↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > talk me out of these bad thoughts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
talk me out of these bad thoughts
I bought my 110 a few years ago as something to keep forever and use for adventure travel. We have been all over Europe and to Morocco twice on the most fabulous trips. Its been a life changer for us and have some great memories.

However, I've just retaxed it this morning after having SORNed it during lockdown, for the princely sum of £609! That gauls when it does relatively so few miles. That's a lot of money and I started to question whether it is well spent. Then you think there is a solid £18k to £20k tied up in the car. Plus the car could really do with a clutch and a few other minor bits and pieces. All that combined with the need to spend some money on the house, which means our big trips will be on stop for the foreseeable has got wondering about getting rid...

I never thought I would ever even consider selling. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #840972 1st Jul 2020 11:58am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
VED and third party insurance should be added at the pumps. These last four years I have averaged about 2,500 miles a year.

This year, I filled up in March and it's still almost full.

Even if you buy a less 'polluting' vehicle they still get you if it more than £40k. £609 per annum is crazy. Its not even if the roads around here are silky smooth.
Post #840981 1st Jul 2020 12:22pm
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
No don’t do it!!

You will regret it, and there’s plenty of more trips and fun to be had.

It is a rip off and a princely sum for sure and I think totally unjust but don't let it put a stop to your enjoyment.

Let’s organise a forum overland trip to keep the juices flowing Very Happy 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #840982 1st Jul 2020 12:30pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bluest

I believe, after the first year, all new petrol/diesels are only £150 now, regardless of how bad they ar emissions are 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #840983 1st Jul 2020 12:30pm
L90Andy

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 SW Zambezi Silver
I bought my end of line 16MY 110 Utility brand new (first car I've ever done that with) and never dreamed of selling it. However for the same sort of reasons I sold it after two years of ownership. The money tied up in it paid for the house to be done. I don't regret it or even miss it for a moment. I did however spend ~£2k on getting my '84 Ninety so I could still play LR's and have had way more fun with this than the characterless Puma. Just my thoughts as you asked!
Good luck either way. Instagram: l90andy

2006 Land Rover 90 TD5 CSW Silver Edition

My 1984 Ninety: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56071.html - SOLD!
My 2015 Defender: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39625.html - SOLD!
Post #840995 1st Jul 2020 1:25pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Re: talk me out of these bad thoughts
Bluest wrote:
I bought my 110 a few years ago as something to keep forever and use for adventure travel. We have been all over Europe and to Morocco twice on the most fabulous trips. Its been a life changer for us and have some great memories.

However, I've just retaxed it this morning after having SORNed it during lockdown, for the princely sum of £609! That gauls when it does relatively so few miles. That's a lot of money and I started to question whether it is well spent. Then you think there is a solid £18k to £20k tied up in the car. Plus the car could really do with a clutch and a few other minor bits and pieces. All that combined with the need to spend some money on the house, which means our big trips will be on stop for the foreseeable has got wondering about getting rid...

I never thought I would ever even consider selling.

So they have put the tax up Rolling Eyes Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #841008 1st Jul 2020 1:47pm
Tim in Scotland

Bluest wrote:
I believe, after the first year, all new petrol/diesels are only £150 now, regardless of how bad they ar emissions are

I think you mean after 5 years for vehicles costing more than £40,000? My Mini Countryman PHEV was £426 this year because of the £311 annual luxury car tax that still has another 3 more payments to make........ I was way to enthusiastic at option box ticking but had originally specced it to £39000 with options, then BMW had a price ruse and the CO2 emission were recalculated.......... but at least BMW paid that 5 x£311 back as an incentive not to cancel the order, on top of the then still paid (now stopped) £2500 government grant for buying a low emissions vehicle. I’m still in profit on the rebates as there’s no way I burned that much petrol or electricity in my 2 years/8000 miles ownership - and it will buy a fair few tanks full of diesel for my thirsty high emission new Defender Rolling with laughter Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #841009 1st Jul 2020 1:48pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
Having just completed 8000 miles since new, our 90" is certainly not a value for money vehicle, but, along with Small's Series One 80", life would not be quite the same without them.
Life , contentment and enjoyment can rarely be put into monetary terms, so enjoy whatever pleases you now, as tomorrow is just that, tomorrow.
Thumbs Up 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #841010 1st Jul 2020 1:50pm
Mike c

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
I think this is always an issue with something non essential that holds money so well like a Defender or other classic, or whatever. You can always look at it as a pile of money tied up. I do this sometimes too, I didn't have the same dilemma with my old Discovery as it simply wasnt worth that much.

Only you can decide if it's worth it really, and would you end up wanting another? I know I would....

Or as another member has done, sell yours and buy an older Land Rover which is another option, to prevent future Landy hunger pangs! Smile
Post #841023 1st Jul 2020 2:13pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
One of my favourite sayings....

'' Winning isn't cheap''
Post #841025 1st Jul 2020 2:18pm
Bluest

Re: talk me out of these bad thoughts
Procta wrote:
Bluest wrote:

I never thought I would ever even consider selling.

So they have put the tax up Rolling Eyes

Not sure. It’s £609 total for the year paying monthly direct debit 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS

Last edited by Bluest on 1st Jul 2020 3:28pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #841039 1st Jul 2020 3:17pm
Bluest

Mike c wrote:
I think this is always an issue with something non essential that holds money so well like a Defender or other classic, or whatever. You can always look at it as a pile of money tied up. I do this sometimes too, I didn't have the same dilemma with my old Discovery as it simply wasnt worth that much.

Only you can decide if it's worth it really, and would you end up wanting another? I know I would....

Or as another member has done, sell yours and buy an older Land Rover which is another option, to prevent future Landy hunger pangs! Smile

I think part of it is, I just don’t need it at the minute. It was always intended as a means to get us out travelling to see places we wouldn’t otherwise see. It has been superb for that, combined with the Landy camaraderie when on the road has made for some great memories. But, for a number reasons, we won’t be doing much travelling for the foreseeable. In an ideal world I’d just mothball it until we can get back out on the road again. I know I’ll regret it once it’s gone.

Maybe sit on it for a while. Might fancy trading it for a Grenadier in a year or two. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #841040 1st Jul 2020 3:27pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
GREENI wrote:
One of my favourite sayings....

'' Winning isn't cheap''

I like that. Thumbs Up
Post #841044 1st Jul 2020 3:53pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
markb110 wrote:
VED and third party insurance should be added at the pumps. These last four years I have averaged about 2,500 miles a year.

I'm glad they don't, I can do about that many miles in a month!

Keep it Thumbs Up

I had to put mine in storage for a while but I never got rid of it. Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #841052 1st Jul 2020 4:28pm
ken

United Kingdom 
Nah sell the money pit

To me lol
Post #841058 1st Jul 2020 4:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>