↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Defender rattle!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

There is now a Service Bulletin for the replacement of A pillar trims............ as of 23 July they are on back order with the factory according to my dealer. Total replacement if both body coloured trims is required.
After replacing the damaged rear passenger door window scraper seal I still have the same leak, just worse!
I also now need a replacement plastic retraining clip on the front passenger side wheel arch trim - I think it got broken by the dealers when they were fitting the Classic Mud Flaps Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #847531 2nd Aug 2020 6:39am
J77

Scotland 
I’ve got a test drive booked for Saturday, I’ll keep an ear out for any squeaks and rattles.
Post #847546 2nd Aug 2020 8:51am
mikelike

I just watched a YouTube video comparison between a Disco 5 and a Landcriuser Prado
That popped up on my news feed and there summary of the two vehicles after some torture
Testing revealed some interesting results , land Rover terrain response seemed to perform better than the Toyota crawl control but they were very concerned about the long term durability of the alloy Discovery as it creaked and groaned from the body and they could feel body twist that the ladder framed Toyota showed no signs of .

This Defender sharing the same architecture may not be as rigid as we have been lead to believe , hence rattles and squeaks appearing all ready .
Post #847590 2nd Aug 2020 11:38am
spudfan

Ireland 
Car manufacturers have been fitting windows and interior trim for years so you would expect a new model to be problem free in these areas. For all it's perceived short comings I never had water ingress through a window or any issue with trim rattles on any Defender I have owned. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #847615 2nd Aug 2020 1:40pm
Tim in Scotland

Maybe you haven’t but they had been in production 40 or 50 years when you bought it, I’m sure in 1948 there were a few issues when the then new Land Rover Series One went on sale. I accept that I have bought a new designed vehicle and accept there will be the odd problem until they have been building them for a while. What I will not accept is being told by dealers that “they are all like that sir” or “ Sir we’ve never come across that problem before” (which to be honest no dealer has yet said to me about this car) when you know that hundreds of other owners are posting about exactly the same issue on forums like this. Somebody has to buy the early ones to find the issues. I’m sure even Rolls Royce has issues with newly launched models, just you don’t find too many owners forums where the owners shout about it. I owned one of the earliest delivered RRS’s in 2005, it was perfect. The same with the Evoque I took delivery of on the launch day, only a wind noise that LR contacted me within 2 days (I took delivery on a Saturday) and the noise issue was fixed by the end of the week. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 2nd Aug 2020 2:13pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #847618 2nd Aug 2020 2:02pm
spudfan

Ireland 
I don't understand how they can get fitting trim and windows wrong unless the design was wrong in which case no amount of trips to the dealer will fix it. You have more experience of the vehicle than any of the workshop staff that will be tasked with repairing the defects. As we all know dealing with main dealers it is the workshop manager and the workshop staff who are important not the sales staff. Surely at the design stage they could at least get the basics right. It would be a lot cheaper and efficient than trying to fix an inbuilt fault. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #847619 2nd Aug 2020 2:12pm
Tim in Scotland

My window seal problem appears not to have been caused by the deformed seal the car arrived with. The problem now is where is the water getting in, we know where it is coming out. To me that is a quality control issue as I’m sure that the car has sat near Gaydon throughout lockdown and the water puddle should have been picked up there before shipment to the dealers. Especially with such an important new model for the company. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #847622 2nd Aug 2020 2:20pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Any new car purchase is a big outlay and manufacturers need to understand that customers are entitled to a top quality product for their money. The quality control checks either are not stringent enough or enough time is not being allocated to staff to do them thoroughly. Get the basics like quality from design to delivery right and you will have much less need for warranty repairs and the inconvenience it causes the customer. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #847624 2nd Aug 2020 2:32pm
Telemarkskier

United Kingdom 
Tim in Scotland wrote:
My window seal problem appears not to have been caused by the deformed seal the car arrived with. The problem now is where is the water getting in, we know where it is coming out. To me that is a quality control issue as I’m sure that the car has sat near Gaydon throughout lockdown and the water puddle should have been picked up there before shipment to the dealers. Especially with such an important new model for the company.

I would have thought the LR dealership would have had a mechanic inside with the door card removed and then had matey spray water from a hose on the window, door handles etc to see where the water comes in and drains out. Sorry you are having problems with what potentially is a superb vehicle, hope your problems are solved rapidly.
Post #847675 2nd Aug 2020 8:34pm
BogMonster

Falkland Islands 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Is it bad that I read the title of this thread and thought ".......available from the Genuine Accessory catalogue for £175.00, just under the plastic Dog Bowl for about 50 quid" Rolling with laughter ---
2006 Defender 110 SW 300Tdi • 2011 Ford Ranger XLT crewcab • 2015 Defender 110 Station Wagon Utility TDCi
Post #847710 2nd Aug 2020 11:44pm
KBKLR

United Kingdom 
Does anyone have the actual service bulletin number for the A pillar trims (UK) or any definitive info that I can give to my dealer when the car goes in for a couple of bits and pieces next week. That would be really appreciated
Post #854081 3rd Sep 2020 6:10pm
Tim in Scotland

I don’t but I had a phone call from my local dealership in Stirling that they received mine on Tuesday but the earliest they can take the car is 21st September. I’ll take a look at the report from when it was in for the (unsuccessful) attempt to cure the rain water leak and get back Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #854091 3rd Sep 2020 6:40pm
KBKLR

United Kingdom 
Thanks Tim - that would be helpful.
Post #854094 3rd Sep 2020 6:50pm
Tim in Scotland

The number on my invoice is N472, Topix isn’t letting me log in to see if it’s there under that number and googling the number turns up nothing Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #854095 3rd Sep 2020 6:56pm
KBKLR

United Kingdom 
Thanks Tim - if anyone else can add to this that would be great
Post #854099 3rd Sep 2020 7:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>