↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > TD5 fitted with a DPF, remove and remap recommendations.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Smolyhoke

United Kingdom 
TD5 fitted with a DPF, remove and remap recommendations.
Hi all,

First post other than "hello" so please don't throw things if this is in the wrong place or covered somewhere else even though I've searched.

I bought a 2001 110 hard top a couple of months ago as a new Defender owner and it needed some minor works to make it usable after being more or less laid up by the last owner for 3 or 4 years. It's gently rusting from the back, forwards, but nothing too remarkable, prob a new crossmember to be sure and the back door taken apart, de-rusted and reinforced.

It has a DPF retro-fitted to pass the LEZ regs and after taking it away for a week and covering 7-800 miles, whilst it cruises pretty well, it does seem to be choking the engine power, which would make sense as it is effectively another baffle in the system.

Whilst it's wonderful that my emissions on the last MOT are Zero, I really want to get it off and let it shuffle off this mortal coil on ebay. Had advice from my local garage when I asked them to remove it when other bits were done and they said that when it was fitted it might have had the engine settings changed with a remap and wouldn't touch it. Seems to make sense to me, if this is the case, to get a removal, remap and power upgrade done at the same time.

What I'm looking for is if anyone here has any experience of having a vehicle where a DPF needed taking off and a recommedation of a place in Kent or not too far away that isn't just a rolling road but somewhere trustworthy that does the mechanical side as well as the tuning bit well.

Any help welcomed and hope I'm not asking too much in one go as a newbie!

Cheers
Post #798412 16th Oct 2019 4:01pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Interesting. May be wrong but a certified DPF on a TD5 is very expensive indeed

Its not likely the ECU would have been touched to allow for a DPF as TD5s never had them.

However could br worth giving Gareth at Empire a call (Colchester, Essex) or Gigglepin 4x4 (Sevenoaks). Used them both many times and both do a great service Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #798446 16th Oct 2019 10:25pm
Alextd5

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
It might have a tailored map, unlikely but unsure. Does the DPF have any pipes or wires coming off it?
Post #798448 16th Oct 2019 10:33pm
Smolyhoke

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, bankz, it was a LOT of money according to the lady I bought it from who used it as a business vehicle. Unfortunately she wasn't able to tell me any more about it other than it saved her £3k a year in fines/charges if I got that right. I'm no LEZ expert Embarassed I have the certification for it and to make it any use, would have to get it recertified each year at one of the inspection centres, which for me is just pointless.

Thanks for the recommendations, I did see Gigglepin on the web, would Empire be your first choice?

Yes, Alex, it has the full kit and kaboodle of a wiring loom integrated into the vehicle and a display with menus in the cab, proper commercial stuff and very expensive looking from a company called HJS (Abgas-Systeme Exhaust Systems)
Post #798454 16th Oct 2019 11:14pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Might be other Td5-related issues making it sluggish - e.g. stuck wastegate rod or dodgy MAF.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #798484 17th Oct 2019 9:33am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Smolyhoke

United Kingdom 
Yes, Martin, I don't doubt that these things need checking too after reading through many posts about slow TD5s and I'll get to them too.

I just think the fact it is putting out zero emissions must mean that there is a serious amount of back pressure from the exhaust to do that much filtering that the original build wasn't designed for. Long term, it gives me some concerns. Thankfully my TD5 only has done a few thousand miles since the DPF was fitted.

Also, back to your point, I wonder if the DPF would cause more sludge and back-up although I have no evidence right now, just chewing the cud on it.
Post #798506 17th Oct 2019 1:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1