↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Rear x member replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Jeebs

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Barolo Black
Rear x member replacement
Sadly took my 90 to Flatdog in Gainsborough to get the chassis rust treated and under sealed with dinitrol and found out the rear x member has seen better days.

Chap at Flatdog said they had got it up on the ramp started to wash and strip off the old chassis wax and uncovered the rot to the x member.

His recommendation was a replacement x member.

Now, I love my 90 and want to keep it on the road for as long as I can/until I trade up into a newer 90.

So I have already had the work priced up by a pal who is used to dealing with public services defenders.

My gut feeling is to try and get a galv chassis fitted for as little as I can, but I know that this won’t be cheap, and my mate isn’t keen on taking on that work.

I have always felt that defenders that have had excessive welding/replacement x members are past it and that these sorts of work hurt the value of the vehicle, even if it’s a great job. I have always discounted them when looking at LRs.

Is there any truth in my thoughts?

Any advice on how to proceed?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #802716 18th Nov 2019 6:33pm
donmacn

Tricky one.

Speaking for myself, I tend to go along with your own view of not wanting to contend with 'rusty' things. You can be sure that if it's rusty there, it'll be rusty somewhere else - and if it isn't now, it will be soon!

But, that said, getting the chassis done is a big job. If you've any thoughts of replacing the car in the next 3 or 4 years, then I'd reckon doing the crossmember is the thing to do. Obviousy the part is available, so lots of folk must do it, and done properly it would last for a while.

If any part of you thinks you'll be keeping the Landy for the next 10 years ( or any longer period) then the chassis swap would come back into contention I reckon. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #802719 18th Nov 2019 6:47pm
Jeebs

Thankfully, the rest of the chassis is in good order with minimal rust, it seems to be just the rear x-member that has suffered.

Is there any truth in my thoughts that x-member replacement hurts values?
Post #802779 19th Nov 2019 11:37am
donmacn

Hi,

To be honest, I don't think I know enough about current values/the market to answer that question. I HATE buying and selling cars - just one of the reasons I'm still driving my 110 after 18 years!

If I was buying another Defender, and with a view to a 'project', I might be quite happy to buy one needing work, and budget for a chassis and/or bulkhead myself. I'd be expecting to put it straight off the road. But if I was buying one to use for any length of time, then having a repaired rear crossmember (as long as it was done well/properly) would be a positive thing - but that might be just my opinion.

However, if the crossmember needs done, then surely the question of value is redundant? Without it done, it's worth less, or harder to sell? Though that might depend on how original/good condition the rest of the car is.

I think there is this view about a Defender's "originality" pushing values up, but as I say I don't know enough about that aspect of the market.

As I said above though, I think it depends more on your plans for the car. If it's a short/medium term thing, then don't consider a chassis swap. You might get some of the investment back, but not all.

Selling it without the crossmember fix, then I think you're looking for the "right" buyer to come along, and possibly restricting your options.

Sorry! Having said I didn't know enough about it, I've wasted three or four paragraphs demonstrating how little I know! Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #802780 19th Nov 2019 12:04pm
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Jeebs wrote:

I have always felt that defenders that have had excessive welding/replacement x members are past it and that these sorts of work hurt the value of the vehicle, even if it’s a great job. I have always discounted them when looking at LRs.

I do understand where you're coming from, but I don't think it's the case so much on a Defender. Remember yours (1995?) is 25 years old and a rear cross member is to be expected. Rear cross members are common and replacement is not an expensive job, both parts and labour.

Structural welding on a conventional monocoque vehicle perhaps yes might concern me.

Galv chassis would be lovely! But time, cost and inconvenience... At the end of the day only you can weigh up the options and see what you can afford, both in terms of time and cost. But to keep you mobile with minimum impact I would not be worried about a replacement cross member > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #802781 19th Nov 2019 12:24pm
Slideywindows

England 
There are hundreds (thousands?) of Land Rovers of all ages that are carrying on for years with replacement rear crossmembers.

(If you are worried about value, make sure you fit an exact replica of the original for that year, and not a generic one).

As a very long-term Land Rover rivet-counter, I would say that whilst a totally original chassis may fetch a premium on older Land Rovers, it is generally recognised that if you actually use a Land Rover, things will rust, and especially rear crossmembers.

A well-executed replacement may slightly devalue a vehicle, but not nearly so much as having a rotten one!

After replacing the crossmember you will still have a 90% genuine factory-fitted chassis, which you say is still in good condition (I hope you have filled it with preservative fluid).

If you fit a replacement, you won't.

However, different buyers look for different things.

I suspect that a good service history, a vehicle that looks like it has been well cared for throughout its life and a corrosion-free chassis and bulkhead will be the more important things.

My advice?

Don't fret about the crossmember, replace it.
Post #802784 19th Nov 2019 1:01pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
I don't think it's a big deal to replace a crossmember. When I bought mine one of the first jobs was a new crossmember. The vehicle had done 180k, lots of towing, lots of motorway miles but very little proper off roading. As it hasn't regularly been up to it's body in mud, the chassis is still in very good condition.
Post #802794 19th Nov 2019 1:51pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
No idea about values but if buying I would prefer a Defender with a professionally fitted replacement crossmember over a rusty original. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #802815 19th Nov 2019 4:05pm
foxhound

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alpine White
Cross members need replacing too often, they are designed to hold the dirt!

I needed a new cross member and some repairs on my 110 chassis and compared to 2 Berkshire quotes, it was only £1200 more to go to Richards, buy a galv chassis and then ask Paul Marsden who is 50 yards from Richards to do the swap (you need to book in in advance, it's a 2 week turnaround).

The decision was a no brainer! 110 Defender 300tdi & Penman trailer with ally exped top and roof tent
Post #803487 25th Nov 2019 12:29pm
Jeebs

I have been considering just biting the bullet and sticking it on a galv chassis. Just getting quotes together
Post #803490 25th Nov 2019 12:38pm
Oldowner

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Aintree Green
That chassis has prior bodgerey around the rear crossmember - it has already been patched on the underside.

My opinion is (and I have welded up many defenders over the years) is a properly replaced bare cross member is fine, but one you have to start using “crossmember with extentions” (which that chassis needs) then forget it and replace the chassis.

I will add I have never seen anyone replace the bare crossmember as it is far easier to bang on one with extentions if it is a paid job as it takes 1/3 of the time it would doing it properly. I used to cut off the crossmember, repair any small repairs to the chassis legs and then fit the new crossmember, welding it as original. I even managed to get a supply of the upper closing plates that are not available to purchase separately from crossmember manufacturer. Done properly it is indistinguishable from new.

Come to think of it perhaps in this age of early defender restorations perhaps I should start doing it again!
Post #803494 25th Nov 2019 2:14pm
Jeebs

Next question, Richards or XD Chassis?
Post #803526 25th Nov 2019 7:24pm
Oldowner

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Aintree Green
I currently own four defenders with Richards chassis under them, I fitted three of them and one I bought done already. The quality and fit improved a lot since the first one I had 15 years ago.
Post #803564 26th Nov 2019 12:17am
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Whilst if budgets allowed I'd be tempted to go galved chassis I feel obliged to say that any decent fabricator would be able to replace that cross member.

Mine ended up taking a Hi Lift through it and needed replacing. Didn't have the time or space to do a chassis swap so opted for a custom rear cross member built up to my spec. Open c section out of 6mm with another 6mm between the rails for the tow bracket.

Spoke to an acquaintence who runs a trailer fabrication company and 2 days later (only a day labour actually involved) the old one had been cut off, new one fabricated and okayed by me, and then welded on. Was around £500 all in, over half was the time involved in cutting the old one out carefully. £22 in materials...

Note I dropped the tank out but deliberately left everything else attached for them to take measurements. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #803569 26th Nov 2019 12:56am
Mash

Guernsey 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
I used a Dixon fabrication 6mm HD rear crossmember, it comes with pre cut plates for trimming to your needs on fitting of the crossmember, excellent product and great service from them. I think it was around £250 ish delivered and me and my mate had it fully done including wire wheeling and repainting of the chassis in a day.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I would of loved to put a galv chassis on Buggsy but time and money constraints meant a crossmember was the only choice. 90 wolf - Jasmin http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39408.html
90 V8 - Maggie http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic42564.html
110 TD5 - Buggsy http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59029.html
52HG25 lightweight https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72342.html
D3 Hse - Fiona
Capri 2l S - Anna

Think I might have a problem............
Post #803741 26th Nov 2019 11:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>