Home > Off Topic > How best to get a mobile phone
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Landymatt

United Kingdom 
How best to get a mobile phone
Hi folks,
I’ve had a company phone for 10 years and no personal mobile. I’m moving jobs soon and am planning to just have a personal mobile but expense the bills.
I have my PAC code so can switch when I have a new provider.
I think I know what phone I want (Galaxy Note 10) but need to decide what plan - I’ve asked current work provider how much data I’ve been using.
QUESTION:
Easiest to just buy online, or do you good folks still tend to go into shops to discuss, get physically handed a phone etc? Interested in recent experiences of both,
Cheers,
Matt
Post #816116 20th Feb 2020 10:03am
Mash

Guernsey 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
I bought a phone outright from one of the phone shops after seeing who was offering it cheapest, then did a separate sim only contract. Just makes it easier if the phone goes tech I can go to a shop and argue rather than faff over a phone call and sending it back. 90 wolf - Jasmin http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39408.html
90 V8 - Maggie http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic42564.html
110 TD5 - Buggsy http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59029.html
52HG25 lightweight https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72342.html
D3 Hse - Fiona
Capri 2l S - Anna

Think I might have a problem............
Post #816118 20th Feb 2020 10:13am
Tim in Scotland

I’ve just retired and have been looking at changing service providers away from the expensive O2 Small Business account that I have been using for some 20 years. I had to pay for everything myself as it is a private phone so I’ve been looking around in the last week and a lot of people I have asked have recommended Smarty which is a monthly fee of £10 for 30gb Dara, unlimited phone and text with no contracts. Have a read here https://smarty.co.uk/ They also have other contract free SIMs like uncapped data, calls and texting for £20pm. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #816119 20th Feb 2020 10:19am
jeffersj

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Bronze Green
giffgaff using O2 offer similar SIM only and bundles from £5 a month and are proactive in advising you if you are not using the correct bundle or would be better off without a bundle. Jeff
Ex 1968 Series 2A
Ex 90 TD5
Ex D3
Ex D4
Post #816120 20th Feb 2020 10:38am
gtmotorsport

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Zermatt Silver
A lot of the network providers are splitting the phone and sim to separate components, hence the sim plan can be changed subject to terms to suit and then you just pay the duration of the phone.
I'm personally with Sky, who utilize the O2 network and have some fantastic deals. The added bonus I ind with Sky is that un-used data is rolled over into a piggy bank which can be used on month your running low or traded fro money off against new phones and accessories. Something I did when getting my latest phone.
Post #816126 20th Feb 2020 10:56am
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Ditto on Sky, best phone provider I have had to date. The data rollover is very handy too.

I got a thing through the door offering a SIM only plan for £10/month with 10Gb of data too which seems a good deal!

I would personally just buy online, the hassle of having to be offered endless add-ons/accessories/insurance instore (where everyone gets commission for sales) is just more hassle. Order online and you will get the phone within a day or so anyway.

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale
Post #816128 20th Feb 2020 11:44am
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
I think purchasing a phone outright is a better way to go.

I use Giffgaff for mobile phone coverage, unlimited calls and texts and 12gb data at £10 a month.

Simply, no faffing contracts either.
Post #816131 20th Feb 2020 12:18pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
i purchase my phones outright and then vodafone best sim only deal to suit my needs. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #816134 20th Feb 2020 12:35pm
rustandoil

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
Ive bought my last couple of phones outright Argos usually have good prices Very Happy
Post #816138 20th Feb 2020 1:05pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I bought two iPhone 7's outright online from Apple when they first came out, one for me and one for the woman who tries to kerb my hobbies. We then have contracts with Vodafone.

The phones have performed perfectly for the last four years although a few weeks ago I took my phone to Apple for a new battery. They managed to damage the battery carrier when they tried to replace it. They apologised most profusely and told me that a brand new phone would be with me the following lunchtime - and it was.

Outright purchase has certainly paid off for me over the last four years. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #816142 20th Feb 2020 1:40pm
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
I used to have a phone on a contract but now I just buy a phone (usually from Amazon) and go for a Sim-only contract.

You can end up paying a stupid amount for the phone over several years.

If you're paying more than a tenner for a Sim with lots of internet and unlimited texts and minutes, you're being ripped off.

And as for a phone, before you cough up for a posh Samsung, have a look at a Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro. You've probably never heard of them, but look at the spec compared to a top of the range Samsung (and who makes the screens, cameras and chips - yep, they're identical), and then the prices, and China wins in every respect.

Every time I use my Xiaomi, I can't get over how brilliant it is. And how fast. Just make sure it's a UK market one though.
Post #816180 20th Feb 2020 7:18pm
Landymatt

United Kingdom 
Top tips folks, appreciated.
Post #816231 20th Feb 2020 11:44pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I'm on Sky sim only. If I upgrade it'd likely be contract unless there is your own financing option.
Some companies fees PCM are frankly ludicrous - Again I would go for Sky if I did go for a contract too. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #816235 21st Feb 2020 12:25am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
I'm old and like to have the item in my hand to check out before the purchase. My current phone is from Virgin, the shop were not interested in my being Virgin customer for TV and Internet and wanted silly money, arrived home checked web site price still a bit high so rang the sales and discussed it with them, they wouldn't budge on the price until I mentioned going to another company and all of sudden offered £75 off and halved the price of the sim. Thumbs Up Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #816273 21st Feb 2020 10:09am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1