↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 200tdi > Td5 conversion - am I missing anything?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Hazza

United Kingdom 1990 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bronze Green
Just got the Td5 in my 110 fired up after doing this conversion.

Overall I've not hit too many snags, a few of things to be aware of:

Defender and Discovery power steering pumps are almost identical apart from the thread of the high pressure output to the pump. You'll likely need to buy a defender pump or fabricate a pipe with the correct end (I was trying to save money so cut the defender union off and welded the end off the discovery pipe in its place).

Td5 runs very happily on a Bosch 044 equivalent from Sytec. I'm running a pre-filter, the pump, a fuel filter, and a non return valve to keep everything nice and clean. This does away with the fairly complex Td5 pipework and the porous filter heads, means you can use your current tank, and cost about £150 including all fittings etc. A replacement pump is about £60. For information, the Td5 fuel pipes are 6mm inner diameter. 8mm hose will push onto the barb on the fuel pressure regulator and fuel cooler for your supply and return. Or you can use 8mm to 6mm reducers to use the factory fuel pipe connectors.

Defender 15p coolant flow is pretty complicated and from what I could find (or not find) poorly documented. I've eventually ended up with the correct pipe work!

Creating a working loom from the discovery harness isn't too bad of a job. But I'd probably buy an off the shelf harness if I was going to do this conversion again just to save some time.

Buy some suitable connectors to replace the bullet connector block for the engine harness if you're going to mix old and new looms.

Hope this is helpful! 1990 Defender 110 200TDI Camper - now converted to Td5 power
Post #842465 8th Jul 2020 12:02am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JR

Scotland 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Coniston Green
Woody3 wrote:
Thanks for the replies chaps!

I'll try and summarise below (I'm afraid there's going to be more questions Embarassed )...

1) Wiring Loom
I was quoted an eye watering £600 for just the dash wiring loom! Shocked This is the reason I was hoping to keep with as much as the existing wiring loom as possible and only have parts of the td5 loom to make the engine work as such. I'm going to have to have a rethink on this part, especially if I can't use the existing clocks...

Ian Dixon, of Dixon Fabrications, is now selling wiring looms for Defender conversions! Apparently they include only the wiring necessary for a Defender, so no immobiliser, etc. They can also be made as long as required which will allow the ecu to be fitted wherever you wish. Remember that the original Defender Td5 launch in ?Spain? had rather lumpy headlinings where they had relocated the ecu's, etc from under the driver's seat to the roof where they were guaranteed to be safe from water ingress!

Apparently his looms are also designed for use with the standard under seat fuel tank!

I've been thinking of doing this conversion to my 1984 90 which was retro-fitted with a 200Tdi about 2-4yrs before I bought it in 2000, and plan on researching this particular wiring loom, not least as my motor is still running its original 12 glass fuse setup!!
Post #847674 2nd Aug 2020 8:14pm
Woody3

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Bronze Green
Sorry I've not responded sooner to this thread - my Defender project was put on the back burner for a while unfortunately.

Hazza, that's very useful information, thank you. It'll definitely come in handy!

JR - that's good to know regarding the wiring looms, again thank you.

I am yet to source a decent td5 engine, so at this stage I am keeping the 200tdi and cracking on with my bodywork restoration, but hopefully I'll find one in the not too distant future!

Thanks again for everyone's input!

I'll update as and when I start the conversion!
Post #850520 17th Aug 2020 3:20pm
Jorge-Peru

Ecuador 
diesel_jim wrote:
Havng built 3x Td5's now, I'd suggest just getting all the wiring looms. It'll be so much easier.

The dash loom is different anyway as the Td5 uses the small LED warning panel. Plus the wing looms are un-plugable, makes removing/fitting wings much easier too.

Get all the fuel pipes as well.

I think I've got the dimensions here somewhere for the rear tank support frame (off of a 90.. last one I built was a 90). easy to make.

ABS won't matter

Hi diesel_jim, I'm new here, from Peru, We have the problem that We can't import a Td5 or Td4 because of fabrication years here, I read you built 3 Td5's and wanted to contact you, if you read this message, here is my email jguerrerob@gmail.com
Post #1021687 18th Jan 2024 6:57pm
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
diesel_jim wrote:
^^^ Yes discovery 1 300Tdi manual gearbox crossmember fits straight up and the Td5 R380 onto that, that's what I did on my last 90 Td5 build. Also makes it easier to loate the engine mounts if you drop the drivetrain in first and tack weld them into place.

It sounds like a mammoth amount of parts, but the last one I did I got pretty much all of it from ebay and on here.
Discovery 300 x member doesn't fit without modification Defender 300 X member is deeper for deeper Defender chassis rails.
Post #1021693 18th Jan 2024 7:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12