↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Septic Tank Dye
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
walfy

Septic Tank Dye
We have a septic tank in our garden which services us and next door. In an ideal world I'd like for them to get their own but thats not happening anytime soon, so were stuck with sharing.

Anyway, the issue we have is over the last couple of months we have had seepage of fluid through our garden wall and onto our drive. This seepage is breaking surface 15m from the tank, so I'm quite content it's been filtered by the ground and theres no nastys inside but it just looks bad when visitors come that we have this seepage.
I want to put a dye down the soakaway outlet on the tank to prove it's this water and we need a new soakaway sorted. Then we can share the costs.
I've contacted a local company and asked about costs and it's just as expensive for them to send a bloke out with a bucket of dye as it is to send a bloke and a lorry and empty the tank.
I can find the dye on amazon but it's not in stock and no idea when it will be.
Does anyone know of any other outlets that will sell it? Google is failing me currently. I'm based in Somerset if that helps. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #830702 12th May 2020 3:17pm
Pilgrimmick

United Kingdom 
Just use blue food dye, costs pennies. 80" 1948
Lightweight V8
Bowler Tomcat
130 Station wagon
90 300tdi
(Santana PS10 pick up)
Range Rover L322 (Ful fat)
Post #830708 12th May 2020 3:41pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Screw fix or any builders merchants should have it in stock. If your struggling to find it pm and I will see what I can sort out for you Thumbs Up

https://www.screwfix.com/p/monument-tools-...tid=726661 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #830728 12th May 2020 5:34pm
walfy

Many thanks, ordered some fom toolstation, just waitinf for the text to say I can go and collect 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #830859 13th May 2020 11:34am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Just wondering how you got on with this?
Post #887916 26th Feb 2021 9:45am
walfy

Found the dye and dumped it down the outlet pipe of the tank. It took 24hrs to seep through and come out of the wall. So I'm content the pathway of water is formed. But it's coming through to fast.
Roll forward and since my experiment we've had a couple of heavy downpours. Funnily enough 12-18hrs aftyer the rain we get a deluge of water through our wall. The pressure can force the water out so it comes out about an inch before it drops. So a proper fountain.
We've since discovered that our house and next door which is up the lane are both built on bedrock, so we think the surface water from the field behind next door is hitting bedrock and then surfacing in my garden, and with no where to go it comes out my wall.
When we moved in, we approached the farmer to buy a sliver of field, about 1/5th acre. But because we wanted it for garden he refused point blank. Roll forward and because it's the water from their field that's causing the problem they are now amenable to selling a smaller sliver of land.
I've approached a ground works company and it seems we can move our drainfield with no issues or problem from the EA, they even suggested not talking to the EA, as we don't need a permit because we improving an existing system and installing new.
So just waiting on land agents from the farmers side to value the land and then see where we go.
But I'm expecting a heavy bill.
Bad farmland around here is valued at between £6-8K and acre. So I'm expecting it to be a bit more than that for a 1/5 acre. But we'll see 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #888554 1st Mar 2021 9:16pm
Supacat

Thanks ~ useful to know for us with similar arrangements. Thumbs Up
Post #888581 2nd Mar 2021 6:42am
Pilgrimmick

United Kingdom 
Is the farmer not responsible for drainage on his land? Think he may need to have adequate drainage to prevent problems on neighbouring properties. 80" 1948
Lightweight V8
Bowler Tomcat
130 Station wagon
90 300tdi
(Santana PS10 pick up)
Range Rover L322 (Ful fat)
Post #888584 2nd Mar 2021 7:36am
walfy

Not sure. Is the farmer responsible for water from his fields?
I can't categorically prove its water from his fields. But the water only runs from our wall after a downpour. We live on a lane, the lane joins another road at a T junction above our neighbours. We are the only 2 properties on this side of the lane.
A pants description but it's hard to accurately describe my location.
Anyway, neighbours house is on a level plane to the field but recently their garden has become very wet after heavy rain. We live in a high clay content area, so drainage is never going to be great.
Both our propertys are built on bedrock or very close to it.
My thought process is, the water in the fields is draining down into the ground, hitting the bedrock and then following this and then because our garden is above the road level and my drive is at road level, the only way for the water to disperse is through our wall.
Bizarrely the field next to us is fairly dry in the corner that I want to purchase. So looking at the different methods of achieving a drainfield. Looking like a crate system will be the cheapest option to have fitted 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #888798 3rd Mar 2021 11:49am
Supacat

Perhaps not, but if you could do the dye test from his land, or find a way to demonstrate that it was, then it might depend on what he does on the field, if he ploughs it, or has put land drains in elsewhere? There must be a reason the water is flowing now and was not previously? Well maybe other than the two particularly wet periods we've had in recent years.

"The escape of water from land is generally covered by the law of private nuisance. A private nuisance occurs where someone does something they are lawfully entitled to do on their land, which has adverse consequences for a neighbour’s land. The three categories of private nuisance are where (a) the owner encroaches on his neighbour’s land, (b) causes physical damage to a neighbour’s land, or (c) unduly interferes with a neighbour’s comfortable and convenient enjoyment of their land.

Many classic examples of the second kind of private nuisance involve flooding or damp. A person is not ordinarily liable for rainwater that accumulates naturally and flows downhill, but if someone interferes with the course of a stream, they must ensure that the new course does not overflow on to a neighbour’s land.

Therefore, it is a nuisance to allow a drain to become blocked or make a concrete paved driveway so water overflows on to adjacent land. The person causing the overflow and the owner of the land will be liable. For example, in the 1960 case of Pemberton v Bright, a local authority altered a culvert on private land, which later became blocked and overflowed.

The Court of Appeal found that the council and the landowner were liable, the one for causing the nuisance and the other for continuing or adopting it."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/my-neig...-z5fg29g0s

Raising any of this may of course be counterproductive to your current negotiations, something which you are probably already well aware of.
Post #888809 3rd Mar 2021 12:55pm
walfy

I think that if I make waves with the water issue currently then it will be counter productive as you say. I need to buy the land, move my drainfield and then revisit the water issue. If I address it now, they may just block the sale of the land and make me use the Deed of Covenant, which would be a pain 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #889010 4th Mar 2021 12:55pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Quote:
"Make waves...."

You've got enough of them coming out of your wall! Laughing
Post #889067 4th Mar 2021 6:58pm
Chicken George

United Kingdom 
The farmer and his agent are likely to price the land according to perceived uplift of your properties value, rather than the value of farmland.

Just saying

Is the water running off the surface of his land due to altered/bad farming practice. Or underground due to local geology.

Yes I am a farmer,. But I'm not taking sides, just discussing
Post #889082 4th Mar 2021 7:51pm
walfy

I agree about value of land, but there is precedent in the area for sensible pricing. I've spoken to a farmer who sold small parcels of land and to people who have purchased. It seems the area I would like should be in the region of £5K. But we'll see.
The farms estate manager and the land agent both understand the water issue is being caused by water from their land so hope that goes in my favour.
As to bad farming practices, I can't comment, but in the 3yrs I've been here they haven't changed anything. But the field I think is causing the problem is super wet and has been for 18 months. the field below it has a huge wet streak down in, possibly 30m wide and runes for 100m. When we had the snow it didn't settle there due to the wetness.
Also when I go to the next door neighbours stables, and look back up at the field you can see the wet area like a black and white field contrast. So my thought is it's geology rather than bad practices.
The ditch between the upper and lower field is full and collapsed, the banks have fallen in and it can't do it's job.
In my mind, digging the ditch out and a couple of land drains would solve the issue but because it's a tenant farmer he's not interested.
So we're just in a waiting game now 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #889821 8th Mar 2021 11:46am
Supacat

Chicken George wrote:
The farmer and his agent are likely to price the land according to perceived uplift of your properties value, rather than the value of farmland.

It can work both ways though. Sometimes, there's an upper ceiling to house prices in an area, and adding land will actually do very little to that value if there isn't any headroom.
Post #889841 8th Mar 2021 12:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>