↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > CTEK 5 or CTEK 7?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
andydef90

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
this is interesting iv had problems with my defender because I use it a lot for short journey a mile to be exact I have the battery not getting charged up by the time I'm there . plus the fact two alarms and a tracker . so I bought a basic Aldi charger while I deliberate witch charger to get noco or ctek while reading I have looked on eBay iv seen the ctek for about 60 pounds I like the idea of having a adapter to plug the charger in saves have the charger in the car as always def2 has the answers thanks guys Smile
Post #837446 16th Jun 2020 7:31am
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
I got mine from (or will do when it arrives) from Halfords with a trade card. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #837455 16th Jun 2020 8:29am
NinetyTD4

Wales 2012 Defender 90 Other SW Keswick Green
I just bought a second 5, because it is sufficient. Sorry, I am a old farm boy and keen on spending money only were it makes sense. We don't want to fully charge the battery of our multi-purpose vehicles, aren't we? Just asking 'cause the bullsh*t with e-crap gets onto my nerves. Temperature sensors, Peukert corrections and all that stuff is not important for the initial phase, imho.

Sorry again, I am from the Dinosaur age when we still used calculus and physics knowledge, not Google. Virtually almost we want to crank the engine with the electricity to let it start, only. Looking at the wires and taking into account we need some current for electronic gimmicks at the modern engines I assume 10 seconds on 200 amperes will do the job. After startup the rest is done by the generator anyways. 10 seconds 200 amps is the same as 400 seconds the 5 amps from the CTEK 5. Let me say we did a miscalculation and the battery only holds half the electricity we offer, coming to 800 seconds or 13 and a third minutes. Frankly, does it really matter whether it takes 7 minutes with a 10 amps or 14 minutes on 5 amps? I don't care. Which leaves trickle charging, but for that you don't need the higher current anyways and at the farm we do that by solar panel or wind generator, not by power outlet.

So, long story, short result - almost any time the smallest 5 will do. Never forget: cars have owner, Landrover have field service personnel.
Post #837464 16th Jun 2020 9:41am
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Smile

I guess, as always it depends on your needs.
I have a CTEK 10 permanently installed in our camper-converted Defender.
There are two batteries, to power a fridge, heater, radio, lights for 2-3 days - and then still being able to start the engine.
Sometimes we plug it in at campsites, in particular when its cold. It is also plugged in off-season / winter, when it sadly sits in the barn for weeks. The "e-crap" Smile of temperature compensation, battery-health checking and trickle charging gives me the peace of mind that I can leave it alone without finding the barn burnt down when I return. And that the batteries will last longer.

I agree, that many many e-gimmicks out there are just a waste of everyone's resources (nerves included).
However, it is possible to build easy-to use and lasting electronics. I mean, just look at the Voyager probes Smile They were launched when Series III was the current model. And they're still working and sending data to earth! Cool
Post #837535 16th Jun 2020 3:51pm
kmac

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Using my MXS 5.0 to charge the AUX battery in a dual battery system - then read in this thread that it could destroy the charger.

What are people using for dual battery systems? Truck doesn't get much use due to lockdown etc.
Post #837700 17th Jun 2020 6:22am
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
CTEK 10 has landed. Smile
Hooked it up to an older Defender battery I had in the shed and hit recond mode and left going for a few hours.
Decided not to leave it on over night, so its back on today. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #837981 18th Jun 2020 8:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123