↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Angry Hippies Lose Complaint Case Against Land Rover
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Angry Hippies Lose Complaint Case Against Land Rover
Or did they?

"What's wrong with showing a Defender in a forest?

Depicting a car in its natural environment, or at least in its preferred environment, in commercials isn't anything new. Subaru does it with its rugged, all-wheel drive lineup. Ford does it, showing its trucks hauling and towing, and Land Rover does it too. The Indian-owned British company recently got in hot water for an ad, but now it has been let off the hook.

TheGuardian reports that that the UK's Advertising Standards Authority, after receiving 96 complaints about the ad showing the Land Rover Defender in a pristine looking forest, have decided to let it run. The ad has text along with the picture reading, "Life is so much better without restrictions" and that the Defender has the "capacity to go almost anywhere and do anything. If you take one for an extended test drive, a whole new world of freedom awaits."

Click image to enlarge

That seems pretty standard to us, but the complainers had an issue, saying the picture made it look like driving through the forest and crushing small trees and animals was okay. Land Rover clapped back with the fact that the Defender was on an established trail.

"The overall impression of the ad suggested that the vehicle could be driven without any restrictions, including in ecologically sensitive and off-road environments such as forests, where in doing so it would be likely to cause damage to vulnerable habitats and vegetation," the ASA said.

"We considered that the ad encouraged and condoned the use of a vehicle in a way that was detrimental to ecologically sensitive environments, and was therefore socially irresponsible."

The ASA reversed course Wednesday, absolving the ad from any rule breaking. It also said that roads like this are very common in rural areas where 4x4s are vital. "We therefore considered that the vehicle depicted in the ad was not being used irresponsibly … and that the ad was not socially irresponsible," the ASA concluded. "No further action necessary."

The ADA and Land Rover both say the intent was about getting out after Covid restrictions, and not just trampling on the forest for the fun of it, hence the "life is better without restrictions" piece. The ASA also determined that "it was not clear that the vehicle was definitely driving off-road, illegally or irresponsibly."

https://carbuzz.com/news/angry-hippies-los...land-rover
Post #931402 27th Nov 2021 11:55am
XplusYplusZ

It looks like it's on a very well defined road/track..possibly a fire-road used to help maintain the forest..

To avoid terrible hypocrisy, I assume these people never walk in the woods or natural environments - to reduce their own impact of trampling trees and plants..
Post #931416 27th Nov 2021 3:13pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
In the words of Captain Mainwaring -
“Words fail me”. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #931422 27th Nov 2021 3:34pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
Post #931423 27th Nov 2021 3:36pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
People love to complain. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.indepen...html%3famp WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #931428 27th Nov 2021 4:48pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
There was a programme on the BBC last week with Simon Reeve and he was walking up Scafell, there are thousands of people a day walking up the same path and they are struggling to keep it in a reasonable state of repair. The guy doing some of the repairs was saying that years ago the path was wide enough for two people to pass, it is now about 20 feet wide in places and getting wider all the time Twisted Evil

I run events in Kielder Forest (link in my sig file Wink ) where we take people out into the forest for the day in their own 4x4's and we are running into more and more problems about the fact that we are driving dirty 4x4's through the forest. If it wasn't for the fact that we are a Mountain Rescue team using these events to raise money I don't think we would be able to continue. A lot of the people don't realise that if they fall or come off their mountain bike in the forest it will be a dirty 4x4 that comes to rescue them Laughing Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #931444 27th Nov 2021 6:07pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
Zed wrote:
People love to complain. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.indepen...html%3famp

Good that the anti-vaxxers are going to boycott Tesco, means I won't run into any of them if I do any shopping in one of their branches Confused Laughing Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #931445 27th Nov 2021 6:09pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Tesco’s missed a trick with the anti-vax boycott. They could now claim their stores are super-spreader free! WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #931449 27th Nov 2021 6:15pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Hairy Dan wrote:
There was a programme on the BBC last week with Simon Reeve and he was walking up Scafell, there are thousands of people a day walking up the same path and they are struggling to keep it in a reasonable state of repair. The guy doing some of the repairs was saying that years ago the path was wide enough for two people to pass, it is now about 20 feet wide in places and getting wider all the time Twisted Evil

I run events in Kielder Forest (link in my sig file Wink ) where we take people out into the forest for the day in their own 4x4's and we are running into more and more problems about the fact that we are driving dirty 4x4's through the forest. If it wasn't for the fact that we are a Mountain Rescue team using these events to raise money I don't think we would be able to continue. A lot of the people don't realise that if they fall or come off their mountain bike in the forest it will be a dirty 4x4 that comes to rescue them Laughing

Up there the second weekend in Dec Thumbs Up. Trust me its a desolate place at night in December on a MTB. Would be very happy to see a 4x4
Post #931457 27th Nov 2021 7:13pm
Supacat

It's a mistake Landrover of old might not have made and whilst times have moved on; certainly there's no evidence of "Tread Lightly" in recent advertising.
Post #931459 27th Nov 2021 7:23pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Driving down a clearly defined (albeit unpaved) road? Give me strength… glad the advertising folks came to their senses in the end… Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.

Last edited by Cheshire110 on 27th Nov 2021 11:19pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #931498 27th Nov 2021 10:58pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Supacat wrote:
It's a mistake Landrover of old might not have made….

Click image to enlarge

Whistle Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #931499 27th Nov 2021 11:00pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
It's all stupid

Especially this, fools who complain

That said there should be more 'green lanes' more access to these places to explore in a 4*4 and more accepting everyones different needs

I find these people eco people at best silly idiots that's not just blindly believe rubbish bit don't think things through.

For example, we went to a Christmas lights affair a few days ago, popular one, hundreds and I mean hundreds of people coming from all over, obviously driving (nothing wrong with that) car park lit with small lighting rigs (diesel's) lights in the countryside powered by...no fairy dust and backed up or powered with generators, concessions etc etc and I did hear someone say something about people in 4*4s!!

They need to stop vilifying cars and car journeys, maybe focus on actual pollution and other important issues well before they get that wrong and not assume that because you drive a car that's actually the environment killer etc Mike
Post #931505 28th Nov 2021 1:18am
Supacat

Cheshire110 wrote:
Driving down a clearly defined (albeit unpaved) road? Give me strength… glad the advertising folks came to their senses in the end…

It's the headline that's the killer, not sure how you can read anything into the nature of the track the vehicle sits on. Imagine it's on private land, where does the headline sit then?

Clearly, the ASA had a change of thought, but the original verdict was made by them, was published, and you have to expect was agreed with by many.
Post #931516 28th Nov 2021 6:58am
Supacat

Cheshire110 wrote:
Supacat wrote:
It's a mistake Landrover of old might not have made….

Click image to enlarge

Whistle

That's my point, LR moved away from this type of advertising, moved away from Camel Trophy, moved into Tread Lightly and other such soft touch approaches; and now it seems the corporate memory has been ignored, forgotten, or just managed by people who have no direct connection with the history of the company.

The damage to JLR was done with the first verdict, the reversal of the decision does not alter that.
Post #931517 28th Nov 2021 7:04am
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>