my business to my local (and peeved because I got the car from their sister dealer but it had to travel 30miles down the M9 to Edinburgh for me to get it!) Normally excellent dealership who are more used to dealing with strange requests for accessory info from farmers, foresters and shooting estates than city slickers Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #844096 16th Jul 2020 4:33pm
Zeplin000

Yes, I'd have thought parts departments get these sort of queries all the time but perhaps as it's a new vehicle they're not up to speed. Out of interest, was it these 6 twin-spoke wheels you spotted on the first edition?

There is a parts video which usefully covers the different brake setups, and this is what made me think the 19s wouldn't fit. https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72778.html. About halfway through it talks about 3 different size brake discs which are listed as wheel-size dependent.

I'll give them a try anyway, there's one way to find out for sure...
Post #844099 16th Jul 2020 4:53pm
Tim in Scotland

Those are the ones. I forgot to ask what the owner was doing with the 20” wheels that are standard as I would have taken them off them to also put ATR’s on if they were free/ very cheap (they only take up space in the dealership until they go in the recycling container or some staff member sells them on eBay for a slight discount on the cost to have them as an option Whistle ) Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #844101 16th Jul 2020 5:03pm
Zeplin000

They are a crazy price to buy new I agree. Im keeping my eye on Ebay. I pushed the dealer using your feedback and they have confirmed they will fit. Great news.

They also say "The vehicle would also need to be reprogrammed to 19" wheels which would cost £180.00 inc vat providing there are no issues with swapping the tyre pressure sensors.".

I have no idea why that would be needed given that the rolling radius for 19s and 20s would be the same surely.
Post #844102 16th Jul 2020 5:15pm
Tim in Scotland

Rolling diameter is the same, just like it is on Evoque, Disco Sport, D5, RrS and FFRR Between wheel sizes ............. sounds like they think you might just have Land from another planet........ Also you shouldn’t need to reprogram TPMS even if you put new Defender senors in the system should pick then up. When I used to put winter tyres on my Last RRS I was told the same by the dealer, that it can take up to 15 minutes of running for the system to detect new sensors, it was of course total rubbish. KwikFit used to change over my wheels for me and they had never heard of having to run 15 minutes per wheel changed then do the next one on any Range Rover with TPMS, stick on 4 new wheels and tyres, inflate to correct pressure, drive away and never any warnings until the pressure dropped enough over about 3 months to trigger the Low pressure warning! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #844128 16th Jul 2020 8:12pm
KBKLR

United Kingdom 
Will my old Disco 4 19 Wheels with Grabbers fit straight onto the new 110 Defender - I am assuming they will, and that the TPMS will continue to work??
Post #844130 16th Jul 2020 8:52pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
"programming a vehicle for wheel change"..... this is progress? Rolling with laughter

My transporter has a setting on the dash for "winter tyres", just click it and (assumung that winter tyres are slightly taller than normal road ones) it alters the speedo etc. no paying a kidney or spare leg to a stealership....

Still, I supposed you get a free Columbian ground virgin monkey nut coffee in a recyclable bamboo cup...
Post #844132 16th Jul 2020 9:05pm
Tim in Scotland

KBKLR wrote:
Will my old Disco 4 19 Wheels with Grabbers fit straight onto the new 110 Defender - I am assuming they will, and that the TPMS will continue to work??

No idea. I don’t know if the offset or whatever it is called is the same, for sure the hubs are different because of the new one’s brake mechanism Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #844134 16th Jul 2020 9:12pm
J77

Scotland 
When I changed my D5 wheels I bought new TPMS sensors from eBay as I wanted to keep the originals on the original wheels. They were a fraction of dealer prices and were advertised as “unlocked” and car picked them up instantly with no issues.
Post #844136 16th Jul 2020 9:19pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
KBKLR wrote:

Be careful with the offset. Land Rover wheels are all different offsets - even if they superficially look the same. Even if they don't rub, it'll affect the steering geometry, feedback and possibly the amount of bolt you're holding them on with.

Match the offset to the correct diameter wheels. Thumbs Up One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #846353 27th Jul 2020 11:42am
zilch

Australia 
Re: Wheel compatibility
Zeplin000 wrote:
Does anyone know if 19” OEM wheels will fit on a 110 which was built with 20”s from factory?

I’m aware that Defenders spec’d with bigger wheels come with bigger discs and callipers (must be for aesthetics I guess as I doubt the mass of the bigger wheels would warrant a bigger braking set up). If I opt for a smaller diameter rim would I run into issues?

It looks like a tight fit on the current 20s, so I’ll probably void the warranty even if I buy a set of LR 19”s.

The gloss black six twin spoke 19” fit the P400 which has the largest brake rotor/caliber set up currently,
until a V8 hits the market. Standard swap and zero cost option for the standard 20’s in the Australian
market. Exactly what I have spec’d on my order.. yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #846365 27th Jul 2020 12:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>