↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Freewheeling , how much ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
Bluericky

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
I thought I’d touch base as a thread without an ending can be very frustrating .
Highlanes garage had the defender for 6 weeks , it was a bit of a nightmare and involved constant chasing to get answers out of them . Apparently they swapped out the drivetrain with their own 110 to try and eliminate the problem , I have my suspicions that they didn’t as various nuts and bolts were still covered in mud from the farm and clearly hadn’t seen a spanner for weeks ! According to them it made no difference.
Anyway it came back apparently fixed , a clicking rear brake had also had a new calliper fitted, they put the vibrations down to this . After a 100 mile round trip the symptoms all reappeared as did the clicking brake pads.

Two days ago I overhauled the rear corner in question, eliminating new pads, disc and calliper. Replaced hub and stub axle instead, with new bearings and clicking has stopped again ... phew

Vibrations/reverberating are still present however and the smell of something hot is evident , particularly after booting it up a long hill .
Sump is pretty hot to touch after, as I would expect, gearbox though is very hot and I can’t hold my hand on it for anymore than 3-4 seconds ( I don’t have asbestos hands).
Brakes discs on all 4 are very hot even having purposely not used them for a mile , wheels are not though , probably normal.
Also quite a bit of resistance from steering wheel when try to turn whilst accelerating !
Plus on hard lock in either direction and at slow speeds I get a tiny bit of brake squeal

Tell me if I’m off track but does this sound like a brake master cylinder ? https://www.instagram.com/hustynminepark/
Post #828294 28th Apr 2020 7:05pm
L110CDL

England 
Thanks for the update, sadly the problem has not been found, very frustrating for you, you will find it in the end and i can't help you with you if it's the brake master cylinder Sad

I think that if your suspicions with your indy are right, i think i would be changing indy Rolling Eyes 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #828347 28th Apr 2020 9:35pm
Bluericky

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
Ha ha , thanks Clayton

I know that they're a popular indy but I have a feeling that most of their work is fairly straightforward . This was just a bit too much bother for them and they thought they could get away with a quick fix , how wrong they were !

Well if anyone knows about master cylinder failure symptoms I'd love to know more? https://www.instagram.com/hustynminepark/
Post #828352 28th Apr 2020 9:41pm
L110CDL

England 
Yep sounds like they don't like to think outside the box Rolling Eyes

Hope you get an answer to your question Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #828361 28th Apr 2020 10:02pm
Dobby

If your master cylinder is failing you’ll have a much heavier brake pedal over times

Have you tried strapping a GoPro to the underneath in various different location to see if you isolate the sound on video as you drive?
Post #829444 5th May 2020 10:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234