ibexman

United Kingdom 
Pros and cons of spare relocation
Thinking of relocating spare to inside 90
Anyone done this and gone back to rear door thoughts please cheers chris
Post #824216 9th Apr 2020 8:37am
Orangesofa

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Yep, I initially mounted mine on the interior bulkhead behind the front seats but found it to be simply too big and compromised interior space. I have since switched over to carrier on the back. Phil
Post #824218 9th Apr 2020 8:44am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Hello Ibex

I have a 90 HT, i moved my spare inside for a few years partly for security reasons and partly I found when I was competing in the BAMA navigation events the spare on the outside would act like a pendulum when leaving a wet track to a tarmac section. Having the weight over the rear axle was a benefit.

I also at the time built a false floor to accommodate two waffle boards, covered that in black carpet then a piece of stable flooring rubber mat, this does stop the spare from sliding. Then my brother and I made our version of a removable BAJA box which acts like a tray to keep personal gear, boxes and shopping away from the tyre, especially if it had been changed and was dirty.

As I don’t compete at present I moved the spare back to the rear door and use the space under the BAJA box for a couple of grey Euro box’s as they are easy to slide in and out or remove altogether .

Before I put the standard wheel mount back on the rear door I bought off EBay somebodies solution to padlock an alloy wheel and modified it to secure a steel wheel, which makes me feel happier.

So benefits, security, peace of mind, weight over the rear axle, more control at speed off road

Negatives, having to take it out for planned trips where you need the space, but then have no spare to hand.
Post #824221 9th Apr 2020 9:14am
ibexman

United Kingdom 
Thank for that mark
Post #824226 9th Apr 2020 9:43am
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Mine's on the roof currently, as I needed it off the back door.

Upsides are the back door is nice and light. Even with a spare carrier you're having to swing it out the way, and (I think) need the gas ram to stop the door murdering you on a slight incline.

Downsides are it's on the roof. Getting it down is utterly miserable, and necessary anytime I want to put anything else big on the roof!

I have had it inside the load area (110) for a while, and found, like others, it just took up too much space.
Post #824227 9th Apr 2020 9:44am
ibexman

United Kingdom 
Maybe someone coul come up with a space saver spare 🤔
Post #824232 9th Apr 2020 10:22am
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Isn't that a 7.5r16?!
Post #824233 9th Apr 2020 10:24am
MJN110

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Montalcino Red
I find that having weight in the back of the Defender improves the ride so removing the wheel from the rear door has a negative impact.
On the Puma and TD5 I find keeping my diesel tank full also helps maintain weight at the rear of the vehicle.
So I say keep your wheel on the door and your tank full. 2016 Defender Landmark 90
2005 Defender CSW TD5 90XS
Post #824240 9th Apr 2020 11:06am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I've temporarily removed my Allisport carrier to address the shocking powder-coat issues (a coronavirus project) and as a result temporarily have slung the spare in the back. I already have a deck across the wheel-boxes and gear stored under it, so the wheel is on the deck. I'll swear the blasted thing doubles in size when you move it inside, it is unbelievable how much space it takes up! I think I will probably move it onto the roof instead.

It is quite a big spare, a 255/85 on a Blindo, but none of them is small. You will curse if it is inside!

Interestingly taking the weight of the wheel and carrier off the back (the CoG when fitted is probably 6 to 8 inches behind the rear cross-member) and putting the wheel on its own inside over the axle has caused the rear of the vehicle to rise nearly an inch on the springs. I was very surprised how much difference it made.
Post #824244 9th Apr 2020 11:11am
Alex1976

England 
I took my spare off and have it on the floor between the wheel arches now. I prefer this as it takes any stress away from the rear door and makes it easier to open/close and also have noticed that rattles from the rear door have disappeared. I had a Mantec carrier and it was still not great.

It sits in the back just fine now and don’t notice it taking up any room, still got a large area for anything that needs to go in the back.

Also it helps with security - much happier it is out of the way and not an obvious thing to steal. Having it stored away it also keeps the tyre out of direct sunlight and the damage this causes.

Finally, I like the ‘clean’ look of the rear now.

Click image to enlarge

[/img]
Post #824261 9th Apr 2020 12:18pm
Lodelaner

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Shire Blue
I had a similar thought process and because I don't carry much in the back moving the spare wasn't an issue.

Thoughts are:
    Access to the rear - I didn't realise how often I slung something in the back behind the bulkhead.
    Visibility - you don't gain much more over a rear mounted spare
    Access to tailgate - much better with a soft-top.
    Clean spare should it ever be required
    Length - takes up a little less space so I can access shelves at the back of my garage and I can judge the length more easily when parking - and I think the proportions look better.
    Smell of rubber - I'm a fan. A new tyre might be quite whiffy!

You could of course keep both solutions, I was thinking about leaving the mantec brakets in place and removing the wheel and arms, but decided against it in the end as I knew either/or was more indecision than a solution

Weight distribution doesn't really make a difference for me - the spare sits in line with the leading edge of the rear wheel arch and adds the majority of its mass to the rear axle without the inertia (which might make some marginal benefit to regular road handling but I haven't noticed).

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Youtube greenlaning and other LR related content
Post #824278 9th Apr 2020 2:23pm
CarMan

United Kingdom 
I think that’s where mine is going when I can get hold of the necessary bracketry Thumbs Up Rob

1993 200tdi 90 hard-top
1998 300tdi 90 soft-top
2016 2.2 XS 90 hard-top
Post #824285 9th Apr 2020 3:04pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
@widget, that’s a nice 90!

When i was doing lots of ‘off the roading’ in previous trucks, I lay my spare on the floor and strapped it down, improving weight distribution and you could tell.

I thought about Widget’s solution in the v8, but I felt it stops the convenience of reaching in the back from the seats etc.

With BFG’s I have the confidence to run around without a spare at times, I remove the swingaway except the brackets to the body. If i travel some distance though, over to Wales for eg, I’ll pop it back on.
Post #824300 9th Apr 2020 4:18pm
CarMan

United Kingdom 
It is indeed a lovely truck Cool

Good point about reaching into the back

Now Confused again Rolling Eyes
Post #824310 9th Apr 2020 4:39pm
Tommo

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Mine is inside attached to the bulkhead (used rear wheel bracket to fix to bulkhead) and benefit from less stress on rear door and also easier to hitch trailer up Thumbs Up
Post #824316 9th Apr 2020 4:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>