↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > INEOS Grenadier > Update Episode 2 is out. The suspension
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
diduan

Bulgaria 
Fair comment, Grenadier Thumbs Up
Unfortunately I do not like the face representing JLR in the media.
There is no doubt that people at LR are more than capable to produce a great new defender if they were given the chance to do so. Defender 110 SW MY2011 2.4tdci decat, no EGR
Jeep Wrangler YJ 1990 4.0. Front 78' Dana 60, Rear CUCV 14 bolt
Post #829342 5th May 2020 9:54am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It is interesting to compare the two different corporate ethoi (which I believe is the plural of ethos).

I can't help but feel that if you went to an Ineos dealer to talk about a vehicle similar to the classic Defender you will be treated with respect and interest, if you went to JLR you'll either be told that you have misunderstood your own requirements and really need something quite different, or possibly just shown the (showroom) door.
Post #829345 5th May 2020 10:18am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
It was worth starting this thread just so that Blackwolf could unleash the word "ethoi" on us unsuspecting readers! I am going to use that at my work team meeting on Friday. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #829354 5th May 2020 11:15am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Rolling with laughter Even I had to look that one up! Thumbs Up
Post #829355 5th May 2020 11:27am
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Yeah, great word. Could also come in handy for lockdown Scrabble. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #829358 5th May 2020 11:30am
skyrover

United Kingdom 
4 link suspension... addressing one of the current Defender's weakness's, decent front articulation.

Excellent Cool
Post #829458 6th May 2020 8:02am
Setok

Finland 
I'm liking the thinking behind this a lot. The only pity is it's not being designed from the ground up as an EV. Having taken a Tesla out for a weekend long test drive, I think there is no doubt that is where we are heading, and quite soon too. The power control, the (lack of) noise, the immediate torque, the storage space, the lack of gears, the lack of exhaust pipes that break, the regen, the handy charging at home (or even charging when stopping for a pee break)...

Basically Ineos should've acquired Bollinger and scaled production to the point they could cut costs!

Even despite that, an Ineos could be very tempting based on what we've heard so far.
Post #833569 26th May 2020 9:30pm
Bluest

I think having a battery as an option might have merit, going fully electric across the range for this type of vehicle is not a good move yet I don't think. Batteries are just not good enough and/or cheap enough for this market yet. The Bollinger is heavy, too heavy for it to be driven on a car license in the EU (although that is at least partially down to them trying to avoid certain US safety regs) and it is going to be way more expensive than what I think will be the Grenadier starting price. No one is going to head anywhere remote or underdeveloped in big battery powered 4x4 just yet. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #833576 26th May 2020 9:48pm
Setok

Finland 
I agree the Bollinger is too expensive, but I think a big part of that is they don't seem to have managed to closed the needed investment to do economies of scale (plus also some bits are probably unnecessarily good, like portal axles). I'm not sure if the car itself is too heavy or more like the payload weight. For the EU this kind of vehicle definitely needs to be registrable as a car, I agree.

However I think an EV needs to be designed from the ground up to be an EV. The optimal layout is completely different from a combustion engine + transmission system. That's where you get cool things like the Bollinger's ability to have planks go all the way through, or Tesla's front storage (froot? frunk?). A chassis designed around a battery creates fantastic stability through a low centre of gravity. Also with the way battery tech is developing now, it's very soon going to be a complete no-brainer to switch to EVs completely. Even the US Army is looking that way. The problem Ineos might face is they are effectively designing for 'yesterday's tech' and as a completely new company there's a chance they get left behind before anything even hits the streets.

With the upcoming Cybertruck boasting a 500 mile range, charging points becoming even more common than petrol stations, the ability to charge (albeit slowly) with solar, I think the writing is on the wall. It's a very real possibility that overlanding will soon be easier in an EV than an ICE (electricity sockets are, after all, ubiquitous). Hell, someone crossed Africa in a previous generation Nissan Leaf, which is hardly the cutting edge of electric tech... Interestingly there's seemingly nobody in Europe doing a utility offroad 4x4 EV, so there's probably an open spot in the market for just that.
Post #833607 26th May 2020 11:22pm
Bluest

I mostly agree Setok, but I just think it is maybe 5 to 10 years too soon for this particular vehicle type and market. The tech just needs time to mature a bit and for some standardisation on things like charging points for example. By then, batteries will be better, there will be more public confidence in tech. Also, this is a product aimed at conservative buyers, and on the business side, fleets buyers can be a very conservative bunch. There’s a phrase I heard recently, ”no one ever got fired for buying a Transit”, in a discussion about switching to alternative fuelled vans. Some companies view the switch as too risky for now. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #833612 26th May 2020 11:44pm
Arkaig

Scotland 
I agree the Bollinger is too expensive. I'm keeping a close eye on the Rivian R1S. I note they have advanced engineering facilities in Woking.
Post #833786 27th May 2020 10:28pm
Setok

Finland 
Bluest wrote:
I mostly agree Setok, but I just think it is maybe 5 to 10 years too soon for this particular vehicle type and market. The tech just needs time to mature a bit and for some standardisation on things like charging points for example. By then, batteries will be better, there will be more public confidence in tech. Also, this is a product aimed at conservative buyers, and on the business side, fleets buyers can be a very conservative bunch. There’s a phrase I heard recently, ”no one ever got fired for buying a Transit”, in a discussion about switching to alternative fuelled vans. Some companies view the switch as too risky for now.

The switch is happening surprisingly rapidly. Just recently Toyota announced they'll be bringing out EVs as the demand has been greater than they predicted. Charging point standards are pretty much set in Europe (Type 2 / CCS). Ineos is still a couple of years away at least, so battery tech will have evolved even more then. Effectively they are making a bet on old tech which, as a new company without a ready product can be risky. I'd argue it's actually more risky for a new company to pander to conservative buyers than to go with the new, as the conservative buyers are going to stick with their Toyotas and whatnots anyway, rather than trust some completely new company. So could be better to come out that would make the forward thinking fleet buyers start to stack the expenses up (fuel, maintenance) and perhaps come to the conclusion that they could give this a go.
Post #833847 28th May 2020 12:11pm
Setok

Finland 
Arkaig wrote:
I agree the Bollinger is too expensive. I'm keeping a close eye on the Rivian R1S. I note they have advanced engineering facilities in Woking.

The Rivian is interesting, but seems more like a luxury offroader (reminds me most of the previous generation Disco) than something that would compete with pickups and other utility vehicles. Tesla's Cybertruck actually seems like more of a 'working man' vehicle, though it's a tad big...
Post #833848 28th May 2020 12:13pm
Arkaig

Scotland 
Setok wrote:
The Rivian is interesting, but seems more like a luxury offroader (reminds me most of the previous generation Disco) than something that would compete with pickups and other utility vehicles..

For the pickup market, Rivian offer the R1T truck which is available now for preorder. https://rivian.com/r1t/
Post #833850 28th May 2020 12:22pm
Setok

Finland 
I don't think any of those Rivians are really intended at the 'working' market. The messaging, materials and the price seems more geared for the 'adventure' type of people (=people who drive around town but like to feel adventurous Smile. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, mind you (I kind of like those Rivians), but it's a different segment I feel.

I mean the prices start at around 70K, and you're not even getting the 400 mile range with that. That's almost double what Tesla is claiming for the Cybertruck and right up there with the new Defender. Which actually leads to an interesting question: if you were paying that kind of money, why would you take a Defender and not a Rivian (assuming it was actually in production)?

This of course is something Ineos will have to think carefully about. If it's going to be a real farmer / work vehicle, it can't be too precious.
Post #833856 28th May 2020 1:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>