↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Any Apple Mac IT experts?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
cold

One other potentially quick fix - check how much hard disk (HDD) space you have, I have had a few macs and when they get slow the culprit was usually the HDD , either having no space (even with large RAM computers temporarily write to HDD’s so if it is nearly full it cant and this slows it down) , otherwise as per feedback above it may be shot and then a new SSD HDD is a great option as prices are tumbling - but usually more expensive per Gb than a straight swop out, but check disk space first
Post #795834 29th Sep 2019 6:42pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Thanks for all the ideas, been doing a bit of reading up. All my important stuff is on an external HDD already (photos, Documents etc). I don’t have any special apps or programmes I need to keep as I only surf the ‘net and have been using Google Docs for word processing etc. Therefore, I think I can just erase the HDD and do a clean install using Apple’s macOS Recovery process here https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204904

After that, just reconnect my external drive and I should have a fresh machine.

Any flaws in that plan? If it makes an improvement, great. If not I can look at other things like an SSD upgrade after that. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #795931 29th Sep 2019 10:20pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
If you're going to all the trouble of reinstalling the OS then buy yourself and SSD drive at the same time. Spinning HDDs don't last forever, so you might as well bite the bullet now.
I replace all non-SSD drives after 5 years. Storage isn't expensive any more. When it breaks, it's always when it's least convenient.
Post #795962 30th Sep 2019 7:46am
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
Your plan of action is the best, given the way you use your mini. It should boot up in seconds and launch apps quickly too. However the critical issue will Likely be how current your software is and the age of the mini.
Really nothing to lose in trying, given that you have everything backed up.
If there is no improvement Apple have a hardware test hidden away in the OS software.
Post #796105 30th Sep 2019 9:26pm
Bluest

I would consider an SSD upgrade but think I’ll try a clean install first, don’t want to waste my money if there are other problems. OS is fairly current, I think this model was only declared obsolete quite recently. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #796111 30th Sep 2019 9:30pm
moleac

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I had the exact same problem on my 2012 iMac. Slow to start, slow to recover from sleep, 20 seconds+ to load MS Word etc. I bought a 500gb external Samsung SSD for £80 from Argos. Reinstalled the OS and configure to boot from the new SSD and it's like a new machine again. Office apps now load in approx 4 seconds and recovery from sleep is almost instant.

I did try a complete fresh reinstall on the original 5200k internal drive and whilst there was a small improvement, it was the move to SSD that made the biggest difference.
Post #796135 1st Oct 2019 12:15am
Bluest

My Mac Mini is like new again! I did a clean install of the OS to start with, and that made a huge improvement, much snappier than before all around but still a bit lazy, especially launching apps and booting up. It also freed up an unbelievable amount of storage (50%+!), so god knows what was filling up the HDD. So, that made me think about a cheap SSD so I bought a budget 240GB one from Crucial and fitted it tonight. Now it really is like new, if not faster, and I'm running the very latest OSX Catalina on a year old machine.

There were a couple of hiccups. First up the latest version of OSX has some weird dual partition thing and a lot of the HDD cloning tools can't handle it yet. I found on called Carbon Copy Cloner which did the job though. The there was fitting the HDD. On this model of Mac Mini you have dismantle hapf the machine to swap the drive including mucking about unscrewing various things from the logic board which I hate going near. Anyway, all good in the end.

Thanks to all the posters that suggesated this would sort it out. I was skeptical, but you were right Bow down 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #807797 27th Dec 2019 8:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12