↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Tesla - Fell out of the ugly tree
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Setok

Finland 
Ads90 wrote:
Looking at the pics of it vs an F150, it looks slightly bigger than the F150.
That makes it uncomfortably big for British minor roads - I would say a Ranger is as big as you want to go before driving lanes for anything other than commercial purposes is going to be awkward/embarrassing. You're not going to fit in a Tesco car park.
Same concern with the Bollinger & Rivian - no surprise as they are aiming at the NA F150 market.
I'm looking forward to Euro-sized derivatives.

I believe the Bollinger and Rivian are both shorter than the Cybertruck. The Bollinger is actually quite close to a Defender. In the presentation I remember it being shown to be roughly the same size as a F150. I agree that is too long to comfortably work for European markets. Elon hinted on Twitter that they might be looking into a shorter one a bit later. I'm still very seriously interested in it even in its current shape (I imagine a shorter one would only arrive much later). In Finland it would be slightly more manageable than in the UK.
Post #804111 29th Nov 2019 11:29pm
Setok

Finland 
familymad wrote:
Another deposit here.

Such a shame the Defender has been delivered on an antiquated platform that can’t handle a full BEV. Old before it was born.

I agree. The new Defender (which the world seems to have already forgotten about) is not really much of a trailblazer in that respect. I would have been so much happier if they had taken what was great about the old, but designed around a foundation for the next 40 years. Basically they could have done a Bollinger, but with a bit more manufacturing muscle.

The interesting thing about the Cybertruck is that despite it being a Tesla, electric and all (1980s) future-like, it's actually still presented as tough, straightforward, affordable (in EV terms) and utilitarian. Something you could get muddy and bash around. It seems even Tesla sees value in going down that path, and yet Land Rover seems to despise that, despite coming from there.
Post #804114 29th Nov 2019 11:37pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Setok wrote:
Ads90 wrote:
Looking at the pics of it vs an F150, it looks slightly bigger than the F150.
That makes it uncomfortably big for British minor roads - I would say a Ranger is as big as you want to go before driving lanes for anything other than commercial purposes is going to be awkward/embarrassing. You're not going to fit in a Tesco car park.
Same concern with the Bollinger & Rivian - no surprise as they are aiming at the NA F150 market.
I'm looking forward to Euro-sized derivatives.

I believe the Bollinger and Rivian are both shorter than the Cybertruck. The Bollinger is actually quite close to a Defender. In the presentation I remember it being shown to be roughly the same size as a F150. I agree that is too long to comfortably work for European markets. Elon hinted on Twitter that they might be looking into a shorter one a bit later. I'm still very seriously interested in it even in its current shape (I imagine a shorter one would only arrive much later). In Finland it would be slightly more manageable than in the UK.

The scale of it is more apparent when you see it driving next to a normal sized car:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5UMXRygdL0/?igshid=1ljq7a4hzcp75
Post #804130 30th Nov 2019 8:24am
Oakseywick

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
Saw this on Facebook made me laugh Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge
 Andy
Defender 90
Defender 110 XS
Cupra 290
Post #804579 3rd Dec 2019 1:04pm
Setok

Finland 
I put down a deposit. While it's only $100, I did with an earnest interest and a willingness to purchase, if the situation allows. The Cybertruck does pretty much the things I have been doing with a Defender (international roadtrips, towing stuff, carrying stuff, and daily things) at a price which is low for an EV. While the Pretender technically has better offroading capabilities, I don't see 'rough&tough' as something that is in its DNA, unlike the old Defender. It seems delicate and something where you would have to worry about any small bump. The Cybertruck, surprisingly enough for Tesla, looks like they specifically built it for some rough work. I say that as someone who has had basically no interest in previous Tesla vehicles (bar perhaps the first Roadster) as they always seemed utterly dull as vehicles. The price is the same as a Pretender, or even less, and is much more affordable to operate with it being an EV. A Bollinger would have been more suitable for my purposes, but it is priced at a level that doesn't interest me.

I do have some misgivings about the Cybertruck, which may turn into dealbreakers:
* The size. Specifically the length. It's well over 1m longer than a proper 110 Defender. This could be a bit of a handful to park, though possibly somewhat assisted by the Full Self Drive, if (and that's a big if) they get it working.
* Even more of a dealbreaker is how Tesla appears to track everything you do, even on a personalised level that Tesla employees can access. That is quite a major turnoff for me.
* I'm a little concerned about gimmicky gadgets, like cameras instead of mirrors. As well as how the range is affected by towing
Post #804614 3rd Dec 2019 5:43pm
Supacat

What about the width ~ whilst I have not seen actual sizes it looks like this may be a major issue for UK roads.
Post #804618 3rd Dec 2019 6:37pm
Setok

Finland 
It’s not that wide if I remember correctly. I mean pretty wide (around 2m) but not extraordinarily so. Vans tend to be wider.
Post #804620 3rd Dec 2019 6:53pm
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
Setok wrote:
The price is the same as a Pretender, or even less, and is much more affordable to operate with it being an EV. A Bollinger would have been more suitable for my purposes, but it is priced at a level that doesn't interest me.

Agree re. the price (if they achieve it) compared to the competition it is quite amazing for what you would get, even in basic trim/range.
But I can't help thinking Tesla will either a) bump up the price on release, or b) make a loss on them for the first year then increase with a Version 2.
If b) then you'll have done well!

I'm hoping the rumoured 'cheaper' Defender has a BEV option, or next Disco Sport or whatever, I mean it HAS to.
A real-world min. 200 mile range, towing capability & not too big & I'm interested.
Post #804702 4th Dec 2019 10:31am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
This is interesting.

Looks like Tesla is moving the Cyber Truck up from a medium truck to a heavy truck.

As such don't expect to see it here (UK) any time soon.

Post #806207 14th Dec 2019 7:02pm
Supacat

"Tesla Cybertruck Crosses 500,000+ Pre-Bookings In Just 90 Days"

By which, I think that means Tesla have got that many people to pay them $100 to register an interest in purchasing a vehicle.

https://fossbytes.com/500k-pre-bookings-fo...ee-months/
Post #816830 25th Feb 2020 8:19am
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
And looking forwards to getting one Thumbs Up 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #816831 25th Feb 2020 8:22am
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Cybertruck will be 82" wide. https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status...ensions%2F

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-cybertruck...imensions/

I think that's about 12cm wider than the Slovakian Defender. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #816854 25th Feb 2020 11:00am
Tim in Scotland

Cybertruck - too big even for the USA so what chance on narrow European roads and and even narrower UK streets!
It’s worth a watch
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #834236 30th May 2020 1:10pm
Supacat

Zed wrote:
Cybertruck will be 82" wide. https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status...ensions%2F

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-cybertruck...imensions/

I think that's about 12cm wider than the Slovakian Defender.

Saw with on a very recent video with Jay Leno and he's gone back to the 80" width ~ he was stating that all dimensions will be 5% smaller in the production vehicle.
Post #834338 31st May 2020 5:45am
Setok

Finland 
That video was recorded in January and unfortunately just a few days ago he mentioned on Twitter that even 3% was going to be too small (for what?) and that it will be pretty much the original size. Too bad, a tad smaller would make it easier in Europe.
Post #834350 31st May 2020 8:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>