↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Has anyone cancelled one?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
J77

Scotland 
Tim in Scotland wrote:
J77 wrote:
I was under the impression that all accessories be it mud flaps or a winch were dealer fitted?

Me too!

Miles, this is what the people at LR have yet to grasp, look after the customer when they have a disaster outside of the warranty and they are likely to come back again. LR has been trying too hard to gain “conquest” sales when they should be looking after the customers that they have already.

I asked my salesman about the winch, he says they can’t order it yet so they aren’t sure whether it will be fitted at the factory or by themselves. LR are not being very forth coming with information to either their dealers or customers.
Post #842321 7th Jul 2020 1:54pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
I thought the fitting instructions clearly showed a fully built vehicle having bits removed and swapped out. Wouldn't that suggest that it was never going to be a production line option?
Post #842326 7th Jul 2020 2:27pm
Tim in Scotland

Yeh, the fitting instructions are on the accessory fitting website, certainly wouldn’t want to attempt it myself! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #842331 7th Jul 2020 2:39pm
ids

United Kingdom 
Tim in Scotland wrote:
One thing I’m finding out with this car is just how many ex-customers JLR has............. most frequent comment is “ it looks fantastic but we had a Discovery Sport/ Evoque were the engine seized just out of warranty due to oil dilution and lR didn’t’ want to know us” or “ we had a wonderful Range Rover Sport but the crank snapped just out of warranty and Land Rover didn’t want to know us” “ We always used to have DefenderS on the farm but they were so unreliable / expensive to repair we Were forced sadly to buy a Japanese pickup that has never had a problem”
These are the things Land Rover needs to reflect on, people are not buying JLR cars because of the way that they have been previously treated by the company NOT by the dealers. Oil dilution and snapping cranks were design failures, they were not caused by the owners.

Don’t LR realise how very incompetent this makes them look?

People love the cars, but they find the company’s attitude to customers to be terrible

As ever, great points Tim. I am not sure JLR do actually get it. I have certainly not seen any proof that they do. I suspect time will tell and they will undoubtedly regret their actions. Its probably what stop another brand from buying them up.

I suspect BMW may of wanted to hoover them up at one point, but now would you want all that bad press and customer feeling?

IMHO - They feel they are premium brand (ie in tech like Apple [i'm not a fan mind] ) when they are more like Samsung. Some great ideas and try stuff but the quality is poor, customer service even worse.

It's put me off. As I said before I cancelled my long term deposit due to (over) cost, worries over reliablity and newness. My D3 has just clocked 250K and its not going to go on forever. I hoped the Defender was going to be it but I'm going to sit on the sidelines and watch what happens for the next 6 months.
Post #842425 7th Jul 2020 8:46pm
Tim in Scotland

TBH there is nothing wrong with the car, it does what is claimed of it. It had to have a name and what they called it didn’t make any difference to me, could have called it Freelander for all I care. I’m still have my TDi300 90, but there’s no comparison - longest drive between comfort breaks I’ve done in the 90 was 2hours and I HAD to stop because my right arm was felling like it was about to fall off. My ears were ringing and it was miserable driving it in the pouring rain over the higher sections of the M74. I never drove it any distance on a motorway again after that trip from Stirling to The Lakes to drive the Gatescarth Pass For an article by Bob Morrison of LRM. (Made it to the front cover and P62 of the June 2004 issue!)
The new one - so far I’ve only donE 30 miles on the motorway but it is sufficiently Range Rover comfortable and quiet that I would be able to do the trip direct to London with only a meal/toilet break - and going on my present fuel consumption I would manage the run without needing to refuel too. Yes it isn’t as characterful as as the old one, but things have moved on since 1947, you cannot avoid complex electronics and much of the rest I could live without but they are there for safety stars which also helps to get the insurance down. I had to ask my insurer to recalculate my premium for the new one because they sent me a cheque for a refund of over paid premium when I told them I had changed from the Countryman PHEV to the 110!
Now I’ve 550 miles on the odo and the fuel gauge is down to a quarter of a tank- 21ltrs left out of 85, enough to give me another weeks driving before I need to refuel. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #842435 7th Jul 2020 9:13pm
ids

United Kingdom 
Intresting points.

I'm a big lad and getting older so comfort is important. I have done my time over the years in Series and classic Defenders and I have no rose tinted glasses for them at all. They are of a different age. I don't have issue with electronics either.

Think the sloppy build issues and lots of chatter about Ingenium faults is part of it.... I also feel some of the materials and design are poor (Seat backs in rear/rear floor design/rear door opening) so will wait and see how that goes.

I shall still be looking at used D5/RRS as well Defender presently. Also have a LR Experiance in the queue (I said D5 or Defender)

Ill be watching these threads with interest.

They havent lost me - but two of my mates they certainly have.
Post #842443 7th Jul 2020 9:38pm
JackW

United States 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Coniston Green
The Discovery 5 is certainly comfortable - I certainly wouldn't rule it out. I've really enjoyed mine.

Click image to enlarge
Post #842447 7th Jul 2020 9:49pm
dannyson

I suspect those claiming 'crankshaft failure and LR didn't want to know' etc - are those that ditched LR servicing and went independent - thus losing any LR 'goodwill'.

In 2019 my Disco4 failed MOT on prop shaft bearing failure - cost around £680 as I recall ..... repaired foc as a goodwill gesture.

5 year service plan ended yesterday ... Big Cry ... but managed to get all 5 done (only 27.500 miles on clock - to me from brand new) - so now taken out a 2 year plan for over £2,000 - which includes belts at 7 years. So at least price is fixed (apart from any VAT changes) and maybe get 'good will' if crank goes - also belt and braces with WD!

Somewhat over the top maybe - had hoped to change up to a PHEV Defender next year - but this looks unlikely now......

I have to say though LR build quality was pretty poor IMO - D4 showing 'rust bubbles' on door frame - now going down the 6 year rust warranty route FFS! (and a lot more quality problems on delivery in 2015) - hope its got better - but I'm not holding my breath!

Just my pennyworth....

Last edited by dannyson on 8th Jul 2020 12:09am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #842462 7th Jul 2020 11:15pm
Tim in Scotland

What really annoyed me about my last RRS was I had the 5 year service agreement, it had had 3 of the 5 services and why wouldn’t I use the following 2 left of the agreement? It just didn’t make sense to not extend the warranty on a car with full service history.
I have religiously stuck with MD servicing for all my Land Rovers because I understand that not withstanding the dire standards of some servicing (not my problem but very annoying) at Main Dealers I know how important it is within the JLR approved used scheme to maintain the record. I kept my TDi’s extended warranty going until it was 12 years old but the Labour charge per hour was crippling on an old car that only did 1100 -1500 miles between MOT’s so I moved over to the nearby LR trained Indie and have stayed with them since, now it’s serviced by the village garage where the mechanics all own Discoveries 1,2 and a Disco Sport as well as servicing and repairing all the farm Landies in the area. They possibly have more “hands on” expeencecof the oily bits than the “technicians” in the dealership service bay who generally only take the oil sucker to the car after plugging it into the diagnostic computer. At least the Ingenium engine in the Defender has a proper old fashioned dip stick so I assume it has a sump plug somewhere too unless they suck the used oil out via the dipstick...... Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #842464 8th Jul 2020 12:01am
dannyson

Rightly or wrongly I just don't have faith in independents. Mainly because I have never used them I suppose in all my 66 years. I did it myself back in the day - and now it seems to complicated.

And also because of my experience with independent tyre fitters and the like. One managed to 'twist' the chassis on my brand new Mondeo following a puncture .... many moons ago - and just last year another nearby tyre fitter (following another 'slow' puncture) - left my D4 with a steering wheel 'wobble' at certain speeds

LR did a wheel balance for me yesterday (at the service - just as I was about to pick the car up - so again foc) and found it to be 50grams out - which they said was enough to cause a problem.

So, I know I'm probably spending twice as much as I could if I used an independent garage .... but with no long term goodwill gestures in the event of major failures and one or two 'freebies'?.....
Post #842467 8th Jul 2020 12:47am
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
I simplify matters by not really trusting garages either independent or main Laughing

Last time my 110 went in to a garage was 10 years ago for a routine service. Garage ended up having to fit a brand new turbo a week later because they'd dropped a washer into the turbo...

Friend at work's girlfriend had a Ford Ka which went into Ford for an MOT a week after a service. MOT chap phoned him at work and showed him a live video of an issue (pins to hold in the brake pads were either missing or about to fall out). He asked who had serviced it last and how long ago because he felt obliged to report them. My mate replied, well that'd be you then, a week ago and the car has done 3 miles since then, drive it home from the service and back for the MOT...

Luckily I'm youngish and have space so while I can will always do servicing and repair work on my vehicles, even did it on the L322. In the rare occasion it does go to a garage I'm usually watching or will check it over once it's back. Technical authority at my previous job once said to me "never trust anything anyone does unless you've verified it yourself" (obviously caveats applied) but it's served me in good stead. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #842482 8th Jul 2020 8:12am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Tim in Scotland wrote:
Oil dilution and snapping cranks were design failures, they were not caused by the owners.

By the number of vehicles, this place alone seems to be getting, the problem is still very much in the here and now:

https://www.facebook.com/qponlineltd/
Post #842497 8th Jul 2020 9:24am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123