↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Has anyone ordered one?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 21 of 30 <123 ... 202122 ... 282930>
Print this entire topic · 
Fat Cog

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
I've been watching his thread with interest, I have no desire to purchase the new Defender (I'm happy with my existing small fleet!) but I think its rather exciting observing a whole new breed of owners feeding back on a whole new breed of Land Rover 4x4.

I can only hope that stateside JLR dealers are markedly better than the woeful lot we have on this side of the pond; I have an American friend whom I occasionally green lane with & he cant believe how bad customer service is in the UK, he reckons the average USA buyer just wouldn't put up with it...we have a lot to learn! Since 1973...S1, Air Portable's, Defender's, but only my Wolf TUL HS GS remains
Post #848814 9th Aug 2020 12:32pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
I couldn’t agree more. Certainly customer service was so terrible at my local dealer I ended up buying my Defender in another County. Sold the Puma Defender and bought a brand new Pangea Green 2020 Defender D240 S with a few factory extras!
Post #848817 9th Aug 2020 12:45pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Is the dealer sales arrangement another part of the business model that needs to change? There's huge cost in these gin palaces that owner's are funding. Who'd rather keep that money in their pocket and deal with the process online?
Post #848819 9th Aug 2020 12:53pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
Well on line is only fine up to a point though. We still need to see/touch and test drive the vehicles. If I had only relied with ‘on line’, I’d now be in a used Disco 5 instead of waiting for my new Defender. Plus even if I had gone for the Defender, I’d have ordered it in a colour I don’t actually like in real life! So we need the dealerships and with it being an up market brand then I guess they need to look posh.
I just want them to train all their staff the same at every dealership so we have consistency to act in a mature, polite, respectful and professional manner. Instead, my local branch in Ipswich are a bunch of arrogant little Censored almost straight out of school, with the cocky attitude that the prices they are charging is chicken feed and if you aren’t sure if you can afford it, Censored off and get out of my way because we’re so busy selling so many of these things we don’t give a toss either way.

That was my experience TWICE when I visited Ipswich. When I complained to the sales manager that I found his young salesman’s attitude quite unprofessional, he said if I didn’t like it he suggested I go shop elsewhere!! Lol
I gave up and went to Lookers in Bishops Stortford in the end where I was treated very professionally I must say. And my past 10 years of Land Rover purchasing was in Northampton and I thought they were actually quite excellent! Sold the Puma Defender and bought a brand new Pangea Green 2020 Defender D240 S with a few factory extras!
Post #848824 9th Aug 2020 1:18pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
I’d like to point out that for me, this Defender is far and away the most I have ever spent on a vehicle by some margin at nearly £60k!! and so I was very hesitant about it and wanted to feel I was given time to consider the facts and figures. I feel the salesman in these dealerships are becoming so used to dealing with very wealthy people for whom buying a £90k Range Rover is nothing and needs little thought. As a result these salesmen have lost there sense of reality And have patience for the likes of us who aren’t in that category.
Even my salesman in Bishops Storford said he has many clients that come in, spend £90k on a Range Rover in 10 minutes and leave as though they were buying a shirt.
To me it’s a major decision and I want to be allowed to take my time while still made to feel valued and that this is an important, costly purchasing decision by the salesman.
I was an Estate Agent for decades and I treated my customers with same respect, patience, time and effort whether they were buying a £2m mansion or a £100k terrace! I always tried to make them feel Important as I knew for them this was a massively big deal! Sold the Puma Defender and bought a brand new Pangea Green 2020 Defender D240 S with a few factory extras!
Post #848828 9th Aug 2020 1:35pm
J77

Scotland 
I had 12 years great service from stratstone Cupar originally which changed to Pentland. Now sadly closed as they couldn’t facilitate the Jaguar lineup. I’ve moved to Pentland Dundee as that’s where my salesman’s now based, I’ve no concerns over the service I will get from him and I had the Velar serviced there in January as I knew at some point Cupar would close, they were good, no complaints there.

What I don’t like are these very cold, clinical showrooms, everything in straight lines. It’s the first time I’ve felt like I’m buying something that’s above me, if that’s the correct phrase, though my salesman made me welcome, I just felt out of place.
Post #848830 9th Aug 2020 1:40pm
StructuralDefect

United States 
Has anyone received special financing on their purchase? Was hoping for the 0% when it comes in. JLR is running that on other vehicles currently in the US at least. Still saving up for a massive down payment.
Post #848833 9th Aug 2020 2:08pm
StructuralDefect

United States 
Smilesapart wrote:
The spec sounds fantastic, but maybe rather than change to a Grenadier, you could just loose a few of the pricier options? Maybe your wife too would rather loose a couple of her options rather than go to a Grenadier if you showed it to her. I do hope you stick with it. I think when it arrives you’ll be like a dog with two dicks to be honest.

You are probably right! So do you have yours? What engine did you spec?
Post #848839 9th Aug 2020 2:22pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
I’m buying mine (I hate to admit this) on a PCP. My old Defender I’ve sold pays the biggest deposit allowed, plus the First two years of monthly payments. But if I could instead get 0% finance like some manufacturers are offering, then I’d definitely have gone down that route.
I know PCP’s are utter madness and I know buying a new car is throwing money down the drain the minute I drive out the show room everyone, so please - I don’t need anyone reminding me!!
I don’t smoke, I don’t drink (that much), I don’t gamble, but I blow stupid amounts of money on cars. It’s my thing and it makes me happy. Sold the Puma Defender and bought a brand new Pangea Green 2020 Defender D240 S with a few factory extras!
Post #848840 9th Aug 2020 2:27pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
StructuralDefect wrote:
Smilesapart wrote:
The spec sounds fantastic, but maybe rather than change to a Grenadier, you could just loose a few of the pricier options? Maybe your wife too would rather loose a couple of her options rather than go to a Grenadier if you showed it to her. I do hope you stick with it. I think when it arrives you’ll be like a dog with two dicks to be honest.

You are probably right! So do you have yours? What engine did you spec?

No not yet, mine is being built at the beginning of October and I’ve been told I should get it early November. I went for the D240 (which I test drive and thought was excellent).
I chose D240 S in Pangea Green, Khaki interior, Sunroof, 6 spoke 19” alloys, off road tyres, black exterior pack, Cold Climate Pack, solar windscreen, Rear temp control, front & Rear Traditional style mud flaps, Deep Rubber mats, Black/green Land Rover Logo wheel centres.
Personally I’m not that keen on the Spare wheel cover they do, so I shall wait and buy a (hopefully cheaper) after market one like on the original Defender in plain black once I find one to fit.
But very excited about it’s arrival and have absolutely no doubts what so ever that we are going to just love it to bits. Sold the Puma Defender and bought a brand new Pangea Green 2020 Defender D240 S with a few factory extras!
Post #848843 9th Aug 2020 2:35pm
StructuralDefect

United States 
That initial loss of value is haunting me too. I once swore I would never buy a brand new car. I have always had older Jeeps and even an older FJ40 as my "play" cars. My wife has always driven "luxury" cars that were a few years old when we purchased. 2005 Navigator we bought in 2010, 2010 QX56 we bought in 2014. Now the Defender comes out and I completely blow up my formula. Neutral
Post #848844 9th Aug 2020 2:39pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
I agree. We agreed in 2017 we would never ever buy a new car ever again as the initial hit in the first three years was so obscene.
And we even reminded ourselves at that pact when we went to test drive the new Defender (just for the hell of it) while also test driving the 3 year old Disco 5 we were going that day to buy!! And look what happens Rolling with laughter Sold the Puma Defender and bought a brand new Pangea Green 2020 Defender D240 S with a few factory extras!
Post #848847 9th Aug 2020 2:44pm
StructuralDefect

United States 
So the D240 is a turbodeisel. Very cool. Our US options are 296 hp turbo 4cyl and 396 hp turbo 6cyl. I will have to get by with the 4cyl as its over a 10k dollar difference. Should be fine. Can still tow 8200 pounds with tow package.
Post #848851 9th Aug 2020 2:52pm
J77

Scotland 
D200 and 240 are the 4 cylinder twin turbo diesel. There is a 3.0 diesel coming and believed to be available in the US once launched.
Post #848852 9th Aug 2020 2:57pm
apt100

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Smilesapart wrote:
I couldn’t agree more. Certainly customer service was so terrible at my local dealer I ended up buying my Defender in another County.

Snap. Although I ended up buying my 'Classic' in a different country. Interesting to see things are still as bad.
Post #848858 9th Aug 2020 4:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 21 of 30 <123 ... 202122 ... 282930>