↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Sheds - buying online
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
L110CDL

England 
Thanks Thumbs Up

Is the shed fixed to the ground in some way as if it's thin like you say, will it blow about ? 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #829126 3rd May 2020 9:34pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Forgot to say that the instructions were ambiguous to say the least.

My Dad helped me put it up and he’s no desk jockey, but he told me that he would have given up trying to assemble it from the instructions.

It’s just a giant Meccano set really.

Personally, I know it needs regular painting, but I would stick to wood if you want a shed.
Post #829128 3rd May 2020 9:35pm
Rashers

L110CDL wrote:
Thanks Thumbs Up

Is the shed fixed to the ground in some way as if it's thin like you say, will it blow about ?

Yes it is Clayton. And there’s the next issue. You fix it down last thing. It needs to be square and level as you assemble it for the fixings to line up. But it moves around as you assemble it. Some of it is nut and bolt, but a lot of it is held together with 8mm self tappers. It’s quite rigid now it’s up.

It’s a shame it’s not bolted down square and level at the start. I tried to sit the thing on rubber strip before screwing it down in a vague hope of keeping the water out, but that has failed miserably. Might have been better fixing it to a tanalised wood frame and floor, like a standard wooden shed?
Post #829129 3rd May 2020 9:42pm
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Retroanaconda wrote:
Definitely worth building your own as you can control the cost-cutting measures that go into most examples, but there are good suppliers around for pre-made small to medium sheds. I would expect minimum of 75x45 for the wall framing and 19mm cladding (actual finished thickness not nominal). And proper roofing like Onduline - not horrible old felt - plus perhaps most importantly.... gutters!

If in doubt, over-engineer it. It’s what I’ve done!

Click image to enlarge

That’s how I built the She-d for the other half, ended up 12x8 with 4x2 framing and 3x2 roof with Onduline corrugated roofing. Very strong. Also used acrylic sheet for the windows, much better than glass for an outbuilding.
Post #829165 4th May 2020 9:15am
L110CDL

England 
Rashers wrote:
L110CDL wrote:
Thanks Thumbs Up

Is the shed fixed to the ground in some way as if it's thin like you say, will it blow about ?

Yes it is Clayton. And there’s the next issue. You fix it down last thing. It needs to be square and level as you assemble it for the fixings to line up. But it moves around as you assemble it. Some of it is nut and bolt, but a lot of it is held together with 8mm self tappers. It’s quite rigid now it’s up.

It’s a shame it’s not bolted down square and level at the start. I tried to sit the thing on rubber strip before screwing it down in a vague hope of keeping the water out, but that has failed miserably. Might have been better fixing it to a tanalised wood frame and floor, like a standard wooden shed?

That seems the way to go Rashers with a shed floor and then fix the " thing " to it Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #829276 4th May 2020 7:17pm
keith

Scotland 
keith wrote:
Ordered my Tiger Shed summerhouse this week. Seems to be good service and quality.

Click image to enlarge

Well I’m seriously Censored cos my tiger shed still ain’t ere. That’s 16 weeks With no comms and just had email saying maybe another 4 weeks. WOT Evil or Very Mad Crap service. “ oh a wee lockdown project will do fine building a new shed “ I said.
It’ll be COVID 20 by the time it gets built me thinks. Rubbish.

Keith
Post #840331 28th Jun 2020 8:53pm
Rashers

Well, I'm not surprised that either you are getting no communication or there is a prolonged wait for your shed.

The world and his wife are doing sheds and summerhouses during times of lockdown and furlough.

A piece on the BBC News website today saying some building supplies are getting short because so many of us are getting projects done. After all, we can't go on holiday?

There's no excuse for poor communications and I understand your frustration, Keith.

Nothing worse than ordering something then having to wait an age for it to turn up
Post #840345 28th Jun 2020 9:17pm
Rashers

Click image to enlarge

My metal shed lasted about three weeks from construction to being written off.

My Dad offered to cut the grass. I heard the crash, in fact I heard two crashes. He had two goes at smacking it.

I actually felt really sorry for him as he was only trying to help me out and managed to mess up big time. At least the lawn mower wasn't damaged. I did warn him to be careful on slopes and near edges Rolling Eyes

You can't really repair a metal shed. I may try and bash it out a bit, but it's wrung the frame and panels are so wafer thin, I don't think they will take to being panel reshaped again.

I wish I hadn't screwed it down now. It might have saved the frame?

I think a wooden one might have taken less damage from the same impact, sorry impacts Laughing
Post #840346 28th Jun 2020 9:24pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It looks as though you should have put an Armco barrier round it!
Post #840350 28th Jun 2020 9:41pm
Rashers

The wife was gutted. We bought the shed as new and boxed off Gumtree at least two years ago and I had been putting off building it.

I get round to doing it and then this happens. It doesn’t show on the photo well but it will never be Water tight again Crying or Very sad

I’m glad it wasn’t Armco blackwolf, that would have written the mower off which would have been far more expensive. I value my mower more than my shed. Laughing
Post #840375 29th Jun 2020 6:34am
Pilgrimmick

United Kingdom 
The one thing I would suggest if building yourself, make sure the roof has a good sized overhang, keeps the walls dry and prolongs the life. 80" 1948
Lightweight V8
Bowler Tomcat
130 Station wagon
90 300tdi
(Santana PS10 pick up)
Range Rover L322 (Ful fat)
Post #840486 29th Jun 2020 3:30pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Reviving an old thread...I have finally ordered a new shed ! gulp.... 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #991835 8th May 2023 1:08pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Shed update:
Shed arrived a while ago, on the day Tiger Sheds said they would deliver.
Shed has had 3 coats of shed and fence paint plus what ever the shed was treated with when made.
Base built, well poured 1.6m3 of concrete made up on site and barrowed into form work.
10ftx10ft x 6". A DPC was added under the concrete and then when the shed base went down, the excess was folded over the shed floor and then trimmed once all built.

Left the concrete to set for a couple of weeks and then bank holiday Sunday, me and the B-i-L built it up.

Roofing was from rubber4roofs and used their Skyguard EDPM rubber. Excellent company to deal with.

Mains cable withdrawn from the underground duct and CAT6 shielded cable reinstalled along side the mains cable. CAT6 cable fed up internal soil pipe stack in the kitchen and into the loft to the box room. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #1006167 1st Sep 2023 1:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234