↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus Tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
Oakseywick

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
I still really like them good all weathers good grip in mud not sure if they are much quieter than my bf Goodrich. My only issue is they are hard to get hold of at the moment in 265/70/16 which is what I have and I need a spare. ☹️

Click image to enlarge
 Andy
Defender 90
Defender 110 XS
Cupra 290
Post #885958 16th Feb 2021 7:42pm
Tr90

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Alveston Red
Sorry. I don’t have pictures. But I can tell you I am very impressed with the tyre.

Have done about 2500 miles on them. In wet, snow, mud and dry roads. Really impressed with them. They stick really well and I have felt very confident in all conditions
Post #885978 16th Feb 2021 9:09pm
K.M

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Would you say they are more aligned to the factory fitted Continentals or the KOs?
Post #886171 17th Feb 2021 7:18pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Thank you. During lockdown and a lot of time spent staring at photos of Defenders, I’ve developed bipolarity. At extreme ends of the spectrum. A tyre looking good is still important to me, sturdy, purposeful, looks like an off road tyre rather than an SUV tyre. So a robust shouldered tyre is a must (Think this ATR, or the ST Maxx, BFG KO2s etc).

But then I flounder. I can’t decide between what percentage I want for what task. Road vs off-road. Summer v winter. Dry v rain v snow. I’m still at the road biased end of things, so very much like what I have heard above, but then a part of me, tucked away in a very dark corner, thinks Censored it, go big, go for the Cooper STT Pro. I saw my first one in the flesh a couple of weeks ago, albeit the spare on a Jeep, and I like.....

So damned hard.

I’ll likely need to change them at the far end of summer, so that gives me at least another 150 days to flip-flop between each tyre model. Big Cry Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #886240 18th Feb 2021 8:14am
MBurns48

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Baltic Blue
I have put 15k miles on mine (albeit on my Disco 4 in 255/55r19) and I've been mega impressed. No noticeable road noise, handle very well on all road conditions, in fact better than the road biased Goodyear tyres the car came with.

They've been used in all sorts of rough weather and conditions, e.g. through all the Scottish winter just gone, with lots of snow and slush and they've never put a foot wrong. I found myself "trying" to catch them out, to see where their limits were but honestly I couldn't do it without being highly reckless so I gave up! I've also had them in very muddy and stoney tracks and ruts, where again they've gripped very well and been very sure footed and confidence inspiring, especially considering their nature as an AT tyre.

I think the biggest advantage of these is that they're so good off road and in snow etc, with no real drop in on road performance. To top it all off, they look awesome and after 15k of hard miles they still look very fresh and are in great condition. Fantastic tyre!

Now, would I put them on my 90 over a set of KO2's? Hmm.. not sure. I think the KO2 is probably still a more "robust" all terrain, with a deeper set of side lugs and tread in general but I'd want the Scorpions on if I was going to do a lot of winter/road driving without a doubt. So I guess it depends on what you use your vehicle for the most. High mileage workhorse? I'd probably go for the scorpion for their awesome on road, all season performance, combined with their very acceptable off road performance. Not so high mileage tourer/weekender (with potentially more offroad), probs KO2.

Hope this helps!
Post #891284 14th Mar 2021 9:24am
Grenadier

^^^ Brilliant review, thank you. Mine is a daily driver, new job meaning lots of miles across the region, twisty alpine roads, in all four seasons. Sounds like they could be just the ticket. You say they look good, but how do you think they compare with your KO2s in a Defender setting. I don't want to put on a tyre that looks puny and out of proportion to my DC. Do they have the same presence of the KO2 or something like the ST Maxx, even with smaller side lugs? In all other regards they sound perfect. Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #891402 14th Mar 2021 6:30pm
MBurns48

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Baltic Blue
In terms of looks I'm afraid it's difficult for me to give a fair opinion, as I have only seem them in 255/55R19, but I think they look great on my Disco. Really great in fact!

I wouldn't have thought they'd have quite the presence of a KO2 (assuming you're going for a standard defender size), but they still look really good in my opinion. They've a very pleasing pattern I think, and do have side wall lugs etc for a "chunky" look (as well as the practical application). I'd have no issues putting them on my defender if I was to use it as my every day vehicle. They don't look like a road biased AT tyre, eg cooper discoverer at3 etc. They're more in line with "proper" AT tyres such as the KO2, ST MAXX. Think of a beefed up GG AT3 and you're probably not far from the mark looks wise. Again, I haven't seen them in Defender sizes, only on my D4, so take it with a pinch of salt.
Post #891432 14th Mar 2021 8:58pm
Oakseywick

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
My pictures above show them grenadier Andy
Defender 90
Defender 110 XS
Cupra 290
Post #891441 14th Mar 2021 9:29pm
Grenadier

So they do. Shocked
Rolling with laughter Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #891444 14th Mar 2021 9:38pm
Black Puma

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Sumatra Black
I have been following this thread for a while. Possibly my next tyre.

What puzzles me, as I'm not technically minded in this area. The difference of the superlight SL version. Apparently thinner sidewalls. Is this correct? Would love to hear others take on the specs.

Obviously thinner sidewall less durable for offroad? But better on-road and lighter where is counts, spinning mass.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #894006 26th Mar 2021 12:26am
Grenadier

As a daily driver, on twisty roads, road manners are important, which is why this tyre looks so good to me. However, aesthetics are also important and I never think low profile tyres look good on a Def, I much prefer a deeper, more robust side wall. So I don't think I'd drop down to the SL. When it comes to ordering a new tyre, probably end of summer, I'll likely ask my tyre guy to order one of three different tyres, and see which will looks best with the DC, which itself will have had a considerable cosmetic overhaul by then. This tyre vs the Cooper St Maxx and my current KO2s. But a part of me still likes the idea of going a little chunkier such as the Cooper AT3 XLT or the Discoverer STT Pro. Clearly I'll be reducing road manners, but they do look great. So I'll get a couple of those as well. Then do a line up against the DC's new look. All part of the autumn reveal Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #894032 26th Mar 2021 7:46am
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Regarding the difference between the 2 tyres.
Although they're both the same fitment size, 265/75/16, they have different load and speed ratings.

116T load index 116 = 1250 Kg and speed rating T = 118 mph
123/120S load index 123 = 1550 Kg and speed rating S = 113 mph, for a single tyre.
The second figure in the load index if given, 120 in the example above, is the load per tyre for dual mounted wheels. 1400kg.

Both would appear to be fine for a Defender 110, though the heavier construction of the 123/120 does have a higher load rating and it will be more robust for off-road use.
Post #894292 27th Mar 2021 11:38am
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Recently fitted 265/70x17 Scorpions and although only done around 100milles to bed them so far the road manners are excellent with no particular road noise......

Weather has been cracking the slabs today but stopping and cornering have been exactly as expected
Post #905875 31st May 2021 6:44pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Not done huge miles of late but enough to keep things bedding in nicely.......
Today we needed to collect some work stuff down past Scotch Corner and then decided to have a recce down towards Bolton Abbey / Skipton and back towards Leyburn for some stuff we may do later in the year
We had everything from pretty hot dry tarmac through to torrential rain and lots of standing water

Tyres never missed a beat and even on some blind crests, etc where I was caught out slightly by the road camber / ruts it just dug in and carried on.......
Excellent
Post #918209 22nd Aug 2021 6:32pm
Sussex110

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Corris Grey
I recently went for the AT Plus in 265/65 18, only had them fitted for a couple of weeks but I'm very impressed so far.

The old tyres were approx 8 years old so were probably hardening.

The change in terms of noise/whine has been quite a significant reduction, sidewalls don't appear to be as stiff as the old tyres so the handling feels a bit more fluid but in overall I'm quite impressed.

Recommend giving them a try...
Post #926723 21st Oct 2021 7:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234