↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Rear recovery plates/ rings
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Do you think that's a typo? It does seem amazing value but I see that it's not a stocked part, so maybe the mistake will be realised when they first get one in?

Maybe they've transposed the price for the screw in ring?
Post #845869 25th Jul 2020 9:37am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Tim in Scotland wrote:
AndrewS wrote:
DSC-off wrote:
So the "toughest Landrover yet" and most off-road orientated model in the range, doesn't come with recovery points fitted as standard.

The old Defender didnt have them!

The old Defender only had lashing down eyes for transportation and recovery eyes IIRC were never ever a factory accessory like these ones are.

Thats what I was implying Thumbs Up 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #845870 25th Jul 2020 9:37am
Supacat

Not sure what you mean by "factory accessory" but LR always offered these recovery options:

Click image to enlarge

The pins on the first two - before someone points out towball/recovery issues....
Post #845874 25th Jul 2020 9:48am
AndrewS

Thud The old Defender did not come with recovery points as standard.

All those item are for towing not recovery!! 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #845880 25th Jul 2020 10:01am
Tim in Scotland

I’ve just returned from town and paid a visit to the parts dept at the local dealership where I was informed that accessory part number LR139442 - Rear Recovery Loop - New Defender isn’t designed for my car and they wouldn’t supply and fit them to my car even if I wanted them......... I feel a PM to LRCS forming asking them to apply corrective treatment to Pentland Stirling’s Parts and accessories spotty youth on duty this morning. I don’t have the kit to fit these myself and I would prefer the dealership to do it but I may end up going to my village garage LR independent instead. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #845906 25th Jul 2020 11:54am
AndrewS

If the little spotty urchin was using your chassis or reg number number ie vehicle specific he is correct its not an available part supplied on your car. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #845909 25th Jul 2020 12:18pm
Tim in Scotland

He was using my registration number. So I need the Vin from an X? Or to buy them from Britcar as Umbertob suggested Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #845913 25th Jul 2020 12:41pm
AndrewS

Or just walk in with the the part number and say 'oi urchin get me two of these' Thumbs Up 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #845916 25th Jul 2020 12:58pm
Tim in Scotland

Rolling with laughter thanks Andrew, I don’t see what the difference between the models is unless of course they are fitted as ornamentation on the X......... and not actually meant to be used. I have PM’d LRCS for some clarification Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #845917 25th Jul 2020 12:59pm
Supacat

AndrewS wrote:

All those item are for towing not recovery!!

On that you are plain wrong.

Yes the jaws can be used for towing, but they also are perfectly fit and able to be used for recovery. LR's own special vehicles operation used to fit them regularly not least for Camel Trophy.
Post #845925 25th Jul 2020 2:03pm
AndrewS

FFS Here we go again, are you qualified to make these statements? I take it you have never been on a vehicle recovery course?
Just because some half wits at LandRover use them does not make it right. The name of the item is Tow Jaw, the hint is in the first name in the description TOW.

Google Damage to Defender Crossmember due to recovery and see what comes up Thumbs Up

A proper recovery point will have fixings out to the chassis to spread the load (a bridal). The fixings to the chassis will be in shear along with the fixings into the crossmember that are in tension. With a tow jaw you are relying on a couple of threads in a nut Shocked Its not a pretty site when they fail under load, especially when they leave the vehicle Shocked

This is what a proper recovery point should look like, note the two arms going out to the chassis acting as a bridal.

130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #845943 25th Jul 2020 4:08pm
AndrewS

See below a very basic comparison between a tow fixing on the left and a recovery point on the right in red. Green lines are bolts as you can see the proper fixing on the right will do a proper job is transmitting the forces through the chassis. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

PS I know ive cross threaded the one bolt Whistle 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #845946 25th Jul 2020 4:27pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Land Rover tow bars, both fixed and variable height, are braced back to the chassis Rolling Eyes
Post #845947 25th Jul 2020 4:44pm
umbertob

United States 
Supacat wrote:
Do you think that's a typo? It does seem amazing value but I see that it's not a stocked part, so maybe the mistake will be realised when they first get one in?

Maybe they've transposed the price for the screw in ring?

Mine were billed at €35.00/each, plus shipping, which was substantial of course. Even with about $60 extra for international DHL shipment of a very heavy little box, I can't imagine a US dealer selling these rings for less than US$100/150 a piece eventually, so Britcar definitely looked like a bargain from here. It says they don't stock them on their web site, but they shipped mine immediately, as soon as I agreed to the shipping fee.
Post #845961 25th Jul 2020 5:39pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
At least the old useless coal powered outgoing defenders' recovery rings/eyes/JATE rings/hitches etc could be bolted on in 10 minutes without the aid of a laptop... Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing
Post #845976 25th Jul 2020 6:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 6 <123456>