↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Has anyone cancelled one?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Has anyone cancelled one?
Following the previous “Has anyone ordered one?”, just wondered if in view of the, shall we say, less than 100% enthusiasm for JLR’s latest offering, anyone on here has cancelled one?

I was one of the first to stick a deposit on a final Defender, dealer arranged for December 2015 delivery. When it was revealed that there’d be nothing special at all, just run-out stock at inflated prices (thirty grand as I recall for a base truck with no-air-con), I cancelled. And boy am I glad! Imagine how p….d off I’d be knowing that I owned a 2015 manufactured one when I could at least have had the satisfaction of driving a Defender made in its final year of construction, i.e. 2016.

I’ve owned LWB Station Wagons in all forms (including the not so common 6-cylinder petrol) continuously since 1971, my current 2.4 is due replacement. BUT, the current LWB offering is simply over-priced, the SWB has insufficient capacity for my needs.

This time round I didn’t place an early deposit, had I done so I would now be cancelling. Has anyone else?

Peter
Post #840397 29th Jun 2020 9:51am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hi Peter

If your following Tim's report of his 'new' one then its quite interesting and the comments that go with...

Obviously the market we are in with many people furlough, companies decreasing staff members and uncertain times its seems orders are someone lower than JLR thought....

In uncertain times there must be lots of people who have cancelled and I'm sure in Tims updates dealers already have a choice of stock pre specced cars. Its seems this choice will get larger with multiple dealers having pre ordered cars. I don't really understand this either unless the spec is exactly as you wanted. I would rather wait and choose the correct combination. However some people I guess don't want to wait.

Like you I have been on the configuration website a few times and it just doesn't look worth £60K?. My dads looking at changing his 2 year old FFRR for a new one and I started looking at these.... I can get one with less than 10K miles for less money than a Defender? In my book that's the Daddy and any day of the week looks at least worth the money... So I'm in no rush.I can keeo the old 2.4 for the School run Smile

I think its currently a buyers market, dealers will have hundreds of cars to shift but far less buyers, if your in the market there will be deals. Thumbs Up
Post #840415 29th Jun 2020 10:58am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I would have cancelled one if I'd ordered one in the first place, but I don't suppose that counts. Laughing
Post #840428 29th Jun 2020 11:47am
MrEleven

Scotland 
The defender im picking up on Wednesday was already in the showroom and did have quite a few extras i didnt need. Building my own came to 58k online and one I bought was 67.5k but I didn’t want to wait for one to get built.
Post #840437 29th Jun 2020 12:29pm
Ecco

Malaysia 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Galway Green
..such info is very hard to come by since JLR has put some serious effort to seek and hide anything and everything that may not be along official narrative...
Post #840440 29th Jun 2020 12:42pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
blackwolf wrote:
I would have cancelled one if I'd ordered one in the first place, but I don't suppose that counts. Laughing

Ditto 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #840508 29th Jun 2020 6:16pm
TACK

I cancelled my 2020 order as I didn’t like the look of it. I thought the launch colours, wheel designs, boxes on the side and plastic ladders all looked crap so I cancelled as it was not to my liking.
Post #840513 29th Jun 2020 6:48pm
ids

United Kingdom 
Didn't cancel an order but did have a deposit down (for 3 years) with dealer which I have had back.

I did the dealer and factory reveals too.

Whilst it looks pretty good and the specs are there I just don't want to be a tester for a brand new JLR product. There appears to be some QA issues already plus a LOT of chatter about Ingenium problems in general that I don't want to have to deal with. There are glaring design faults as well as poor material choices and I'm not convinced yet.

Just going to sit back and watch for now
Post #841419 3rd Jul 2020 5:14am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Stacey007 wrote:

Obviously the market we are in with many people furlough, companies decreasing staff members and uncertain times its seems orders are someone lower than JLR thought....

CV19 has obviously had an impact, but from launch in September 2019, advance orders flatlined from the get go, now JLR have said that test drives will be a shot of adrenaline for the order book, but in reality they need to reach for the defibrillator and charge for large discounts.
Post #841572 3rd Jul 2020 5:52pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Seems already there are lots of models available now brand new to choose from....that doesn't look good for a brand new model people have been waiting years for.

I very much doubt they are selling as well as they thought. We looked at them Tuesday just gone. I was underwhelmed to be honest and so was the family...we discussed it on the way home and the verdict was no.
Post #841584 3rd Jul 2020 6:36pm
J77

Scotland 
Most want their own spec, LR can slash as much as they like off the price but if it’s not the right spec then it won’t sell.
Post #841640 3rd Jul 2020 9:25pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
JLR are not helping themselves here one bit

As examples:

On the Land Rover UK web site under new vehicle look up, the Defender is at the bottom - makes it look less important

I took my wife's Velar in for its service today, at the front on the drive in bay where two RRS SVR's for sale. One at £95k and the other £104k. Land Rover clearly want to attract the minority and not the masses.

The Defender YouTube videos are mostly only 30 seconds long and recently are being repeated and hence not showing anything new.

Silver is an old colour that was popular in the 90's

Just my take on things
Post #841654 3rd Jul 2020 9:52pm
ids

United Kingdom 
Think you are all right.

I healthy discount would start it off. I still maintain its 10K overpriced base. If JLR are serious they really should start looking at base costs.

My other point is for a modern powertain the economy/emissions are utter Censored . Other vendors appear have much better outputs and have not missed the hybrid/electric steamroller. I'm not utter convinced by those but tieing the MHEV with the most powerful engine is an odd decision.

Time will tell. I'd be interested in what (if any) the Grenadier will make on sales....
Post #841657 3rd Jul 2020 10:00pm
Tim in Scotland

They are even removing some accessories from the configurator - I went searching for the Warn winch today - all £5000 of it and it’s gone. I contacted the virtual assistant thing on the website and the reply was :it’s now a dealer fit option so is not on the configurator now” so I told them that ALL the accessories on the website are dealer fit but you haven’t removed them! No response from LR to that............
I contacted the dealership by email at lunchtime, so far no reply as to whether or not they would like to take a further £5000 off me!

Regarding the fuel figures I’m getting way better than the official numbers with my D240. I was expecting mid-20’s basis the WLTP figure on the LR website. I know that LR’s trip computers are not known for their accuracy but I’m averaging 37-39 mpg on the TC and haven’t yet needed to put diesel into it - after just over 400 miles The fuel gauge shows 1/3rd of a tank remains out of an 85ltr tank. Even allowing 10% optimism of the TC I’m still getting more mpg than the official figure suggests I should. My driving so far is 16 miles each way to the nearest supermarket and to the garden centre. One trip to haul an anchor and chain to a marina 36 miles away for a friend, I don’t do any commuter type driving and I leave the climate control running all the time on “Auto” so far no offroad stuff in low range in that figure Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #841658 3rd Jul 2020 10:02pm
J77

Scotland 
There was a photo of one showing a fuel range well north of 500 miles.

Online help is useless I asked for clarification as to whether or not the 90s seats folded flat, this is what they sent me Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

For all the tech on the new Defender I’m surprised it didn’t come with the 2.0 diesel MHEV like the Evoque and DS do.
Post #841674 3rd Jul 2020 10:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>