↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Has anyone tried the LOF Single Mass Flywheel?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mini Landie

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Belize Green
Has anyone tried the LOF Single Mass Flywheel?
My ~100k miles D90 TD5 has been diagnosed as needing a new clutch and flywheel. I’d like to keep the costs down where possible, but not where I would be far worse off going cheaper.

I’m settled on buying the gear from LOF, but I’m wondering if it’s really worth getting the DMF over the SMF.

They have a page dedicated to the question - https://lofclutches.com/does-a-solid-mass-...-and-cons/ - and in there they say:

“What are the Drawbacks to fitting a solid mass flywheel kit? None! The only thing we have concluded is that it is not strictly original, but other than that we see no reason not to fit one!”

That could well be standard sales blurb but I know LOF has a good reputation, hence me window shopping there.

I’ve done a search and there’s a gentleman or lady on here that said he’d had one fitted the day before he posted, and they seemed happy but a review after one day isn’t a great review to go by.

I’m just wondering what people’s thoughts are before I plonk down the cash.

Last edited by Mini Landie on 21st Dec 2019 2:31pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #807151 21st Dec 2019 1:14pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
My advice would be to get in touch with Luke @ LOF. Tell him about your 90 and how you use it and he will give honest advice. He is one of the good guys and doesn't oversell. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #807152 21st Dec 2019 1:30pm
Mini Landie

Perhaps I’ll get in touch with him. I’m just curious about long-term reviews.
Post #807162 21st Dec 2019 3:24pm
Mini Landie

Well after more and more research, checking out other forums and the limited amount of videos on YouTube, I decided to go for the POWERSpec bundle (everything required) and messaged Luke on Facebook to ask him about the PowerSLAVE availability. Sadly they're going to be arriving later than anticipated so suggested I buy the kit now and he'll give me free delivery when the stock arrives. He even gave me a discount code to use!

He did say to run the clutch for a few miles first as I may not need the POWERSlave, so I'm going to do just that.

Not to sound like a broken record, but he was a nice guy to talk to and even messages his potential customers outside of business hours. The service so far is top notch. Thumbs Up
Post #807224 22nd Dec 2019 1:27pm
thefender

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Barolo Black
Solid flywheel every time for me - DMF's cause more trouble than good, and if it ever needs another clutch, you only change the clutch - No more flywheel change.
If you sell it, make sure you advise new owner of what kit was installed for future clutch changes as the non dmf clutches are different
Post #807233 22nd Dec 2019 5:12pm
ibexman

United Kingdom 
What’s it like to drive any vibrations
Post #807262 22nd Dec 2019 8:54pm
Mini Landie

Well I went for a drive today after not having driven it for a week or two, and the clutch behaved itself pretty much the whole time. Once or twice I had trouble getting into gear, but a stronger throw helped get it in.

Overall, a fairly successful drive today... which is quite annoying.

I don’t recall ever having any vibrations, but I would get kangarooing when the vehicle had warmed up. I’d also have fun trying to get it into gear after work around 5pm-ish but going in fine when I leave for work around 7am-ish... although this was never the case all the time.
Post #807264 22nd Dec 2019 9:04pm
Emptywallet

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
I fitted one to my 110 TD5 earlier this year. Have done around 3000 miles and very very happy with it. No noticeable increase in noise or vibration. I run a stage 2 Storm map and the roadspec clutch and SMF handle the extra torque easily.

Best decision I made to be honest.
Post #807932 29th Dec 2019 10:23am
Mini Landie

That’s great to hear! I intend to go Storm Tuning Stage 2 as well, so I’m glad to see it copes with it well!

One thing I’m looking forward to when it’s fitted is the bedding in procedure... a nice excuse for a good ol’ drive.
Post #807934 29th Dec 2019 10:29am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1