Home > In Car Electronics > Help needed- central locking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
itolond

Singapore 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alpine White
Help needed- central locking
Scenario:

older Def with aftermarket central locking fitted. Just replaced all the doors and opted for the new puma doors complete with factory central locking actuators. looking to correct the wiring to get me up and operational.

Situation:

1. The 'common to all' actuator wires is orange and pink - my aftermarket unit has blue and green (which is pretty common I hear) - any ideas how to hook-up or check (lock and unlock)

2. The master on the factory is a 4 wire setup with orange and pink as above plus an additional black (assume earth) and Yellow/pink trace. whereas the aftermarket is 5 wire setup (Blue/Green/Black/White/Brown) any pointers on this at all?

Click image to enlarge
Post #809123 7th Jan 2020 12:08am
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
1. Puma's alarm ECU connects orange and pink to 12V/ground or ground/12V to lock or unlock - I just don't know which way round. I guess you could just try with one door.
Personally I would first measure voltages between blue and green while activating lock and unlock, just to make sure.

2. There's only one switch in the Puma driver's door to signal the alarm ECU to lock/unlock if you push/pull the door knob on the inside. So two wires yellow+pink to ECU and black to ground are sufficient here. Again I don't know if the Puma switch is open or closed when the button is up. But you can easily measure resistance with a multimeter.

Your aftermarket module seems to have one switch to lock and another one to unlock. I would expect the control module to lock if either brown or white is connected to black. Questions: locks when open or when closed (I expect on switch closed)? momentary or permanent (there are similar systems where you can connect a momentary on-on rocker switch for the dash)? Again I'd just try or measure your existing actuator module.

Anyway, as your system seems to need two switches and the Puma door has only one, for safety I would not connect the driver's door switch at all (if your control module will work anyway). It's bad if you could only lock the doors from the inside but can't unlock them again in an emergency, where you don't want to fumble with the remote.
Instead I would put an on-on switch in the dash where you can easily reach it.
Post #809338 8th Jan 2020 1:14pm
itolond

Singapore 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alpine White
Appreciated- Yes agreed, after fumbling about it looks like a square peg in a round hole- best bet is momentary rocker switch to ground which hooks directly into the controller.
Post #809444 8th Jan 2020 10:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1