↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > Fleet of cars shipped to Africa for Prince Harry and Meghanâ
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Fleet of cars shipped to Africa for Prince Harry and Meghanâ
Just a quick question ~ how much did this cost and who's budget did it come from?

Click image to enlarge

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fleet-o...-sxgj7sx65

"A fleet of cars has been shipped from Britain to South Africa for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s ten-day tour because Buckingham Palace could not get hold of enough secure vehicles.

The cars included five Land Rover Discoverys as police back-up vehicles as well as the couple’s Range Rover, which they use at home.

Palace sources said that the cars for the trip were offered by Jaguar Land Rover and were transported at no cost to the taxpayer. Members of the royal family almost always use cars provided locally — typically vehicles used by the British ambassador or high commissioner. Other cars in the convoy are usually local police vehicles."

Oh ~ please pass along my congratulations to Sir Ralph on the "upgrade" to his knighthood. đź‘Ź

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/knight-...-3rkrv6pfj

"Not many overseas businessmen get “substantive” (as opposed to honorary) knighthoods and fewer still from the motor industry. Sir Ralf Speth, the Bavarian who runs Jaguar Land Rover, recently had his honorary knighthood converted to a substantive one.

Surely unrelated is the fleet of Land Rovers flown over to South Africa at the company’s expense to smooth the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s latest foreign tour (and equally nothing to do with the replacement Land Rover sent to Sandringham last winter after the Duke of Edinburgh rolled his)."
Post #796716 4th Oct 2019 4:52pm
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
Good investment by JLR. It was the Queen's association with the brand that launched the success of the RR.
Post #796718 4th Oct 2019 4:55pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Please say you have some facts to back that up Shocked
Post #796721 4th Oct 2019 5:12pm
v8steve

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
who cares really? 110 xs s/wagon
s3 swb soft top
Post #796728 4th Oct 2019 6:16pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
As v8steve says. Who cares? Well no one would, if as a family they didn't keep banging the environmental / sustainability drum.

Now, they are probably bullet proof vehicles (which knowing South Africa is probably a good insurance) and that is why, I imagine, these vehicles are being used.

Obviously the environmentally friendly option would have not to have gone?

Before anyone hits me between the eyes, I am not a republican and I believe Wills Harry Kate and Meghan have a really important roll to play and my opinions of the tabloid lowlife journalists is at an all time low. But they also need smell the coffee (fair trade coffee, obviously), as a family, the Royals are a little bit carbon hungry Whistle
Post #796729 4th Oct 2019 6:31pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
ignoring the carbon issue, very good product placement for JLR, there was a vehicle in almost every tv interview and report.

Keith
Post #796731 4th Oct 2019 6:34pm
Tim in Scotland

Prince Harry would have had more environmental cred if he had had a Jaguar IPace to show off in South Africa - way faster off the mark than even a supercharged FFRR in the event of a quick get away being needed. Maybe he has an armoured SVA though....... and IPace isn’t yet available weighing 3.5t Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 4th Oct 2019 6:36pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #796732 4th Oct 2019 6:35pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Royals rule. Also, ya would.
Post #796733 4th Oct 2019 6:36pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Usually I would (jokingly) say "off with their heads" or (not jokingly) "give us our land back you thieving parasites" but I'm starting to like Harry and Meghan, if only because everyone else has it in for them.

As for Sir Ralph, well that's how our 'honours' system works for business people and politicians. You donate a large sum of money/equivalent in freebees and/or go to a Public school and you get an honour in return.
Post #796736 4th Oct 2019 6:47pm
williamthedog

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Tamar Blue
v8steve wrote:
who cares really?

How about Greta Thunberg? Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #796739 4th Oct 2019 7:22pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
JLR have broke a lot of their faithful off in great numbers. I can’t see JLR costing up to Royalty etc is going to improve things. They always have been closely aligned yes, but their just reducing their customer base further and further into the exclusive like Aston & Morgan etc. That’s all very well but in the long run the popularity and numbers will just plummet. With a smaller and smaller share there is then a lot more vulnerability to market shocks and failing.

I was interested to see MG advertising and see their new car lately. I thought they had all but disappeared along with Rover. Off Topic Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #796740 4th Oct 2019 7:24pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #796748 4th Oct 2019 8:39pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Abusing a 16 year old girl with Aspergers.

Very classy.
Post #796750 4th Oct 2019 8:48pm
Tim in Scotland

custom90steve wrote:
I was interested to see MG advertising and see their new car lately. I thought they had all but disappeared along with Rover. Off Topic

MG has disappeared, it’s now a Chinese made car that is built in China and shipped to the UK minus the engine which is also shipped in from China , unpacked from a shipping crate in the UK and lovingly bolted into the engine bay in this country by a dozen engineers in the Midlands Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #796751 4th Oct 2019 8:48pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
ericvv wrote:
williamthedog wrote:
v8steve wrote:
who cares really?

How about Greta Thunberg? Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Here she is ....

She needs a good slap sailing about in a carbon fibre yacht with a Dinosaur bone burning engine as back up and a good steak to put some meat on her.
Post #796759 4th Oct 2019 9:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>