↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > “Thud” on gearchange.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Gasket

“Thud” on gearchange.
Hi everyone.

Two days into defender ownership and loving it.

Just one niggle and trying to gauge if this is normal or if it needs to be rectified (no worries if it does, it still has a small warranty).

When changing gear, there is quite a “thud” when releasing the clutch. It’s not a bang from a specific part of the car (like diff backlash) it more feels like I’ve let the clutch out too suddenly.

To avoid this happening I really have to feather the clutch/throttle as I release it. Noticed it quite distinctly when my partner was driving yesterday.

Happy to upload a video to YouTube if easier, but just not sure if this is common to all Defender of this age (2010 with 45k miles) or if there’s something I should look at. Have read through lots of old posts and have seen A-arm ball joints, diff pinion, prop UJ wear or even fretting to the output shaft named and shamed as an issue - or even clutch release bearing (it has covered very few miles in the last few years).

Very difficult thing to try and explain, but any thoughts would be very welcome. Thank you.
Post #838887 22nd Jun 2020 2:11pm
Angus_Beef

Norway 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Welcome to the joys of defender ownership. If I am understanding you coprrectly, that "clunk" is all the slop in the drivetrain being taken up too quickly. It takes finess to drive one sloothly. And that "thud" can be bad for the splines in your gearbox...
Post #838894 22nd Jun 2020 2:44pm
andydef90

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
try driving it gently however if its under warranty no reason to go to dealer and see what they say
Post #838917 22nd Jun 2020 4:05pm
Wild Card 90

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Welcome to D2net, and congrats on your new car!

What you describe sounds like what happens when the clutch pedal sensor plays up.

A minor issue that makes it remarkably difficult to drive smoothly and change gear without hearing a clonk or two. The revs will tend to "hang" more than normal, but as you´ve only just got into ownership, you won´t yet know what normal is.
The defender is a somewhat eccentric drive, but shouldn´t be clonking on changes.

The sensor (which simply tells the engine management that the clutch is pressed, and disengages a throttle control programme) is accessible at the rear right corner of the engine compartment. Often it suffers simply from an iffy or dry connector, and only needs unplugging and reconnecting to get it to respond (or you go down the dealership and point them in that direction).

If it is not the sensor, there a re one or two other (mechanical) possibilities, but lets start with the easy one.... 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
2" raised Trailmaster/Terrafirma
Heavy Track Raids, 255 MTs,
Recaro CSs, anorak, wellingtons
Post #838924 22nd Jun 2020 4:29pm
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
Drivetrain slack somewhere in the several dozen places the crankshaft from the engine to the driven wheels decides it doesn't want to be nice.

As has been said, it's worth having the dealer look at it if it's under warranty but you can't drive a Landy like a normal car, it does take a little slip of the clutch to get the clunk to disappear on normal use.
Post #839004 22nd Jun 2020 8:15pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I'd be checking for the Puma clutch rattle of death first, then for driveline slop.
Post #839016 22nd Jun 2020 9:11pm
Gasket

Thank you very much. I’ll start working through the list of suggestions: I’m not 100% convinced it isn’t normal noise yet - I can change gear without feeling it, it just takes a lot more patience. Will keep you informed.
Post #839439 24th Jun 2020 5:50pm
TheShrink

United Kingdom 
My advice would be to listen to Blackwolf - his knowledge of Defenders is encyclopaedic.
Post #839516 24th Jun 2020 10:19pm
NinetyTD4

Wales 2012 Defender 90 Other SW Keswick Green
With only a couple of days into acute DEFEND-20 from infectious Defenderitis I advice to drive to somebody transformed into chronic Defendor stage 3 (III: breathes at least rust) and let this guy have a hear whether the 'thud' is the ordinary 'clunk' and will go away or is another thing broken. Never forget: cars have owner, Landrover have field service personnel.
Post #839558 25th Jun 2020 8:11am
lonewolf

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Zambezi Silver
I experienced something similar when I first got mine, you can’t do swift changes like you can in some cars. (Some might say otherwise, who knows?) I found taking it slowly and not rushing the change helped immensely. There are quite a few joints that make up the drivetrain after all.
I’d recommend changing gear in what I’d call a sympathetic way for starters......costs nothing after all.

Last edited by lonewolf on 7th Jul 2020 9:48am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #842130 6th Jul 2020 4:52pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I've always found that changing gear in a Defender is a two stage process - one movement out of gear, then a definite 2nd movement to put it into the next. Very unlike a 'normal' car where you just shift from one gear to the next as quickly as you like.

Are there any other Manchester residents on here who could help out the OP by taking a drive (socially distanced of course!).
Post #842247 7th Jul 2020 7:50am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I would have thought that Manchester was packed with people who would be delighted to take his Defender for a drive and would be quite happy if he stayed home for safety, some would even be flexible enough to do it at night! Shocked

No offence intended to the honest people of Manchester.
Post #842260 7th Jul 2020 8:44am
lonewolf

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Zambezi Silver
/\/\/\/\ Rolling with laughter
Post #842277 7th Jul 2020 9:47am
Gasket

Ha ha - thanks guys.

I hit the works in the end. Had the clutch swapped for a Clutchfix unit, the output shaft replaced with the ashcroft kit and replaced the 2-piece halfshafts with 1-piece britpart shafts.

It was the latter that was causing the think, which has now completely gone away. The hubs and shafts could rotate about 5-minutes due to fretting on the splines. Doesn’t sound like much but the effect was dramatic.

If anyone comes across this thread with a similar issue, my suggestion would be to swap the half shafts first - it’s a quick, relatively inexpensive upgrade and eliminates a key wear point.

Thank you all for your help.
Post #859644 3rd Oct 2020 10:29pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Family member, Puma 2.4, has a similar 'thud', or 'clonk' not sure what is best to describe.
Had changed to Britpart one piece half shafts, but the 'thud / clonk' did not really go away. A frame ball joint does not show wear. I have already an Ashcroft adaptor shaft in hand, but waiting for clutch kit to arrive to replace in one go. I can hear a faint rattle on idle, and clutch pedal released (gbox in neutral), which goes away when the clutch pedal is depressed. I hope the adaptor shaft and clutch solves his problem because I made him spend a few bucks Whistle 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #859657 4th Oct 2020 7:00am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>