↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 Defender @ Goodwood Revival
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
buckers19

1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Barolo Black
2020 Defender @ Goodwood Revival
Seen the new defender 90 at the Goodwood Revival. Very plasticky and I managed to break the wheel arch by prodding it. For some reason it had plastic chequer plate in the wing mirrors.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Anyway, here are photos that I got Instagram.com/mattbuckley19
Post #792838 13th Sep 2019 5:29pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Yeah, well you're not supposed to touch the new Defender! It's simply meant to be parked in the driveway so that your neighbours know you have a pot. Now left.
Post #792842 13th Sep 2019 5:53pm
Fellrunner

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Of course difficult to gauge in photographs, but the quality of some of the materials appears shocking.
Post #792844 13th Sep 2019 5:56pm
buckers19

1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Barolo Black
The amount of plastic on it is mind blowing. The entire rear light panel arrangement is plastic along with all the ‘chequer plate’ Instagram.com/mattbuckley19
Post #792846 13th Sep 2019 6:01pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
At least with plastic chequer plate you'll not get any galvanic corrosion going on between the ally plate and the steel rivets Rolling with laughter Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #792849 13th Sep 2019 6:06pm
jaygti

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Is their much room behind the rear seats,or is it like a err “classic” 90 sw with nothing except space for squashy bags? 2002 td5 90 county hardtop
Post #792856 13th Sep 2019 6:29pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
I think those wheel arch plastics are sacrificial like on the d3. I loved it with the black plastic arches that either popped off when you scraped something or you could swap out when the are scratched to Censored . Prevents the actual body getting damaged. I had a stock of the little plastic clips in the garage as SWMBO often tore the back wheel arch off getting through a tight paddock gate. Saved a lot of body repairs.

That said, they shouldn't just come off in your hand they should take some yanking so something is wrong with that demo car. I remember the reveal D5 show car at frankfurt was atrocious quality and we said at the time Landrover should be ashamed letting public near it. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #792858 13th Sep 2019 6:37pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
discomog wrote:
At least with plastic chequer plate you'll not get any galvanic corrosion going on between the ally plate and the steel rivets Rolling with laughter

Absolute gem, Discomog Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #792861 13th Sep 2019 6:46pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Oh dear, there is so much about that vehicle which is just downright nasty! Shocked
Post #792863 13th Sep 2019 6:48pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
buckers19 wrote:
The amount of plastic on it is mind blowing. The entire rear light panel arrangement is plastic along with all the ‘chequer plate’

I blame all the KBX GRILL supporters for inspiring Gerry.

Mr. Green

Still want one.
Post #792880 13th Sep 2019 7:51pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Greeni wrote - I blame all the KBX GRILL supporters for inspiring Gerry.

I know that you jest Greeni but i think that you have hit the nail on the head - is it in fact current Defender owners wanting more comfort and on road performance from their trucks that has in turn greated an industry rebuilding and selling Defenders for more that they are really worth that has caused JLR to say we what a piece of that. On the whole these blinged up Defenders never go off road. I am proud of my scratches - its certainly not a tarts handbag but each to their own.

Land Rover Works tested the water and they sold

Guava Land Rovers before they got bought out told me that they had two Twisted owners turn up with warrantee issues, Twisted told them that Land Rover would honour their work but Guava said no, go back to Twisted as the vehicles were modified.

JLR have produced a vehicle and accessory package (think Jeep Mopar) that allows the owner to get exactly what they want and have the manuafactures warrantee and support. The wrap option to me says that they expect some owners to actually work the new vehicles hard - that must be a positive.

The after market wont kick into gear until these vehicles are out of warrantee but the catch 22 is long term reliabilty and will it be a vehicle worth buying at that time of its life. New owners wont care , they will just get another one on PSP.

If more towns and cities follow London with the low emmission zones in the future then change of vehicle will be inevitable one way or the other.

Having had a few days to think it over i am now going to wait to see it with my own eyes before passing judgement, starting to get bored of the negativity now.

At present it is growing on me. I was not sure about the D3 at the time then the wife bought one and we loved it. now a number of years later she bought a Velar and my mind was changed again, its stunning to drive, in fact too fast for me.

We have a spare LR Experience half day voucher and we will use that for the New Defender when it is available Only by spening time with it will allow a more justified reaction.

In summary, Defender owners moving away from a working / off road vehicle to a comfy / soundproofed vehicle and constantly moaning about water leaks have inturn created the new Defender. A certain irony i believe.
Post #792907 13th Sep 2019 9:13pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Well The likes of Kahn and Twisted have proven there’s a market for terrible tasteless tat, at an outrageous price.

Did anybody see Twisted’s Charles Fawcetts quote, that claimed the old Defender’s value has just gone up 20%

I guess he would say that, with a warehouse full of them Rolling Eyes

I think people will be selling them, to buy the 2020... flooding the market and killing the value.
Post #792921 13th Sep 2019 9:38pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
I think that unmolested Pumas will do well when part ex-ing against a new Defender as the dealers will send them to LR Works for a full rebuild and sold for £150k.

The bling market (I hope) will crash as new owners will see the sense in having the factory backed warranty in a vehicle with clean emissions. I knew Twisted bought a lot of Defenders at the end - how many do they have left and now cant afford to swamp the market.

The price of the honest trucks will stay stable as local garages will be able to maintain them without expensive computer equipment unless your town / city wants them banned or you pay to enter.

And of cause the US still need unmolested 25 year trucks so they can molest them and sell them for silly money.
Post #792931 13th Sep 2019 10:22pm
nidge n

Thank you for posting the photographs, they have provided a real insight into what we can expect. Sorry, £45 to £70K for all that plastic checker plate? It just looks nasty and cheap. Gosh, there is plastic everywhere, the whole front and rear is plastic. And even the plastic trim around the rear wheal arch has come adrift.

The Defender name has added a premium to the price but it looks as though the accountants have maximised the value of low cost material, distracted by covering visible parts in leather. If you really wanted to spend £70K on a LR product, would you not be better to get a second hand Range Rover. But oh my god, all that plastic Checker plate Big Cry
Post #792933 13th Sep 2019 10:30pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
My wife was there today and sent me some snaps:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

More plastic chequer plate than you can shake a stick at:

Click image to enlarge

The rear of the 90 with the seats up:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #792934 13th Sep 2019 10:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>