↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres (L663) > All Terrain Tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

All Terrain Tyres
I’ve asked my supplying dealer but they haven’t replied and now have asked LR “Customer Experience” centre and await their answer but on the off-chance that some here can answer sooner does any one know what make of All Terrain or Mud Terrain tyre is OEM in the Off-road pack or recommended for L663 New Defender? It seems that wheel size isn’t a problem except for 22” where AT’s aren’t on the options list, but every wheel size from 18” to 20” seems to be able to carry an AT tyre as you can spec the OffRoad pack on all models except the DefenderX (unless you downsize the wheel to 20” and have a 2nd set of wheels/tyres) Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #838856 22nd Jun 2020 10:46am
PaulMark

South Africa 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Alpine White
Goodyear Wrangler Duratec.
Post #838859 22nd Jun 2020 11:10am
Tim in Scotland

Thanks Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #838864 22nd Jun 2020 12:10pm
zilch

Australia 
Standard off road tyres in Australia for the L663 Tim are Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure, I was informed
that the Duratracs were an after market option, not dealer. Not sure if you have more choice in the UK. yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #838868 22nd Jun 2020 12:37pm
Tim in Scotland

AT Adventure are also available here from aftermarket tyre shops. The problem with the Wrangler Duratecs is I’ve only been able to locate Q rated tyres and L663 needs H rated but nobody seems to carry them - Q is fine for the “Classic” Defender but only good up to 99mph, L663 D240 is capable of 117 downhill with a gale of wind behind it! I know that Q should be fine with a national speed limit of 70mph but I suspect that my insurers might not be happy having them on a 117mph capable car regardless of the national speed limit and I doubt that I will be doing much autobahn driving.
I have asked LR directly to advise which AT is recommended and if they say Adventure is OK I’ll go for that as they are cheaper than the Duratecs at my loveable Goodyear supplier! The OEM standard tyres on my First Edition are Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Seasons which will be fine for 80% of my driving but I suspect that if I show them a very muddy/ snowy track I might run out of traction despite all the clever aids, its the tyre grip that matters rather than the clever electronics. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #838875 22nd Jun 2020 1:13pm
zilch

Australia 
The AT adventures are being factory fitted to my P400 Tim, so will easily accomodate speed rating
for the D240, your dealer should have this info to hand yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #838877 22nd Jun 2020 1:29pm
PaulMark

South Africa 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Alpine White
zilch wrote:
Standard off road tyres in Australia for the L663 Tim are Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure, I was informed
that the Duratracs were an after market option, not dealer. Not sure if you have more choice in the UK.

The Duratracs were fitted to the vehicles doing the Van Zyls pass test but I think you are right and the Adventure will be fitted as the standard "offroad" tyre in South Africa too Sad
Post #838897 22nd Jun 2020 3:05pm
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green

Click image to enlarge

This was the vehicle from the launch adverts. It is on Duratecs but they are only Q rated. 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #838944 22nd Jun 2020 6:16pm
Tim in Scotland

I discussed this with Tyrefitter over on RRSport and he says in the UK Q is perfectly acceptable as the national speed limit is 70mph and q rating goes to 99mph............ also that GoodYear Adventurer is an LR OEM tyre for New Defender here in the UK, he reckons Duratec was used for the Namibia Videos as it was more suitable for the terrain and what they were doing out there. I will report back with what LR Customer Experience people come back with as the dealer has taken my money and doesn’t want to answer the question! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #839009 22nd Jun 2020 8:44pm
groaner

Australia 
In Australia you can fit lower speed rated tyres legally.

I think in some states you have to stick a prominent sticker on the windscreen saying lower speed rated tyres are fitted for any potential drivers....

Note also that Duratracs come in LT and non-LT construction, with the latter having a higher speed rating. They are a good tyre, just get a bit noisy when older.

cheers
Lucas
Post #839048 23rd Jun 2020 2:43am
zilch

Australia 
likely to look at Duratracs for my circuit of OZ, however Goodyear have suggested i may have to wait
for 19" later this year when they release them in that size (assuming i cannot get a set of aftermarket
18" wheels for the P400). Wonder if i went with the 255/65/R19 Q rating i could fall foul of some State
laws yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #839049 23rd Jun 2020 4:10am
zilch

Australia 
Tim in Scotland wrote:
I discussed this with Tyrefitter over on RRSport and he says in the UK Q is perfectly acceptable as the national speed limit is 70mph and q rating goes to 99mph............ also that GoodYear Adventurer is an LR OEM tyre for New Defender here in the UK, he reckons Duratec was used for the Namibia Videos as it was more suitable for the terrain and what they were doing out there. I will report back with what LR Customer Experience people come back with as the dealer has taken my money and doesn’t want to answer the question!

Any luck on the off road wheels and tyres front Tim.. yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #839780 26th Jun 2020 7:58am
Tim in Scotland

LRCS replied to my email yesterday ............... not in the least bit helpful “You should ask your retailer” and this was the answer to several points I raised. They obviously mis-read my email because I did say in it that the retailer was not responding to my emails for information.

I also asked about the leak issue - basically that the issue should be directed to the director in charge of production and QC (it’s the same person) and the response was to make a warranty claim at the retailer. I KNOW to make a warranty claim what I wanted was for people at the top to get the message that there is a problem that needs solving before other owners (and now I know of 3 others with exactly the same problem on the same window and on First Edition and S models so there must be more with the problem).

On the tyres front I am no further forward.

I now also have an issue with the tracks that the roof rails bolt into - in the sun of the last two days ( the air temperature got up to 27C here so the black roof was probably even hotter) the plastic track and the seals have warped but only on the driver’s side! I’ll post a photo once the very vigorous lightening storm we are having here has passed and it’s safe to stand on my ladders! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 26th Jun 2020 9:35am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #839782 26th Jun 2020 8:21am
J77

Scotland 
Tim I’ve asked my salesman for you, he’s usually pretty good. He’s sold me all my LRs so I have high hopes to get you an answer on the tyres at least.
Post #839794 26th Jun 2020 9:10am
Tim in Scotland

Cheers J Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #839801 26th Jun 2020 9:36am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>