↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 200tdi > Td5 conversion - am I missing anything?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Woody3

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Bronze Green
200tdi > Td5 conversion - am I missing anything?
Couldn't make my mind up which section to post this under...

With my Ninety now stripped down (blog in "My Defender" section, if anyone wants to take a look), after a recent bout in hospital, I've decided I'm going to replace my 200tdi engine with a Td5.

I've been doing as much research as possible, but there are a few areas that I'm not all that sure about;

My current shopping list is as follows:
1 - 15p onwards engine including all the parts bolted to it i.e. turbo, alternator, starter motor,power steering pump, water pump, manifolds, maf sensor housing. Anything missing?
2 - Gearbox (R380)
3 - ECU
4 - Radiator including brackets
5 - Intercooler
6 - Td5 fuel tank including inbuilt fuel pump and fuel lines
7 - Td5 throttle pedal assembly
8 - Td5 Airbox (added)
9 - Clutch pipework (added)
10 - Power steering pipework (added)

Items I'm not too sure about:
a - Td5 wiring loom - which bits do I need, as I assume I don't require it all? i.e. do I need the dashboard loom? Can I keep with my existing analogue dials? TBC
b - Air filter housing - can I use my existing "Wolf" airbox or do I need standard Td5 setup? Airbox added above
c - ABS/TC obviously my Defender doesn't have either of these, does this cause an issue with the ECU? Not an issue

Is there anything obvious that I've missed?

Got a couple of leads so far, but don't want to buy stuff that isn't required, but on the same note, I don't want to miss anything that is a must!

Thank you!

Last edited by Woody3 on 23rd May 2020 12:39pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #832738 23rd May 2020 12:28am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Havng built 3x Td5's now, I'd suggest just getting all the wiring looms. It'll be so much easier.

The dash loom is different anyway as the Td5 uses the small LED warning panel. Plus the wing looms are un-plugable, makes removing/fitting wings much easier too.

Get all the fuel pipes as well.

I think I've got the dimensions here somewhere for the rear tank support frame (off of a 90.. last one I built was a 90). easy to make.

ABS won't matter
Post #832761 23rd May 2020 7:25am
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
You will also need a seatbox from an R380 equipped vehicle (or modify yours) and the plastic transmission tunnel and bulkhead 'diaphragm' piece, front and rear props, exhaust, weld-on engine mounts and some arrangement for the gearbox/transfer box mounting. I think you can use a 300tdi gearbox crossmember or mounts from a discovery 300 (cant remember what i used on the R380 in my 90 VCool.

You will need a TD5 fuel filter assembly too if you are using the TD5 pump and lines.

You will probably need to buy/make a clutch pipe although you can do without the clutch switch from a TD5 master cylinder.

Power Steering pipes will also need to be different.

It would probably be easiest to source a TD5 airbox and pipework although you wont have the intake in the RH wing so either leave the intake under the bonnet, swap the wing or fit a RAI.

Cheers
Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #832765 23rd May 2020 7:31am
diesel_jim

^^^ Yes discovery 1 300Tdi manual gearbox crossmember fits straight up and the Td5 R380 onto that, that's what I did on my last 90 Td5 build. Also makes it easier to loate the engine mounts if you drop the drivetrain in first and tack weld them into place.

It sounds like a mammoth amount of parts, but the last one I did I got pretty much all of it from ebay and on here.
Post #832847 23rd May 2020 11:42am
Woody3

Thanks for the replies chaps!

I'll try and summarise below (I'm afraid there's going to be more questions Embarassed )...

1) Wiring Loom
I was quoted an eye watering £600 for just the dash wiring loom! Shocked This is the reason I was hoping to keep with as much as the existing wiring loom as possible and only have parts of the td5 loom to make the engine work as such. I'm going to have to have a rethink on this part, especially if I can't use the existing clocks...

2) Fuel System
Rallysteve, is there another way of doing the fuel lines and pump without having to use the td5 setup? If not, I will add the fuel pipes and filter housing to my list in the original post.

diesel_jim, please let me know if you find the details of the rear tank support frame, that would be a great help thank you!
Regarding the existing tank under the drivers seat, I was going to keep this and do what Martin did and put a pump in to transfer the diesel from existing to td5 tank through a switch. Without having to replace the rear tub, is there a way of just having the td5 tank?

3) ABS not an issue - I'll cross that out in the OP

4) Clutch pipe (switch not required) - I'll add this to my list

5) Gearbox - I think Martin located the gearbox on the same mountings as the LT77, which meant the existing props etc could still be used. It also meant that the engine is sat 2inches further back. Is this still a viable?

6) Seatbox
My existing seat box is on my bench waiting to be repaired (both side panels and battery box need replacing). If I find a way of not needing the existing fuel tank, I will replace the seat box with a R380 one. If the existing fuel tank is still needed, will it be better to repair and adapt mine to suit or remove the drivers seat compartment from a R380 seatbox?

7) Power steering pipes - I will add that to my list.

8.) Airbox - I'll add this to my list. I actually need a new wing for the drivers side, so I'll find one with an intake.

I think that has covered all points. Sorry for all the questions! I just want to make sure I get it right! Embarassed

Thanks again!
Post #832857 23rd May 2020 12:35pm
diesel_jim

Chassis loom https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184228568660

In fact if you look at his other items (ignoring the chassis vins he has) he's got a fair bit bit of useful Td5 stuff there...fuel pipes, air.box etc
Post #832860 23rd May 2020 12:52pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
Woody
I have a TD5 airbox mounting bracket, R380 tunnel, seatbox flange to modify your own and a fibreglass bulkhead diaphragm to suit.
Happy to sell if you need them.
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #832868 23rd May 2020 1:26pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Whats your plan for the old engine may I enquire? Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #832896 23rd May 2020 3:36pm
Woody3

diesel_jim wrote:

In fact if you look at his other items (ignoring the chassis vins he has) he's got a fair bit bit of useful Td5 stuff there...fuel pipes, air.box etc

Thank you - quite a lot cheaper than the initial quotes I was getting!

Would I need to change things like wiper stalks if I was to go with a td5 loom, or is it just a case of adapting the wiring loom to suit my existing switches?

Mo Murphy wrote:
Woody
I have a TD5 airbox mounting bracket, R380 tunnel, seatbox flange to modify your own and a fibreglass bulkhead diaphragm to suit.
Happy to sell if you need them.
Mo

Thank you Mo, that would be brilliant - I'll pm you once things start to progress properly

Shaggydog - I'll probably end up selling the 200tdi, it isn't a Defender lump though. It's actually a recon'd RRC 200tdi, with the turbo lower down.
Post #833052 24th May 2020 12:51pm
diesel_jim

200Tdi stalks will have the moulded bullet connectors, whereas Td5 and 300Tdi use the white hard plastic type, so you'd need to change those, but if you've got the old Tdi loom you could just chop the plugs off and solder them to the Td5 loom.

I've also bought stuff from CWS before, seemed pretty good: http://www.cws4x4.co.uk/land-rover-defender-parts

I've also bought a LOT of stuff from this chap: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/springwateruk/m...amp;_from=

He had a deal with LR somehow and had boxes of new stuff at his place. all handy bits (for Td5's and puma's).
Post #833059 24th May 2020 1:13pm
Hazza

United Kingdom 1990 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bronze Green
This is a great thread - I'm doing this exact same swap on my 110 at the moment.

I've bought a disco2 as a donor and am hoping to create a loom from that - should I fail then there are simple td5 looms on eBay for about £180.

Your list looks very similar to my own. My plan is simplify the fuel supply using an inline pump and new hoses. Removing the rather unreliable td5 intank pump and fuel filter housing in the process.

You'll need a fan shroud to keep the efficiency of the cooling system.

Also worth noting that the gearbox can be mounted in the original lt77 position, you can then retain the propshafts, seatbox, tunnel, and floor as it is now. The engine will sit further back than factory but does fit - this is how the forum owner Martin converted his. 1990 Defender 110 200TDI Camper - now converted to Td5 power
Post #833067 24th May 2020 1:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
diesel_jim

You should be able to peel away the unwanted cabling from the disco loom easily.

I did the same with a friends TD5 tomcat. I think it may have been a defender loom we used, can't remember now, but the tomcat had its own lighting loom and other bits, so I just removed more or less everything from the Td5 loom apart from starter/ECU/fuel pump/engine. It was done in conjuntion with Allisport so Andy there had tweeked the ECU to get rid of the 10AS unit as well.
Post #833070 24th May 2020 2:09pm
Woody3

Thanks diesel_jim - seems pretty straight forward. I was planning on replacing my fusebox for the blade type anyway, so seems sensible to switch the whole lot over to a td5 loom. Thank you for recommending those two sellers. I've added them both into my favourites.

Hazza - what stage are you at now? I'm intrigued with how you are doing the fuel system... Are you keeping with the earlier/original tank?

Just waiting to hear back from a potential lead on a relatively low mileage td5 engine and gearbox...
Post #833394 26th May 2020 1:09am
Hazza

United Kingdom 1990 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bronze Green
I'm currently stripping the discovery for the parts I need and selling those I don't to build funds back up.

For fuelling - the td5 needs a supply of approx 4bar and returns a lower pressure to the tank after being cooled. Standard td5 has a low and high pressure pump in the tank with the fuel doing a lap or 2 of the filter housing, first at low pressure and then at high pressure before being sent to the engine. (This is a very basic summary!)

I plan to use the original tank pickup and return. Pickup will travel through a pre-filter to a Bosch 044 inline pump before a proper fuel filter and then to the engine. Return will go back to the return on the tank. I plan to make the hoses I need from EFI pipe. I've been looking at this site a lot for parts etc. https://www.fuelpumpsonline.co.uk/

It's possible I'll need a low pressure high flow pump to feed the 044 as they don't particularly like sucking fuel from the bottom of a tank.

I'll just use the electrics which went to the td5 pump to run this pump instead so the ECU will control it as per normal.

That's my rough plan - I'll provide more info when I've got a little further. And it's entirely possible that I might choose to use the td5 pump and just extend the discovery fuel lines with stuff from SSL diesel parts. 1990 Defender 110 200TDI Camper - now converted to Td5 power
Post #833402 26th May 2020 7:47am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
VVS210

United Kingdom 
diesel_jim wrote:

This one seems to have a lot more with it for only £30 more?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=ht...3085851743
Post #833418 26th May 2020 9:07am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>