Home > Off Topic > Home Signal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
L110CDL

England 
Home Signal
Hi

This might be a long shot but my Vodafone sure signal V3 has packed up, it's dead Sad so i got in touch with Vodafone to get another one, they told me they can't let me have another one as they are going to discontinue them and they do not have the replacement for it Sad
In our old house we had 4g and didn't need the sure signal and had no worries, but in the new house with no sure signal, only one bar Sad

So my question is, can any of you recommend a good home mobile phone signal booster please

TIA. 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #827077 22nd Apr 2020 9:08pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
i have been looking into 4g routers and signal amplifiers, these were recommended, i haevnt taken plunge yet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C1D...&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C1D...&psc=1 Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #827081 22nd Apr 2020 9:22pm
L110CDL

England 
Thanks James for the 2 links, i have had a quick read up and i prefer the one that had a review that they put it in loft, i would rather do that Very Happy
I will have to do some more homework on this Smile 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #827089 22nd Apr 2020 9:50pm
newton-tony

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Firenze Red
Does wifi calling on Vodafone not work for you? I have had 3 sure signals fail over the years and have a similar challenge with mobile reception at home.

I ultimately moved to O2, but more because they offered an eSIM and this was something I wanted.

Wifi calling now works a treat on O2 for me and with Vodafone, for my wife.
Post #827098 22nd Apr 2020 10:22pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
So the sure signal is (I believe) a device known as a femtocell, which uses your home broadband to create a tiny 4g network in your home.

Those 2 amazon links are for high gain 4g antennas, for use connecting to a 4g based broadband modem/router, such as those used where landline signals are not available/viable, or in a motorhome type use case.

Which one are you after? Solving a lack of home broadband, or getting your mobile phone connected when at home?
Post #827099 22nd Apr 2020 10:25pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
newton-tony wrote:
Does wifi calling on Vodafone not work for you? I have had 3 sure signals fail over the years and have a similar challenge with mobile reception at home.

I ultimately moved to O2, but more because they offered an eSIM and this was something I wanted.

Wifi calling now works a treat on O2 for me and with Vodafone, for my wife.

My Vodafone service uses / offers wifi calling - I believe most Android phones now do. The sure signals are notoriously unreliable and wifi calling works well if you have a suitably good broadband connection to your home.
Post #827102 22nd Apr 2020 10:30pm
L110CDL

England 
Thank you for your reply's Thumbs Up

I have never had a problem with my sure signal V3 until now after 4 years of use, so i must have been lucky with it Very Happy

I have got wifi calling and i know there is a app for texting through the wifi but that is only to other vodafone users, but i need the phone signal for texting and to other networks for work and my daughters need it for there work as well Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #827104 22nd Apr 2020 10:42pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
Can I suggest in that case that you switch from using SMS to a data connection-based messaging service such as WhatsApp or the like? They work very well now. If you're paranoid about your privacy there are a number of more anonymous platforms apparently - my sons and I use one called Discord for that reason. They also offer a great deal more functionality, should that be of interest.
Post #827105 22nd Apr 2020 10:53pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
jst wrote:
i have been looking into 4g routers and signal amplifiers, these were recommended, i haevnt taken plunge yet.

I installed a similar unit for a customer a couple of weeks ago, out in the middle of nowhere (the smokehouse near Burford, if anyone knows is)

Up on a bit of scaffholding just cabletied on, as a stop gap as the wired WAN was ("is", due to the lockdown all the ISP's have slowed it all down a bit to give everyone a slice of the cake), we got 32mb download anf 15mb upload! from 4G!! I nearly fell off the scaffholding when the computer chap shouted up the readings. was amazing.
Post #827117 23rd Apr 2020 6:45am
diesel_jim

Addition:

If you fit one of these high up (ie, a long cable run from your internal switch or router (set to switch mode), then I'd use cat6 as opposed to cat5/e. A fair length of cabe run will benefit from the thicker cores of the cat6... dont think the 4G receiver will be kicking out gigabit though Laughing
Post #827122 23rd Apr 2020 7:28am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
diesel_jim wrote:
jst wrote:

I installed a similar unit for a customer a couple of weeks ago, out in the middle of nowhere (the smokehouse near Burford, if anyone knows is)

Up on a bit of scaffholding just cabletied on, as a stop gap as the wired WAN was ("is", due to the lockdown all the ISP's have slowed it all down a bit to give everyone a slice of the cake), we got 32mb download anf 15mb upload! from 4G!! I nearly fell off the scaffholding when the computer chap shouted up the readings. was amazing.

Jamie, can you post which unit you used please?

this was to a 4g router or improve mobile reception? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #827284 23rd Apr 2020 9:25pm
PCM

United Kingdom 
I have a similar unit from 02. They call it a boostbox.
Had to switch to a business contract to get it, but the contract rates are still the same.
It's fully supported and I've had mine for years without a problem.
If Vodafone can't help. I'm sure 02 can.
Post #827314 24th Apr 2020 7:53am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Just change network if you can. There’s no real advantage for any one over the others these days so just go for the one that has the best coverage where you are.

I have zero Vodafone and Three coverage at home, so I had to change my own phone to EE which is generally much better in the highlands. My work phone is stuck on Vodafone unfortunately so I have a SureSignal but they’re not much cop.
Post #827315 24th Apr 2020 8:05am
jonny

It looks like EE / 3 support SMS over WiFi calling, so if you are prepared to swap network it might still be an option:

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthl...-p/2599863

We used to have vodafone suresignals (and the EE equivalents) - all of them have packed up over the years so we've had to swap entirely to wifi calling now..
Post #827320 24th Apr 2020 8:49am
diesel_jim

jst wrote:

Jamie, can you post which unit you used please?

this was to a 4g router or improve mobile reception?

I was subbying for the suppliers so I'll find out from him what model it was.

yes, 4G signal piped straight into a router (disconnecting the BT incoming line as it was sooo slow) to feed normal internet around the house.
Post #827325 24th Apr 2020 9:11am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>