↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Standard audio upgrade
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tribord

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Zermatt Silver
Standard audio upgrade
It is time to upgrade the awful sounding standard audio. I do not want to replace the standard head unit because I don't like all the flashing lights and buttons that seem to be on all the aftermarket units. I like the simple and basic look of the Land Rover branded unit. But how important is the head unit for sound quality? It will be used to play music from the iPhone only (connected via audio in cable or Bluetooth adapter). Is it ok quality with new speakers and/or sub? Should I start with either speakers, or an active sub, or do I need to buy both for a noticeable difference?

I can buy a focal ibus20 for €140 or a 2.1 for €170 which I can see from a search that others have used. I am not sure if it comes with cables long enough to reach under the rear seats (110 DC 2.4)? I don't want to mount on back of cubby box.

Any advice appreciated!
Post #775455 29th May 2019 7:12pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
In the Hi-Fi world there is a saying, "if you start with a bad signal, you'll never turn it into a good one"
Start with the best sound possible from the head unit to get a good end result.

The Landrover unit also doesn't have amplifier pre outs, not ideal for adding on amplifiers.
The Alpine unit fitted as the factory upgrade, while not perfect, does have 1 pair of pre outs and a reasonable power output from the internal amp.
3 pairs of pre outs would be better if upgrading the head unit, to give more scope for further system upgrades.

In your position, the head unit would be the first thing I'd replace.
Post #775629 30th May 2019 8:51pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
You could always add an in-line mini amp even to the factory radio. The RMT fit Amps is an issue though unless you wanted to manually switch it or via ignition always on.

Some aftermarket HU’s do also have an increased output but you have to specifically look for one.

As mentioned, no RCA output or RMT is a big pain amongst others. Better to look into an aftermarket make. Even the relatively cheap ones are pretty good considering. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #775636 30th May 2019 9:23pm
Tribord

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Zermatt Silver
Ah, I didn't know I couldn't connect an active sub to my unit. So looks like replacing it is necessary. I may look for a second hand Becker unit made for Porsche or Mercedes - Some are similar to the LR unit in looks, and there are plenty on eBay. I will just need to make sure they have the outputs.

I suppose the other route could be to ignore the head unit completely and get a standalone Bluetooth box with connections for speakers and active sub, and use the iPhone as the interface. Everything I would use is on that anyway - Spotify, radio, Satnav/maps. Hmm, need to think about it some more...
Post #775657 31st May 2019 6:40am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
I just replaced my head unit
bought last year (only just got around to fitting) from Caterham
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic63256.html?highlight=sony
It was "plug and play"

Sound is much improved, plus I added a Nakatenanga aerial from Brendan, and get a much better signal (very impressed with the Naka aerial - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic65245...t=aerial). I always use the fader to put a little more to the rear speakers in my 110 which also helps.

Has the added advantage that I have downloaded loads of my itunes onto a USB stick, so now have tons of music in the car if I don't want to listen to the radio. Thanks to loads of soundproofing I can even hear it at 65mph Laughing

Cracking upgrade for minimal cash, and only took an hour to fit (incl fitting the aerial).

Very happy bunny Thumbs Up Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #775664 31st May 2019 7:55am
CarMan

United Kingdom 
Can a dinosaur please ask a dumb question - I have copied some iTunes songs to a USB but the my Alpine CDE-133BT head unit says 'no file' and when I remove the USB it says 'no device'.

I'm guessing it can see the USB, but the files are in the wrong format.

The songs are all from cd not bought on-line, if that makes a difference.

So, what do I need to do differently?

Question Rob

1993 200tdi 90 hard-top
1998 300tdi 90 soft-top
2016 2.2 XS 90 hard-top
Post #802846 19th Nov 2019 6:19pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Hi,
I had the same problem with Apple (AAC) files copied onto a stick, the Alpine would not recognise them.
I now save any converted CDs in MP3 format, this works fine when playing from a stick.

In i-tunes you can convert the apple files to MP3 without having to do it from the CD.
This results in 2 versions iof the track/album in i-tunes. If synched, both end up on the iPod which is annoying, so I now manually manage updates, just adding 1 version. Either one will play on the IPod.

Hope that helps point you in the right direction.
Post #802849 19th Nov 2019 6:42pm
CarMan

United Kingdom 
That's a great help, thanks very much Thumbs Up
Post #802907 20th Nov 2019 7:12am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
may be it's just me but back in the 80's I loved the Blaupunkt car audio kit and I've just spotted this;

https://www.blaupunkt.com/en/nc/products/c...gle/19059/
Post #819670 14th Mar 2020 9:28pm
SteveK

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Rimini Red
I agree with DSC-off, the standard units are not very good and you need to start with a good signal/playback.

Some modern units have options to change or dim the displays, however if you wish to keep the interior appearance original, you could try: https://www.classiccarstereo.co.uk/hidden-audio/
Post #819686 14th Mar 2020 10:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1