↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Lane Keep Assist
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Do they make you switch off these "Intelligent driving aids" when taking a driving test or has being in control of the vehicle gone out of the window now?. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #839095 23rd Jun 2020 9:42am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
IIHS study: Driver-assist tech can invite ‘automation comp
Interesting research suggesting that driver assist functions have the opposite effect on people in terms of making them safer drivers:

"Human motorists can be lulled into a false sense of security by new technology that's meant to assist — but never replace — them behind the wheel.

This "automation complacency" has been cited as a contributing factor to several fatal crashes involving advanced driver-assist systems, and now the findings from a study conducted by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety further spotlight the pitfalls associated with the influx of these new technologies.

Researchers with IIHS and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's AgeLab found that as drivers grew more comfortable with adaptive cruise control and lane-keeping features, they were more likely to show signs of inattention to the driving task. Sometimes significantly so.

After a month of driving a Volvo S90 sedan equipped with both adaptive cruise control and lane-keeping, part of the automaker's Pilot Assist package, motorists were 12 times more likely to remove both hands from the wheel at the end of the month than they were at the beginning, the researchers found.

Another group of drivers drove Land Rover Range Rover Evoques equipped only with adaptive cruise control.

They grew more likely to pick up their cellphones as they became more comfortable throughout the month, but notably they did not increase the frequency of texting or other phone-related distractions.

The subtle differences in results are a reminder that not all driver-assist features are the same, and more so, underscore the role driver-monitoring systems can play in ensuring motorists don't let their attention wander from the road.

"This supports our call for more robust ways of ensuring the driver is looking at the road and ready to take the wheel when using Level 2 systems," said IIHS senior research scientist Ian Reagan, lead author of the study.

IIHS is not the only organization calling for such oversight. The National Transportation Safety Board has spotlighted the role automation complacency has played in multiple deadly crashes involving Tesla's Autopilot driver-assist system and recommended automakers develop safeguards that ensure motorists keep their eyes on the road.

Last month, the European New Car Assessment Program began to incorporate driver-monitoring effectiveness into its overall vehicle ratings program. But U.S. regulators and vehicle-testing organizations have not yet followed suit.

Findings from the IIHS study could strengthen the case for doing so. Further, they should remind motorists that driver-assist systems do not equal autonomous ones. At least for now, human drivers are squarely responsible for driving."

https://fixedopstoday.com/iihs-study-drive...tractions/
Post #868494 20th Nov 2020 7:17am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
This is known in scientific and behavioural circles as the Peltzman effect, and is a well established phenomenon.

The safer you make someone's environment, the greater their risk appetite becomes. The more assistance you provide to a driver, the less competent he/she becomes.

Just one of the reasons we are all doomed! Very Happy
Post #868502 20th Nov 2020 8:11am
Oldmowgli

Australia 
OK guy's I am fascinated in finding out if over the last few months anyone managed to properly disable this "safety"feature ? or is it still waiting for a boffin to reconfigure the 1's and 0's ?
Post #868505 20th Nov 2020 8:27am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
So which are the defective systems, the ones that throw you at the oncoming tractor, or the ones that don't?
Post #868509 20th Nov 2020 8:39am
Sepp

Germany 
Oldmowgli wrote:
OK guy's I am fascinated in finding out if over the last few months anyone managed to properly disable this "safety"feature ? or is it still waiting for a boffin to reconfigure the 1's and 0's ?

Well, when I got the car, after about 30 minutes the lane keep assist annoyed me that much I switched it off using the button on the steering wheel controls. Since then, it's just disabled ever after and I did't even care about it.
Post #868558 20th Nov 2020 11:50am
spudfan

Ireland 
I have been unable to disable the lane assist and I wish I could as I find it very annoying. It has been annoying me since we bought our first car in 1990 which was a Land Rover 90 turbo diesel. In 2020 it still annoys me in the Puma. You would think that in 30 years of use I'd have grown accustomed to it but the wife will just not take the hint..... 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #868672 20th Nov 2020 7:20pm
Oldmowgli

Australia 
[Spudfan wrote:
I have been unable to disable the lane assist and I wish I could as I find it very annoying. It has been annoying me since we bought our first car in 1990 which was a Land Rover 90 turbo diesel. In 2020 it still annoys me in the Puma. You would think that in 30 years of use I'd have grown accustomed to it but the wife will just not take the hint.....]

......that's very odd, my wife claims to have the same problem when driving our car....and it started started around the same time as your's did. But it never happens when I'm driving myself.

If only there was a user manual available... Whistle

Oldmowgli.

Oh and thanks Sepp...I will search for the magic button sequence to align the 1's and 0's.

Thumbs Up [/quote]
Post #868726 21st Nov 2020 8:11am
Gareth

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
Is lane keep assist the same as ‘Cruise Assist’ on the Discovery 5?

I drove a D5 last year that had cruise assist, and it basically self steers itself and keeps in its lane for up to 20 seconds. If you take your hands off the wheel for more than 20 seconds it beeps at you. I found it pretty good. It’s not designed to steer for you, just assisted in keeping between the lines. 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
2014 Jaaaag F Type 3.0 Supercharged.
Post #868733 21st Nov 2020 8:42am
Tim in Scotland

Sepp wrote:
Oldmowgli wrote:

Well, when I got the car, after about 30 minutes the lane keep assist annoyed me that much I switched it off using the button on the steering wheel controls. Since then, it's just disabled ever after and I did't even care about it.

I’ve done that and toggled the switch in the settings menu of the infotainment screen and now I hardly ever get any unwanted steering effects.
andrewS - the country roads around my area are the same as yours, no white lines marking the road edge but there is a dotted white line down the centre. The interference from Lane Keep Assist seems much less in my car since the last but one software update so I wonder if LR has done something for the early production vehicles like mine. I still drive with the steering wheel icon illuminated white and the infotainment screen setting set to off and they both stay off even after the car has been stopped and locked up which wasn’t the case when I first got the car, I had to redo the off setting every time I drove off. The system does still work in the background but for sure it is nowhere near as intrusive as it used to be. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #868737 21st Nov 2020 9:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123