↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 Defender @ Goodwood Revival
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Fellrunner wrote:
Of course difficult to gauge in photographs, but the quality of some of the materials appears shocking.

Less plastic on the Lego version.
Post #792935 13th Sep 2019 10:36pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
nidge n wrote:
Thank you for posting the photographs, they have provided a real insight into what we can expect. Sorry, £45 to £70K for all that plastic checker plate? It just looks nasty and cheap. Gosh, there is plastic everywhere, the whole front and rear is plastic. And even the plastic trim around the rear wheal arch has come adrift.

The Defender name has added a premium to the price but it looks as though the accountants have maximised the value of low cost material, distracted by covering visible parts in leather. If you really wanted to spend £70K on a LR product, would you not be better to get a second hand Range Rover. But oh my god, all that plastic Checker plate Big Cry

Don't forget the Freelander 1 had plastic wings. the advantage is that it will ping back to shape and not dented by small knocks so in that respect is that a bad thing?

I terms of the checker plate that is Land Rover following the lead from the current owners ie the original 110 / 90 then Defender never came from the factory with checker plate, it was the current owners adding it mostly to hide the aluminium that was turning to powder or the dents on the tops of the wings.
Post #792937 13th Sep 2019 10:45pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
LandRoverAnorak wrote:

The rear of the 90 with the seats up:

Click image to enlarge

I seriously think my wife's Smart has more room in the back than that Shocked

Just a comment on the failing trim ~ nearly every photo shows someone touching the car, and from experience at car shows I know people like to prod, tug, and tap various bits. Some of them have a harder week at a car show than 2 weeks on a Camel Trophy.
Post #792952 14th Sep 2019 5:50am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
GREENI wrote:
Well The likes of Kahn and Twisted have proven there’s a market for terrible tasteless tat, at an outrageous price.

Did anybody see Twisted’s Charles Fawcetts quote, that claimed the old Defender’s value has just gone up 20%

I guess he would say that, with a warehouse full of them Rolling Eyes

I think people will be selling them, to buy the 2020... flooding the market and killing the value.

I don't agree Geerni. I think 95% of the Discfender’s buyers will have never considered, let alone owned, a previous gen Def/LR/Series. They might have dipped into the brand with a Disco, but that’ll be about it. They will be fashion victims, pure and simple. There’ll be the odd D4 convert who hates the D5 and needs to upgrade, but I think mainly fashion victims brought across from Audi and Merc. I don’t see any traditional RRS/RR buyers downgrading to a heavy, non-sporty hunk of plastic. I don’t see Disco Sport or Velar owners thinking its worth the upgrade. I can’t see many women, either, saying I’ll swap the old 90 for the new 90, or a Q5 or X5 for that matter. This will be a very niche car in my opinion. Possibly as niche as the current Def. It’ll fly off shelves initially as fashion victims will be falling over themselves to be the first to be seen in one in Hoxton or with a surfboard on top going down the A303. Then sales will dry up as people come to realise it is an ugly lump of (albeit off-road capable) plastic, that has no character or soul, is effing expensive and (more likely than not) mechanically - or at least electrically - fragile. Sales will stop. Prices will drop. This is not a car that will be holding its price after 18mths. Gerry McGovern and LR have Censored this car up royally.

The one exception (that may save them) will be the American market where they’re used to plasticky behemoths. The problems however, is that those behemoths are normally a third of the price of this, have ‘American Heritage’ which an American will always prefer, and will have a monstrous 500bhp lump in the front and be devoid of electronic gizmos. So an American that does buy this will, in my opinion, be a rare American and they’ll probably live in San Fran, Portland, Austin etc, the hip cousin of Hoxton-man.... Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #792953 14th Sep 2019 6:15am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
I agree, I think the US market will be make or break for sales. The good thing (for JLR) is that the Americans have wanted a Defender for years. The bad thing is the price and the competition. The $40,000+ price of the Wrangler didn't go down too well, and the new Bronco is expected to be $30,000. But prices aside, both those 4x4s are really stiff competition for the new Defender. If it starts to get panned in reviews then it will start a rolling ball. Certainly, the Defender is definitely not a British car anymore, and I wonder if that will stack against it, or not.

JLR are losing £4 million a day, and they REALLY need to start selling in big numbers. I understand the iPace sales are really concerning (though not in the Netherlands!). I wouldn't bet on the Defender being the success JLR think it will be. Now left.
Post #792968 14th Sep 2019 9:11am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
discomog wrote:
At least with plastic chequer plate you'll not get any galvanic corrosion going on between the ally plate and the steel rivets Rolling with laughter

True ~ but think of all the water that's getting trapped behind that panel and slowly eating through any surface imperfections silently and unseen. Sad
Post #793082 15th Sep 2019 6:42am
Chugga90

Surface imperfections, Land Rover. In the same sentence? Rolling with laughter
Post #793088 15th Sep 2019 7:44am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
A bit more feedback from my wife (haven't seen her since Thursday Rolling Eyes ): she really wanted to like it, as a potential D4 replacement, but found it to be very plasticky. Lots of different trim, all different finishes and colours, was 'a mess'. The plastic chequer plate didn't go down well, either, particularly on the backs of the wing mirrors..

She got to talk to the LR rep that was on hand and discussion turned to the 'signature panel' on the side. He said that he couldn't see many people ordering it as it compromised the windows so much. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #793123 15th Sep 2019 12:49pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I saw it there today (Sunday).... all roped off from us unwashed public now.

Much preffered the S1 parked nearby, and the old classic RR's in the process of being re-vamped over on the LR/JLR shed.

there were a nice pair of 90 & 110 pumas for sale there as well.... £37k and £59950 respectively... mint though.

According to the brainwashed LR rep that was there, "if LR had continued to build the original defender they would have ended up as a cottage industry as people were just not buying them"

WTF? they never heard of, ooh let me see.... the military world wide, utility companies, mountain rescue, farmers etc etc etc

Still, I supposed this rounded plastic imitator will fit the bill and be able to be modified just as easily.

I happened to say out loud to my wife.... "Funny, MB manage to virtually hand build the G wagen and it's going from strength to strength"
Post #793155 15th Sep 2019 4:04pm
Mike c

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
People were buying them just not enough for them to get fat profits! All about money, they could have gone on selling it but didn't want to....

I would rather have one of those "old" Defenders for that money than the new plastic pretender.

LR, you are a sellout, pandering to a fickle market that will hopefully abandon you one day when fashion changes.
However thanks for making me appreciate what I already have even more Cool

Rant mode off!
Post #793156 15th Sep 2019 4:16pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Much preferred this: