↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Defender 2020 90 Postponed? Cancelled?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Mean Green

Scotland 
Another opportunity for Ineos. If they can jump in with a SWB Grenadier, then they are on to a(nother) winner!

If you think about traditional 'farm spec' defenders - how many were 90s and how many 110?? I live in a Rural area of West Scotland - back in the day all the farms had 90s. Very few had 110!

I am sure there is a market out there for a basic 4x4 - a la 90 of old.
Post #845507 23rd Jul 2020 5:09pm
Avelingporter

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
I think most farmers have moved on from 90's. They mostly seem to use double cab PU's if they want towing or for around the fields they use 4x4 buggies, like from kubota, polaris, john deere etc. smaller, cheaper to own, less ground pressure etc etc.
Post #845510 23rd Jul 2020 5:14pm
J77

Scotland 
Farnell LR seem to have a few 90s advertised. My dealer group it’s all 110s

They have 25 available

https://www.farnelllandrover.com/new-land-rover/defender/
Post #845512 23rd Jul 2020 5:18pm
goodtimes

United States 
WCDAVE wrote:
On the Bronco - $100 deposit, but it is fully refundable. On the D90 I think in the states the 500 were allocated to dealers, not a car you can order. What would be the point, it only comes one way. My dealer said they had 3 allocated but they were already spoken for. One has an agreement that it will remain in the showroom for a certain period. I am not sue how much stock I put into things that salesmen tell me though.

Whether it's the Defender, the new C8 Corvette or the new Bronco, I believe the model is to take the temp on demand before diving in on maxing out the supply chain. Nothing could be worse than a glut on dealer lots. In all three of these cases though, I think they grossly underestimated demand and now have supply chain problems - throw in Covid and it means JLR can't deliver Defenders in a timely manner to avoid people cross shopping other vehicles. The Bronco may face the same issue, but it has a much wider audience. The C8 is bullet-proof. It's next closest competitor costs twice as much and is no where near the same performance level.

I am seeing more (numbers) of 110s at dealers - interestingly some are still First Editions Neutral . Not sure how the "First" Editions are not beating to port regular allocation and customer orders.....It is telling that I can't even configure a 90 on the US site as I can on the UK site though. I'm guessing that means a long wait is in store.

3-4 weeks ago there were just over 200 110s on US lots per cargurus.com which I find to be a comprehensive source. There are currently 179 available despite certainly more orders / dealership deliveries. So demand is outpacing supply and the float is shrinking, in the US at least.
Post #845528 23rd Jul 2020 6:58pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Avelingporter wrote:
I think most farmers have moved on from 90's. They mostly seem to use double cab PU's if they want towing or for around the fields they use 4x4 buggies, like from kubota, polaris, john deere etc. smaller, cheaper to own, less ground pressure etc etc.

You hear this a lot but I still see loads of farmers 90s knocking about, and a fair few 110s too. Landrovers are still popular on farms and some are getting pretty old and still working hard. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #845602 24th Jul 2020 6:52am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
goodtimes wrote:
3-4 weeks ago there were just over 200 110s on US lots per cargurus.com which I find to be a comprehensive source. There are currently 179 available despite certainly more orders / dealership deliveries. So demand is outpacing supply and the float is shrinking, in the US at least.

Isn't there an official JLR North America website with a full dealer search function?

179 or 200 doesn't sound like much inventory to go around the full dealer network. Do you know how many there are?

If demand is outpacing supply, rather than dealers cutting inventory because demand is lower, then I'd expect the discounts previously shown to be removed. Is that happening?

Have a look here:
https://inventory.landroverusa.com/new/

216 currently available ~ I wouldn't use your logic to suggest the complete opposite of your conclusion ~ but would you?

Click image to enlarge

And then a 2nd search, with the same search filters, brings up more:

Click image to enlarge

Are people handing them back?

Can it really be that hard to get something like this correct:

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Supacat on 24th Jul 2020 9:27am. Edited 4 times in total
Post #845618 24th Jul 2020 8:23am
NinetyTD4

Wales 2012 Defender 90 Other SW Keswick Green
For me a 90 is the only interesting size, but I guess the 110 is selling so poor under C19 ... JLR may also read here on the already apparent design flaws of the 90 proposal that they went back to drawing board? Never forget: cars have owner, Landrover have field service personnel.
Post #845634 24th Jul 2020 8:59am
LRSpain004

Spain 
There have of course been reports in the Auto press that JLR will be reducing the number models (XJ already delayed) and possible the 90 has been axed due to the cost restructuring at JLR. They were barley squeaking by last year but now with sales down 10-25% its anyones guess how they will survive long term in the form they are. You could see D5 and now D6 being cut. Why on earth would you want two almost identical (segment) vehicles. One is ugly at the back and one is ugly from the front.
Post #845651 24th Jul 2020 9:38am
dailysleaze

United Kingdom 
^ bring back the good old days of cut and shut!
Post #845659 24th Jul 2020 10:03am
J77

Scotland 
The 90 isn’t being axed!
Post #845663 24th Jul 2020 10:15am
walfy

An interesting post on 1 of the FB groups yesterday about the specs of MY21. Seems they're cutting a few items that were standard on first release and now making them options, the poster on FB had a screen grab of some dealer info but I'm not sure he should of been given sight oof it let alone a copy.
Suround cameras will be an option
Wading indicator thingy Option
Some of the pack are being split down
There were a few others but I can't remember and don't want to speculate.
But on the good side, there are new colours coming, another Blue and another grey there was another but again I can't remember.

I'll try and find the post again but I think it's been removed. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #845668 24th Jul 2020 10:52am
J77

Scotland 
LR are good at that, my Velar came with adaptive dynamics as standard then LR made them optional Rolling Eyes

They won’t drop the price though.
Post #845669 24th Jul 2020 10:56am
Tim in Scotland

When you see the choice of colours for an RRS the Defenders selection is pretty poor. Pity though that most of the RRS colours are dull as ditchwater
https://buildyour.landrover.co.uk/lr2/r/ex..._a-hsedyn/ Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #845670 24th Jul 2020 11:09am
J77

Scotland 
The worst by far for colour choice is the Evoque.

So I assume that when the 90 can be ordered it will be 21MY, just as I had a spec sorted Evil or Very Mad
Post #845672 24th Jul 2020 11:12am
walfy

J77 wrote:
LR are good at that, my Velar came with adaptive dynamics as standard then LR made them optional Rolling Eyes

They won’t drop the price though.

Same here, the wifes Ewok is HSE Dynamic, but without the dynamic suspension. Has all the other touches, bodywork, trim etc but not the important bit. You'd of thought the name would give it away. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #845674 24th Jul 2020 11:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>