↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Septic Tank Dye
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
walfy

Agreed, if we look at our house and what we paid 3yrs ago and now for the online valuation it has had 40% increase in value. Now I'm not that naive to think it has increased by that much but if it's anywhere close then that is a huge uplift.
I live in a hamlet of about 10 houses. And we're not the smallest property, next door is £600K but is a bigger house and a lot bigger garden, probable 2-3 times the size.
So theres not a huge amount of room on valuation. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #889844 8th Mar 2021 1:58pm
Chicken George

United Kingdom 
I guess it depends on existing garden size, if small adding will up the value, if large already the landowner will suspect you are trying to sneak in a building plot and will want his share of any profits from the land.

If he is a tenant farmer then it will be difficult to buy the land as the landlord would have to compensate the tenant for loss of holding.

The ditch should be maintained no matter what the farmers ownership terms are,

bad practices would include cultivating up and down hill rather than across, or having a feeding area in a place that might cause soil erosion/water run off.

I would try and speak to the landlord regarding water run off.
Post #889900 8th Mar 2021 4:54pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
What's been in the field recently? We had spuds in an adjacent field and a leaking joint on an irrigation wheel lost quite a bit of water before it was sorted.
Post #889923 8th Mar 2021 6:22pm
walfy

Chicken George wrote:
I guess it depends on existing garden size, if small adding will up the value, if large already the landowner will suspect you are trying to sneak in a building plot and will want his share of any profits from the land.

If he is a tenant farmer then it will be difficult to buy the land as the landlord would have to compensate the tenant for loss of holding.

The ditch should be maintained no matter what the farmers ownership terms are,

bad practices would include cultivating up and down hill rather than across, or having a feeding area in a place that might cause soil erosion/water run off.

I would try and speak to the landlord regarding water run off.

I've already said that I want a covenant placed in the sale (if it goes ahead) that states I can't build a residential property on the land. It would ruin our view , so we'd never build anyway. So it's a good bargaining point for us as it's never going to happen.
Our plot is long and thin. House is at top of plot with attached single garage. looking at front, we then have patio and lawn, 3 car drive, double garage, veggie patch. Without out the house we are at 1/5 of an acre. We want to buy land the length of the lawn and drive. So would increase land plot by 25%. So not a huge amount. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #890107 9th Mar 2021 10:36am
walfy

Supacat wrote:
What's been in the field recently? We had spuds in an adjacent field and a leaking joint on an irrigation wheel lost quite a bit of water before it was sorted.

Since we've been here, we've had 2 crops of maize, and what looks like grass currently but not sure. They planted and have gone again with fertilizer(?) since, it's not growing very fast. Would farmers go out of their way to plant grass? They don't have any cattle that I know of. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #890108 9th Mar 2021 10:38am
kenzle8a

It will be set aside on rotation to rest the field. It doesn't take long for nature to reclaim once we stop tilling / spraying.
Post #890125 9th Mar 2021 11:24am
Supacat

walfy wrote:
Supacat wrote:

Since we've been here, we've had 2 crops of maize, and what looks like grass currently but not sure. They planted and have gone again with fertilizer(?) since, it's not growing very fast. Would farmers go out of their way to plant grass? They don't have any cattle that I know of.

You want to start watching Harry's Farm on YouTube ~ allows me to have a passable conversation with the local farmers and ask about tiller development. Very Happy

Fields around us all look like grass at the moment but it will soon shoot up and maybe it's wheat or barley?
Post #890188 9th Mar 2021 2:10pm
walfy

The current person who farms the land is a tenent farmer, who sold the land to current owner. Current owner purchased the land to stop solar panels being erected in the field. Due to the field being visible from the manor house, and when I say manor house it's a proper big old lump of a house.
Current owners have a lot of cash and are buying up land to try and recreate the old manor and all it's land. They will fail ultimately but they are almost there.

Anyway, the current people who do work on the land don't even get out of the tractor, let alone talk to us peasants who live nearby 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #890217 9th Mar 2021 4:34pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
.... WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.

Last edited by Zed on 11th Mar 2021 9:17pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #890228 9th Mar 2021 5:26pm
Chicken George

United Kingdom 
That is the way, once in our mobile palaces we arnt going to stop and talk to peasents,

That said my tractor is about 15 years old now, so will soon be low enough status to allow conversations with the low classes.

More realistically when in tractor it means the waether is good, no time to stop and natter.
Post #890267 9th Mar 2021 7:10pm
walfy

@chicken George

I have no issue with them working flat out when the weather is good. It's them that makes part of the economy work. Just when they try and exit the field and we're stood in our garden doing stuff they don't acknowledge or give way. I understand they must be under a huge time pressure to get the work done. I've seen them out in the field well past bedtime before doing farming stuff. Not a job I'd like to do.
The actual owners who I've never met but only know through reputation seem like good people. They've had a massive dry stone wall built along the main road by us. It looks very impressive and must of cost them an absolute fortune. But its a nice feature along that stretch of road. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #890887 12th Mar 2021 9:50am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
[quote="walfy"It's a proper big old lump of a house. Current owners have a lot of cash and are buying up land to try and recreate the old manor and all it's land. They will fail ultimately but they are almost there.[/quote]

That sounds interesting, now I want to know more! There is a similar project near us Heveningham Hall, who are building a Capability Brown landscape with lakes, bridge millions of trees planted. It's impressive stuff, the bridge alone cost £1m apparently. Shocked James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #890980 12th Mar 2021 5:28pm
Supacat

Off to Google that Laughing

And there's your water problem ~ he's built another one of these:

Tycoon's underground FERRIS WHEEL to show off his Ferraris:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3...plans.html
Post #890983 12th Mar 2021 6:10pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
That's the same owner as Heveningham Hall, I guess that's why you posted it. Also look Wilderness Reserve, unbelievable!! Best day out ever is Heveningham Concours!! James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #890999 12th Mar 2021 7:29pm
Supacat

I think I misread and thought H Hall was the big house near Walfy, on 2nd reading, I see that it isn't ~ apologies to OP, so way off topic. Embarassed
Post #891075 13th Mar 2021 10:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>