↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Original factory head unit advise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Peregrine_White

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
Original factory head unit advise
I currently have an 07 defender with the base spec factory stereo part number LR006192. I don't want to change the head unit but wanted to upgrade the speakers to audition component speakers with passive cross over. has anyone done anything similar and is this possible.
Post #802392 15th Nov 2019 10:17pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Yes, what you're proposing is possible, however I don't think it's worthwhile due to the power output and sound quality of the non-Alpine factory fit units.
Otherwise the factory wouldn't have offered the Alpine BT133 as an optional upgrade.
Changing the head unit will then give you a good starting point for adding component speakers.

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic67805.html
Post #802652 18th Nov 2019 1:47am
Peregrine_White

Thanks for the reply and advise. I eventually plan on upgrading the head unit to the land rover works v8 one. Although at around £1000 is out of my price range at the minute therefore wanted to do it in stages. However from your advice i may consider just waiting until I can afford to get the head unit and speakers together.
Post #802805 19th Nov 2019 2:54pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
If budget a worry, why not buy a good quality aftermarket headunit that will cost you 1/10 the price of the land rover after market one, at worst - sound the same, and probably have more functionality in it for android/iphone? You'd have it sooner and the rest of the budget that would have gone on the headunit could go on an undercubby sub, a new set of rear speakers, a new cubby box and riser box from mudstuff (others are available)...... and still have change for a set of driving lamps and a cruise control system! Whistle Whistle Whistle

Just my tuppence. Very Happy
Post #802813 19th Nov 2019 4:02pm
Peregrine_White

Completely see your point matt and its the most superficial response in that i simply prefer the look of the stupidly overpriced land rover one. I like to keep my interior looking as OEM and clean as possible without all the flashing gizmos of most the aftermarket ones! I also have no plans on selling my 90! however after consideration from what you have both said I may buy a Cheeper aftermarket unit in the interim with component speakers then swap for the works one when budget allows.
Post #802819 19th Nov 2019 4:15pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
.............completely understand.

JOE_130 and I bought bumpers from Equipe. In the process spending twice as much as we needed to, for absolutely no benefit other than we really liked the look of them. I even spent 9 months negotiating with the owner to get him to actually make some of the 8274 winch versions, again to no real benefit.

..........but they look so pretty!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

edit: i also really dislike my aftermarket headunit for exactly that reason. It looks like someone threw LED's at it till none would fit any more. Sounds alright though Smile
Post #802822 19th Nov 2019 4:23pm
PCM

United Kingdom 
I went for my unit simply as it has not a single led or blinky light insight.

Click image to enlarge
Post #802866 19th Nov 2019 8:16pm
Peregrine_White

funny enough I did look into doing a double din conversion However I came to the conclusion for me that I personally don't have the need for a reversing camera and therefore no advantage over a single din. I do however like your set up, nice and plain [In a good way] and subtle touch of the land rover logo in the background is a classy addition.
Post #802893 19th Nov 2019 11:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1