↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > BT email problem - help required
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

BT email problem - help required
My 90 year old father is being driven demented by his BTinternet.Com email account. Even on the first try of the day he gets a message that says that he has “tried to log in too many times and his account is temporarily blocked, try again in 15 minutes”
I have tried and tried for him and it’s nearly driving me demented. Online searches don’t seem to help either. Oddly I tried to access the account from my iPad and got straight in, no problem. Now I’m an Apple person these days and he has Windows 10 on his lap top, I use Windows 2000 and XP at work but things have moved on a bit and I cannot find all the useful MS things like how to defrag and how to clear history etc in Windows 10 - I thought I would try to clear his cache incase browsing history was causing the problem but how do I find the cache/cookies folders these days in MS OS? Would that help? Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #814642 11th Feb 2020 6:16pm
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
I've had the same problem today after BT contacted me (and yes, it was BT...) to say there had been suspicious activity on my account.

I'd been hacked, and I think the 'too many attempts' were made by the hacker trying to get back in after I'd changed all the passwords.

They must have finally given up as I'm back in now.

I'd start by changing his password.

My 'O' level in computing is from 1980 though, so other more informed opinions may be posted shortly!
Post #814644 11th Feb 2020 6:56pm
Tim in Scotland

I changed the password - it was the first thing I did! Looking at the BT Communities Forums the issue has been going on for a long time too - posts back to 2015. You are better qualified than me - when I left school In 1974 there weren’t any computers. And pocket calculators were anything but pocket sized! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #814650 11th Feb 2020 7:30pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Is he using web based email or a dedicated mail application like Outlook or something similar?

If web based, you could try using a different browser to see if that helps.
I had issues with my plusnet web mail using Microsoft Edge browser, but it works fine using Google Chrome browser.

If Outlook or the like, then you could try deleting his user account and adding again. Archive any emails 1st though as they could get deleted when you wipe the account.

How to clear the browser cache depends on which browser he is using.
If you let me know which browser, I can try to find the menu path to enable you to reset cache/cookies, etc.
Post #814706 12th Feb 2020 11:04am
Tim in Scotland

Thanks, He’s using the web based version although there is a shortcut to Outlook on the bottom tool bar that gives the same result. He’s using Internet Explorer as his browser but has Google Chrome and Firefox but chopping and changing get him a bit confused unfortunately. Until recently he was brilliant with computers - he started in the 1970’s with a Commodore 8032 and I suspect is the only person ever who read all the manuals before he even flashed it up! He even used to teach over 60’s how to use MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint at evening classes at the local school but age is catching up fast I’m afraid , even remembering passwords is getting to be a problem - even trying to get him to use a password vault is hard work! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #814710 12th Feb 2020 11:48am
lohr500

I would try using Chrome if you can talk him through it, even if just to see if it is an issue with the Internet Explorer / Outlook account details.

But before trying Chrome, clear all the browsing history/cache, etc in Chrome.

To do this, from a Chrome browser page :

Click on the three vertical dots near the top right of the screen
Select Settings. A new Tab called settings should open.
From the Settings Tab, click on Advanced (menu on the left)
Then choose Privacy & Security
Then choose Clear Browsing Data.
Then select Advanced
Then make sure all the options are selected, including the "Passwords and other sign in data", and hit the Clear Data button.

Then try loading the BT webmail page and see if he can login.

I'm afraid that's the extent of my knowledge, so if the above doesn't work, then I'm not sure what else to try !!!

If it does work, then at least you know the issue is related to the Internet Explorer/Outlook side of things.
Post #814715 12th Feb 2020 12:12pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Tim if you want to do remote access to help him/view what he's doing then I can highly recommend www.anydesk.com  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #814717 12th Feb 2020 12:21pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

Thanks guys, all fixed now and with options to use via Firefox/google chrome as well as the email client from Microsoft now logs in as well now I figured out how to get into the settings. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #814963 13th Feb 2020 4:57pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello Tim in Scotland

Interestingly... I had what sounds like the same issues with my mother... of a 'similar age'.

Originally an old school set up, life long BT customer, somehow BT E-mail for her is accessed
through Yahoo... absolute Censored nightmare, also incoming photos are restricted to thumbnails
and generally visually the E-mail was a riot of unwanted stuff.... (I hated it).

So with a new iPad I set her up again this time with Gmail and so far so good, she is now a Gmail
WhatsApp, Skype, warrior... what have I done Shocked

There's always the redirection back to iPlayer, and Netflix Wink SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #814976 13th Feb 2020 5:40pm
Tim in Scotland

Thanks, in case I still had problems this afternoon while I was using the tips on here I had my iPad Pro 12.9” with me........
While I was dabbling in Dad’s laptop I happened to notice he was interested in the iPad, everything was so simple got into his email account through Safari loved that I could magnify webpages and “the screen is so bright compared to my laptop” (my iPad had the hi-res screen. Everything was great until I mentioned the price of one like mine! He wouldn’t need the version I have as I have the biggest memory and wireless internet as well as WiFi on mine, even so when I went to the Apple Store to price a lower spec version Crying or Very sad too expensive! Looks like I’ll have look out for a cheaper tablet now for him though. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #814983 13th Feb 2020 6:10pm
lohr500

Its worth looking for an iPad on the official Apple refurbished pages Tim. Sometimes there are good savings to be had and the iPad Airs I've bought from there for the kids have been like brand new. They carry the same 12 month warranty as new.
Post #814998 13th Feb 2020 7:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1