↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Has anyone ordered one?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 23 of 30 <123 ... 222324 ... 282930>
Print this entire topic · 
StructuralDefect

United States 
zilch wrote:
Apparently my Defender is cruising down the US east coast heading for the Panama canal

Click image to enlarge

Very cool. Is this tracking something your salesman provided? 2020 Defender S, P300 in Fuji White w/black ext. pack. Ebony leather heated front/rear seats. Comfort & conv. pack. Towing pack. Cold climate pack. Panoramic roof & expedition roof rack. Classic mud flaps. Fog lights. 19 inch 6 spoke w/off road tires. Clear sight rear view mirror. Sirius XM. Delivery 9/4/20
Post #849337 11th Aug 2020 5:39pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
StructuralDefect wrote:
I like white, silver, black in that order. The actual colors dont do a lot for me but to each their own. I ordered white with black kit and black hood decal. Went with body colored roof though. I have 19 inch six spoke rims that I will I am debating on. May replace or may just wrap or powder coat black or white. Thinking white.

It’s just a personal thing every time, and colour is so subjective. But I saw the white one at our dealership with white wheels and I thought it looked just too plain. So personally I’d say get the wheels done black. Especially with the white roof too. Maybe you could get one of these clever guys here to mock up some photos for you so you get to exactly what it would look like with both before paying out to get them painted? Sold the Puma Defender and bought a brand new Pangea Green 2020 Defender D240 S with a few factory extras!
Post #849340 11th Aug 2020 5:51pm
Tim in Scotland

StructuralDefect wrote:
Very cool. Is this tracking something your salesman provided?

The Dealer or importer needs to tell you the name of the ship your car is travelling in then you can google the ships name and several websites like Marinetraffic.com or Vesselfinder.com or Fleetmon.net will be able to search through AIS VHF trackers when the ship is within 40 miles of the coast . Or you can go direct to those websites and type the ships name into their search function. To see where it is in mid-ocean costs and many ship owners do not permit mid-ocean tracking as it compromises maritime security. The system is similar to the aircraft tracking websites and was brought in after 9/11 by the USA at IMO.
Here is a screen shot of a containership about to lock out of the new mega locks at Balboa on the Pacific side just now 1859UTC 11th Aug

Click image to enlarge

If your car is travelling through the Panama Canal, if you know the ship’s name and you can find out it’s transit schedule then you can watch it live on the ACP (Panama Canal Authority) website by streamed video as it transits the canal. This link takes you to the Miraflores Locks Cam but you can see the webcams at 5 other locks by clicking on the drop down “live cams” on the website toolbar https://multimedia.panama-canal.com/Webcams/miraflores.html. Do be aware that the pucture only refreshes every 10-15 seconds, it isn’t a smooth cam video.

Suez Canal used to have similar streamed live cams but during their recent revolution it stopped working and I don’t know if it’s back up and running again. I haven’t been able to find any live cams of The Suez Canal today

Both canals work 2 way traffic now and operate 24/7 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #849358 11th Aug 2020 7:44pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
J77 wrote:
I had 12 years great service from stratstone Cupar originally which changed to Pentland. Now sadly closed as they couldn’t facilitate the Jaguar lineup. I’ve moved to Pentland Dundee as that’s where my salesman’s now based, I’ve no concerns over the service I will get from him and I had the Velar serviced there in January as I knew at some point Cupar would close, they were good, no complaints there.

What I don’t like are these very cold, clinical showrooms, everything in straight lines. It’s the first time I’ve felt like I’m buying something that’s above me, if that’s the correct phrase, though my salesman made me welcome, I just felt out of place.

Looks like the Pentland Perth wasn't clinical enough:

"Car dealership forced to close for deep clean after three workers test positive for Covid-19

Pentland Land Rover Perth, owned by John Clark Motor Group, closed its doors on August 20 and was deep cleaned, including the showroom, cars, workshop and valeting bay.

The showroom on Dunkeld Road, Perth, was reopened the next day and all staff have been tested for Covid-19."

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/ca...-19/201245
Post #852385 27th Aug 2020 3:16pm
J77

Scotland 
I hope it was cleaned better than their cars.
Post #852391 27th Aug 2020 3:39pm
Defendit..

Netherlands 
I have ordered my 90 P300S this week. ( will be retrofitted to commercial version & complete body spraypaint in High Solid Gloss to my choice )

Specs:
1AA. Fuji White
031ST Alloy wheels 18" satin Grey 5094
303PE Dinamica Suedecloth Ebony Interior
300WB Heated front seats
064AP Front fog lights
074PM Advanced Off-Road Capability Pack
074QA Off-Road Pack ( e-diff)

Only missing my Ebony headliner 188HD ( maybe possible to add as 2021 spec)

My dealer confirmed me the car will be delivered before March 2021, to specs of 2020, so, with 3d surround, mirrors, wade sensing,360 parking.
Hoping to have well done getting the most out of the S upgrade.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

About the wheels, between steelies and alloy. I'll buy a set of aftermarket steelies later.
Post #852763 28th Aug 2020 9:13pm
J77

Scotland 
So are orders for 90s now being taking? LRs website still saying can’t order until September.

This is mine

Click image to enlarge

Base D200
Centre console
White interior crossbeam
Cold pack
Privacy glass
Classic mud flaps
Air suspension

I may upgrade to the S but it doesn’t have much more than the base
Post #852764 28th Aug 2020 9:15pm
Defendit..

Netherlands 
Right, I also would be happy with a base version if the interactive display was optional.
I don,t like leather Interior, so I choose the Alcantara ( Dinamica Suedecloth)
Auto High Beam lights, console and alloy wheels come also with it.
Post #852772 28th Aug 2020 9:28pm
J77

Scotland 
The dash is the reason I’m considering the S. I’ll probably put seat covers on my seats.
Post #852775 28th Aug 2020 9:31pm
zilch

Australia 
Dealer confirmed that my delivery has been put back a week, the Tonsberg is running late,
must have missed its slot through the Panama canal and hung around the Caribbean for a
week.. Currently its somewhere in the Pacific tracking towards the land of the long white cloud..

Click image to enlarge
 yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #852799 28th Aug 2020 10:41pm
Supacat

I dread to think what the daily running costs of that would add up to.
Post #852843 29th Aug 2020 8:58am
Tim in Scotland

Off Topic Supacat, I assume you are talking about the delay to the Tonsberg carrying Zilch’s car
My last ship was $12000 a day before fuel cost- not in a hurry then 40 tonnes of HFO a day for 12.5knots but we could wind up to 25knots but fuel consumption rockets to around 280 tonnes a day if we got behind schedule. We operated a “liner” service to a schedule set 4 months in advance with passages worked on 12.5 knots economic speed. Sat at anchor off a port we only ran alternators at 3 tonnes a day per unit, usually 2 units were needed for all the services onboard and a small cargonof up to 60 plug-in refrigerated containers - more than t0 and a 3rd Genny was needed!
Tonsberg will,have sat at anchor for 5 days because at this time of year the Panama Canal can get low on water level so the number of transits per day is cut to save water but also there can be congestion and the owner may have decided that it was cheaper to wait for a transit (if you miss a booked transit you don’t get to jump the queue for Panama or Suez next transit without paying a huge surcharge. They will,have done their sums as to whether it is cheaper to sit at anchor without paying the surcharge and go faster across the ocean for 18 days Than it is to pay the surcharge. Unlike container ships car carriers don’t operate fixed day schedule services, on my ship if I missed my booking for a berth there was a delay for sure but also we carried a lot of just in time containerised cargo and if we lost 48 hours then the cost of going up to 24-25 knots was usually a lot less than holding up a production line somewhere and basically carrying the cargo for free......... quite often if some other ship missed a booked berth I would be asked to speed up to get there earlier which keeps the customers happy when their cargo arrives earlier. To help keep us on schedule we also paid for commercial weather routing but sometimes even that couldn’t avoid bad weather, often my experience as Master was better at weather routing than the guys we paid to do it for us using supercomputers.........
I’m not sure what today’s fuel prices are but it was around $550 a tonne for HFO 5% sulphur and $850 a tonne for HFO 0.1% sulphur that is required in emissions control regions when I retired in March We had tanks for 10,000 tonnes of fuel oil but generally only fuelled enough for 1 round trip + 10% reserve for safety - always worked out at maximum speed consumption.
In 2006 we started experimenting with fuel saving methods and now at sea we trim the ship down by the head between 1-2m and can save 2-3 tonnes a day - doing that over 360 owned ships in the fleet over a year yielded more than $2.5billion savings....... Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #852857 29th Aug 2020 9:43am
Supacat

Good info. Thumbs Up

That's actually a lot less than I had imagined.
Post #852860 29th Aug 2020 9:59am
spudfan

Ireland 
Tim, you are a the font of all knowledge.... most of which sails right over my head. The piece above puts my fuel consumption in perspective. I have a 1100 litre tank for diesel for the Land Rovers which usually gets topped up when I use 1000 litres. Would not want to have a storage tank for that ship in my shed, I dread to think what a fill up would cost. Rolling with laughter 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #852876 29th Aug 2020 10:48am
J77

Scotland 
Well I just fuelled up at ASDA at a cost of £47.63p Laughing
Post #852880 29th Aug 2020 11:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 23 of 30 <123 ... 222324 ... 282930>