↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Rear recovery plates/ rings
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

Rear recovery plates/ rings
Just back from collecting my spare wheel cover from the dealer that I purchased the car from and asked about the cost to supply/fit the recovery eyes that PowerfullUK did the video off......... those eyes have been removed from the JLR accessory list but he was able to tell me that the recovery ring thing that screws into the mount for those eyes costs £33-50 a piece and he reckoned that the ring has the same load rating as the accessory eyes.......... which cost in excess of £300 fitted. If that’s the case and they are as strong then I think I’ll just go for a couple more of the screw in ones Rather than run the risk of the apprentice getting the job of dismantling the back end of my car...... Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #844095 16th Jul 2020 4:27pm
Arkaig

Scotland 
he reckoned that the ring has the same load rating as the accessory eyes.........

Not for recovery purposes!

Whistle Whistle Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #844299 17th Jul 2020 6:16pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Even though the screw in eyelet seems to attach to a plate bolted to the rear cross member using the same four location holes as the accessory eyes, I would agree with Arkaig that it is questionable if it could withstand the same punishment as the accessory eyes. Wouldn't the thread on the screw in eyelet be weaker than a solid cast eyelet?

Probably OK though unless you start doing a load of kinetic snatch recoveries or putting massive forces on it.
Post #844326 17th Jul 2020 7:55pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I wouldn't like to put an angled load on the screw-in jobbie.
Post #844337 17th Jul 2020 9:09pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
So the "toughest Landrover yet" and most off-road orientated model in the range, doesn't come with recovery points fitted as standard.
The official recovery point costs £300 fitted.
Or it did, because they've been deleted from the accessory list.
Just don't get stuck until they sort out the problem. Laughing

Meanwhile, in the same week, Ford announces the new Bronco, which can be ordered with 35" off-road tyres on every model from the factory.
They're not messing around. Thumbs Up
Post #844350 17th Jul 2020 9:40pm
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Where are the recovery points on the old defender?
Post #844358 17th Jul 2020 10:13pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
There we're a few easy added options. A NATO hitch bolted directly to the rear crossmember. Jate rings fitted through the chassis rails. Or the factory tow bar was usually upto the job.

The world has moved on though, it's normal to get recovery points now on an off-road focused model, like the Jeep Rubicon for example.
Post #844411 17th Jul 2020 10:57pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Re: Rear recovery plates/ rings
Tim in Scotland wrote:
those eyes have been removed from the JLR accessory list

New owner feedback? Seems obvious to spec them for factory fit and only charge the parts difference price? Or even nil cost option?
Post #844601 18th Jul 2020 9:00pm
Tim in Scotland

The answer I got from LRCS was “they are dealer fit accessories now not factory fitted” which was a heap of sh Censored t
because most if the kit on the accessory /option list and is listed there is dealer fitted. I’m having the dealer fit roof rails and crossbars during the week, they are dealer fit options but show on the website........
Both my supplying dealer and the local dealer were surprised they have been removed because that is also their source of info for ordering them up for the owner, the part dept at the supplying dealer also searched in his MicroCat system and couldn’t find them. PowerfullUK can supplying them though! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #844622 18th Jul 2020 10:10pm
walfy

I looked at Powerfull UK website earlier today and the rings weren't listed, also the RAI wasn't either. Despite him saying in his videos that they'd be up shortly. Perhaps he's struggling to get them.
But he did manage to get a shipment of blingy wheels though with a load more on the way. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #845817 24th Jul 2020 10:54pm
umbertob

United States 
I ordered those rings from Britcar a couple of weeks ago... And I am not even getting my new 110 in a month! I really consider those recovery points almost essential off-road. I just wish PowerfulUK would now sell me those trim pieces he created for them, he said he would list them but hasn't yet... Perhaps he's just busy. Anyway, the parts from the UK arrived here in California via DHL in a couple of days, and the price was good. I figured local dealers here may take forever to get them and charge ma a fortune to install. I plan on installing them myself, looks easy enough to remove that bumper cover. They are massive hunks of metal.
Post #845834 25th Jul 2020 5:24am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
DSC-off wrote:
So the "toughest Landrover yet" and most off-road orientated model in the range, doesn't come with recovery points fitted as standard.

The old Defender didnt have them! 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #845857 25th Jul 2020 9:05am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
walfy wrote:
I looked at Powerfull UK website earlier today and the rings weren't listed, also the RAI wasn't either. Despite him saying in his videos that they'd be up shortly. Perhaps he's struggling to get them.
But he did manage to get a shipment of blingy wheels though with a load more on the way.

He seems to collect parts from the counter at the main dealer - I did wonder what discount he's getting/margin he's adding to then be able to retail them and make a return. Although, there's the convenience of him actually holding stock and then maybe adding value to the kits, like the added retaining washers, spacer pieces and possibly inserting the rivnuts before posting for the RAI?
Post #845861 25th Jul 2020 9:16am
Tim in Scotland

Here is what Britcar are selling as an OEM part, amazingly low price for an LR accessory at £33 a piece!
https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/663...w_defender

I’ve bought a lot of stuff from PowerfulUK over the years 99% of it has come in JLR original packaging even after they have modified it like colour coding or chrome trimming it Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #845864 25th Jul 2020 9:27am
Tim in Scotland

AndrewS wrote:
DSC-off wrote:

The old Defender didnt have them!

The old Defender only had lashing down eyes for transportation and recovery eyes IIRC were never ever a factory accessory like these ones are. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #845866 25th Jul 2020 9:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>