↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres (L663) > All Terrain Tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
zilch

Australia 
Tim in Scotland wrote:
LRCS replied to my email yesterday ...............
I also asked about the leak issue - basically that the issue should be directed to the director in charge of production and QC (it’s the same person) and the response was to make a warranty claim at the retailer.

I will ask the question on a Facebook group Tim, quite a few LR managers monitoring the group, maybe they
will pull their finger out

Quote:
]On the tyres front I am no further forward

The Goodyear AT adventures are standard

Quote:
now also have an issue with the tracks that the roof rails bolt into - in the sun of the last two days ( the air temperature got up to 27C here so the black roof was probably even hotter) the plastic track and the seals have warped but only on the driver’s side! I’ll post a photo once the very vigorous lightening storm we are having here has passed and it’s safe to stand on my ladders!

That is poor, especially for a vehicle that should be able to operate in the US, Australia , Asia and Africa.. I’ll flag that on the group as well yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #839809 26th Jun 2020 8:49am
BearCZ

Czech Republic 
We have these options of tires:

1. Pirelli all season
2. Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure
3. Duractracs on demand - extra money:D

i ordered my 110 with Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure tires, because they have higher load then Pirelli (you can have more dynamic load on roof, static too), they should be decent on road a still can handle some off road. Duratracs are for me true off road tires, which i dont need, at least first two years Wink
Post #839881 26th Jun 2020 2:57pm
J77

Scotland 
J77 wrote:
Tim I’ve asked my salesman for you, he’s usually pretty good. He’s sold me all my LRs so I have high hopes to get you an answer on the tyres at least.

Goodyear Warngler Duratrac is the approved tyre.

Also came across this but it’s from the US sales staff product info guide.

Click image to enlarge
Post #840348 28th Jun 2020 9:35pm
zilch

Australia 
it seems the order is dependent on which market your in J. in Australia for example

1. Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure as standard (sales catalogue have these as "Off Road" tyres but does not specify,
my detailed order sheet states "Robust Tyres 255/65/R19" and another entry "Goodyear"
2. All Seasons are a no cost option
3. Dealers state on the Duratracs,these be an after market option, according to mine anyhow

Click image to enlarge

It seems the Wrangler AT Adventures are available in the majority of the markets. yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #840362 29th Jun 2020 12:15am
Tim in Scotland

I suppose it depends on what you want to use the vehicle for. In my case the car will be 80% or more on road and 20% offroad so a less aggressive, maybe a little compromised tyre will suffice. I still have my Classic Defender 90 on BFG MT’s for places where I know terrain requires the more aggressive tyre. I don’t intend to start using the L663 Defender for heavy OffRoad stuff for at least another 2-3 years. The new one is so much wider and longer than the old one that it will take a fair bit of familiarising after the petite old 90 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #840384 29th Jun 2020 7:28am
zilch

Australia 
Tim, i permanently run General Grabber AT's on my RRS .. my personal experience is that AT's are a reasonable
all rounder, both on and off road yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #840388 29th Jun 2020 7:45am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Tim in Scotland wrote:

I also asked about the leak issue - basically that the issue should be directed to the director in charge of production and QC (it’s the same person) and the response was to make a warranty claim at the retailer. I KNOW to make a warranty claim what I wanted was for people at the top to get the message that there is a problem that needs solving before other owners (and now I know of 3 others with exactly the same problem on the same window and on First Edition and S models so there must be more with the problem).

Do you know their name?

I'll try and dig out the post on here, but I actually got a few names and email addresses of senior bods, emailed one and got a polite reply.
Supacat wrote:

You're well within warranty so listen for any sign of knocking and get your local main dealer to confirm your diagnosis and have it fixed under warranty. Thumbs Up

if mine was out of warranty and I had this issue then I might be looking at the list of names here and firing them off a personal email.

Email addresses seem to be initial of first name & surname @jaguarlandrover.com.

Go to this website:

http://newsroom.jaguarlandrover.com/en-in/...nts=False#

Top of my list would be:

Nick Rogers - Director Group Engineering, Jaguar Land Rover
http://newsroom.jaguarlandrover.com/en-in/...og_270315/
nrogers@jaguarlandrover.com

Grant McPherson - Director of Quality and Automotive Safety, Jaguar Land Rover
http://newsroom.jaguarlandrover.com/en-in/...hy_021013/
gmcpherson@jaguarlandrover.com

I used the email logic to contact the someone else senior within JLR a couple of days ago and got a reply from them within the day Thumbs Up

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post423699...ail#423699
Post #840497 29th Jun 2020 4:47pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
I wouldn't necessarily restrict yourself to the tyres that JLR fit as standard. Manufacturer tyre selections are not necessarily based on the 'best' product, but other factors such as cost, availability, manufacturer agreements, treadwear etc. Also they have to allow for all possible usage cases, which for a product like the new Defender covers a very wide remit. Your individual use will likely be more specific.

I have just ordered a full set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S, which after extensive research seem to get very good reviews from those who have fitted them, and would seem a pretty good option for the new Defender (subject to availability of specific sizes). They are marketed as a all season tyre and have the mountain snowflake winter rating, which was a key point for me.

Obviously I don't have them yet and have no first-hand experience (yet!), but just thought it would be another possible option. 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #840502 29th Jun 2020 5:01pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
This is a question with my dealer at the moment and part of the negotiations. I want the car swapping to AT's they are coming back to me with what they can offer. I will also be buying 5 winters for it as well, I usually go for Wintrac Extremes need to check the 5 new ones i have for the D5 hopefully they might fit it. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #840512 29th Jun 2020 5:47pm
Telemarkskier

United Kingdom 
What size wheels have you gone for?
I am trying to negotiate X5 winter tyres as a swap for the off road tyres for an October build. No promises yet but sales director didn't rule it out and thought he would be able help. Mine is arriving with 20" wheels, unfortunately Vredestein don't make a Wintrac Extreme for that size. I found them to have much better directional grip in comparison to Pirelli Scorpion Winter that I have had recently on my Freelander2.
Its my intention to run the winter tyres all year to avoid 2 sets of wheel or the £46.00 Kwik-Fit bill for swapping over one set for another with potential damage to the alloys during handling at the tyre centre.
Post #845467 23rd Jul 2020 11:59am
Kevantlin

United Kingdom 
Any advice on how wide you can go ? The Ko2 is available in a 275 but std factory fit is 255
Post #848720 8th Aug 2020 9:12pm
Tim in Scotland

I’ve gone with the Duratracs in 255/60 R20 with the Q rating. So far with 100 miles on them they are a little noisier than the Pirelli Scorpion All Season but it’s not intrusive noisy and the fuel consumption hasn’t suffered either. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #848728 8th Aug 2020 9:50pm
Kevantlin

United Kingdom 
Thanks Tim, no problems with the insurance company with a Q rated tyre ? My understanding was you couldn’t spec a lower speed rating than the manufacturer ?
Post #848754 9th Aug 2020 6:58am
Tim in Scotland

None, they are good to well over the legal speed limit in the U.K. too - up to 99mph IIRC. I was advised to fit what JLR supplies as the optional offroad tyre and not to fit another maker by my insurer, hence going for the Duratrac. If you can find them, the same tyre is supposedly available here with an H rating too but it was very hard to find any. I doubt very much I’ll be taking the car to over 90mph anyway Laughing not too many race tracks around here and there are loads of mobile “safety” cameras. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #848755 9th Aug 2020 7:01am
J77

Scotland 
A fair bit of rubber on this one

Click image to enlarge
Post #849654 12th Aug 2020 9:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>