↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Bodstruck 200tdi 90
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Got the holes welded up and cut out the holes to take the correct captive nuts.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Trial fitted to make sure there would be no drama once painted. I had bought new captive nuts for the job. Turns out they had the wrong (or at least different) thread. Bummer. Luckily I had some square m8 nuts in the garage so swapped these into the cages .

The doors now fit with a decent gap all round and no longer foul the bodywork.

The nice men at Raptor engineering sent me this today Smile Likely to be a few weeks before it gets fitted but it is always nice to start receiving the goodies.

Click image to enlarge

New door handles, locks, door window seals, vent seals and tub to side panel studs also arrived today.

Hoping to get the mucky jobs finished shortly and then into the garage to start painting.
Post #831848 18th May 2020 7:19pm
L110CDL

England 
Nice project work your doing on the 90 Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #832061 19th May 2020 8:19pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
mpb wrote:
Cheers for that. Think I’ll be on the hunt for a second hand one

There is one for sale on ebay at the moment. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-DEFE...3415315945
Looks to be in really good nick. Recon he would take an offer. not sure how far he is from you - Ashbourne.
Post #832417 21st May 2020 4:25pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
L110CDL wrote:
Nice project work your doing on the 90 Thumbs Up

Thank you. Really tempting to get more stuck in but we now have all the goodies we need either here or on the way the kids are desperate to get it back on the road. Must stick to the spruce-up mentality.

After much deliberation I went for a Raptor Engineering spare wheel carrier. Rose joints and looks to be a really robust mount on the tub and crossmember. Out of stock in the UK though so ordered one from Italy. Actually worked out cheaper. Lord only knows when it will turn up though.

New batteries arrived today. A pair of Numax CXV27s as recommended elsewhere on the forum. I just need the one for now as the current battery is kaput but I will put both in eventually. Nothing fancy in terms of wiring, I'll either keep them both connected permanently or use a battery joiner - the victron cyrix looks ideal.

Replacement clutch pedal assembly has also arrived. Original one is super heavy. This one has the assist spring and has the added advantage of being a 300Tdi one so my pedal lock will actually fit now Smile

Bit more sanding then paint can begin. Need to evict the sandrail from the garage first.
Post #832418 21st May 2020 4:34pm
L110CDL

England 
Good bit of work coming up when the items come and you should have some good weather to crack on with it Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #832473 21st May 2020 7:42pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Bit of a detour. One of the panoramic windows wasnt bonded on that well at the top so had to take the side panel off and sort it.

Click image to enlarge

Once done, started to prep the joints ahead of the paint job.

Click image to enlarge

Then evicted the buggy from the garage and squeezed the 90 in. Bit of a tight fit but it will do the job.

Click image to enlarge

Few days of painting ahead now.
Post #833764 27th May 2020 8:25pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Managed to make some reasonable progress last night and early this morning before it warmed up too much.

First coat all round. Paint is all satin finish, the idea being that it is unlikely to be cleaned again and if (when) it get bashed and scraped then a quick touch with brush or roller and all should be good.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #833830 28th May 2020 9:03am
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Have you got much orange peel...

I’ll get my coat!
Post #833857 28th May 2020 12:40pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Boom boom. 😀
Post #833862 28th May 2020 1:01pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
3 coats of paint on now. Time to think about putting it back together.

Unpacked the wheel carrier. Raptor engineering one which came from Italy. Delivery was fast and even with the 25 euro pistbit was cheaper then when they were available here in the UK.
Looks really solid. Hefty crissmember and tub mounts and the rose joints seem nice and smooth. Time will tell I suppose. The rest door had really suffered after having an Insa Turbo special trak hanging on it for a while. Door was buckled as was the original carrier. This should be much better.

Click image to enlarge

Small job for today is fitting the seats back in after the freelander ones came out.
Post #834228 30th May 2020 11:24am
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Seats are now in. Just temporary for now as I have a leather autobiography drivers seat to go on once all done. No real desire for a leather seat but this was brand new and cheap (£80).

Main work has been more painting - inside edges of doors etc. I had also misjudged the position of the chequer plate on the bonnet so had to do more sanding and another couple of coats. Orange is a nightmare for coverage, not very opaque.

Yesterday I wheeled it out of the garage and started putting stuff back on. Lights, grill, number plate etc. Also started to put back on the chequer plate, some of which had been given a fresh coat of black satin.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Not everyone's cuppa but I like it and it is perfect for when the kids use it as a big climbing frame.

Also fitted the Raptor engineering spare wheel carrier this morning. Not a bad job, made easier by having the rear door off already.

Before:

Click image to enlarge

After;

Click image to enlarge

Nice bit of kit. Installed fairly easily, has a smooth action and very solid mounts to the crossmember and body.

Next jobs - raptor dash console and trim bits, doors and arches back on and a new fog light as the old one wont fit with the wheel carrier on.
Post #835775 7th Jun 2020 6:35pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Wiring, wiring, wiring.

I am sure it is the same with many older defenders but the wiring in this was a bif of a state. There was a home made dash console with a double din stereo, CB and some switches to control the external lights.

Work light had a switch but no light. No relay for the light bar and all the 12v was supplied by the same single random perm live wire.

Still some work to do to tidy up the headlight wiring but that is a hob for another day.

Dash is now all sorted, raptor console fitted, new stereo and reused the switches and USB sockets. New live feed from the second battery for all the accessories to two secondary fuse boxes - one for perm and one for switched live. Relay installed ready for the light bar when it goes back on. Didn't use one for the rear work lights as they are low power.

New pair of LED rear work lights fitted and new fog light as well.

Dash before:

Click image to enlarge

And after:

Click image to enlarge

And the new work lights:

Click image to enlarge

Cant refit the door cards yet as I need a link rod for the door lock but that is one of the next jobs. Also on the list next : refit the front arches (rears already on) seals for door bottoms, recover the headlining and fit the replacement drivers seat.
300tdi clutch pedal to go in as well and also install some sound deadening foam on the roof and sides
Post #837395 15th Jun 2020 8:00pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Locks now sorted, single key for all door Shocked
Lined the roof with some insulating foam, this was to combat winter condensation more than anything else.

Click image to enlarge

Rear access was tricky so after much deliberation decided to fit a rear step. Second hand from ebay for £20. Had to modify is slightly to fit it and the towbar but a relatively simple job, just needed a bit of extra plate welding on.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I bought an autobiography leather drivers seat a while ago for my 110. Fitted that and decided I do t really want it after all. Going to leave but in for now but will sell it and recover the old vinyl one.

Click image to enlarge

I have been looking at options for replacement feet for the bargain Hannibal rack I bought. It was mounted to a front roll cage so minus a pair of legs. Noone in the UK seems to have spares and the company has gone bust which was a problem.
Got in touch with a distributor in oz and as luck would have it, he is having some legs cast from the original moulds. So a couple of those on the way in the next 2 weeks and I'll then be able to get the rack fitted.

Click image to enlarge

After a busy few weeks it is great to be finally getting it out of the garage and onto the plain.

Click image to enlarge

Still more jobs to do. More wiring to tidy. Headlining for front. Light bar once roof rack is on and fit the replacement clutch pedal at some point
Bit of a clunk when setting off so need to investigate that.
And source some replacement tyres as I dont need anything as aggressive as the special trak.
Post #840261 28th Jun 2020 4:15pm
L110CDL

England 
Just caught up on this thread and great work being done, looking good out of the garage Cool 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #841647 3rd Jul 2020 8:40pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Thanks. Very pleased with it and the kids are very happy having a vehicle they can climb all over again.
Just need to get out and use it now Smile
Post #841723 4th Jul 2020 9:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>