↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Has anyone ordered one?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 14 of 30 <123 ... 131415 ... 282930>
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

Yes and it has been like that since 2018. I specced my Mini Countryman PHEV to £39750 to avoid it, BMW had a price rise just before my car was built and would have been due this tax. Give them their due, i was made several offers by BMW and the dealership not to cancel the order and in the end I only paid the original price, BMW/Dealers gave me a discount then that was the amount of extra tax I would have to pay over the next 5 years - additional VED because the emissions increased ( a higher output for the 1.5ltr 3 pot turbo petrol engine caused that and took me out of the £10 pa VED band!) between ordering and build and luxury car tax which was very nice of them. With 30 years experience of buying JLR products I asked my local LR dealer if they would have done the same had I been in the same situation with an order to JLR. The salesman's reply Was to the effect that “why had I even bothered to ask, of course JLR wouldn’t have done that - they don’t worry about loosing orders!” I also won out as instead of being delivered in early July 2018 my car appeared at the dealership at the end of May so I also got the £2500 grant given for buying low emission vehicle that was taken away on 1st July 2018! Petrol consumption has proved so low that that £2500 that I had put into a Monzo bank account especially started to buy petrol for the new car still 18 months later had in excess of £2000 balance! Compared to the running costs of the 2015 RRS HSE that I ran before the Countryman, I have spent £40 on electricity to charge the car in 18 months as the Scottish Govnt sells me a £20 pa RFID card to activate the public chargers all over Scotland to give me free charging away from home, at home I offset the cost of charging by using the FIT payments I get from my 3.9Kw/h solar array on the house roof to buy the electricity needed to recharge the Mini’s battery bank. What’s left puts diesel in my Defenders tank! I have become a great fan of electric motoring or electrically assisted motoringgas a result and my bank account is smiling too!
People who haven’t tried to run an electrically powered or electrically assisted vehicle shouldn’t knock it, too many people are too quick to condemn it without the background experience of running a PHEV. They aren’t for high miles motorists but in my case of only covering 6-7000 miles a year it is a winner. My car only does 14 miles on a charge in winter, 23 miles in summer but 90% of my trips are 16 miles each way, and I live in the back of beyond, not in a city.
As the savings on fuelling my Mini now pays for all the fuel that goes into myDefender, am I running an electrically fuelled Defender Thumbs Up Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #814161 8th Feb 2020 10:57am
Tim in Scotland

I’ve just had a “follow up” phone call from my local dealership regarding my interest in buying a New Defender, very polite but after a bit of beating about the bush about possibly buying one of the low miles used Defenders from their forecourt instead I was asked if I still wanted to maintain my “expression of interest” , and which model was I interested in. Well the salesman I have been dealing with for the last 2 years knows which model/spec and engines I’m interested in so they should have that on record in the dealership. When I said I was interested in a 90 SE PHEV there was a short silience at the other end “I’m sorry sir but we have no news when the 90 or the PHEV versions will be available but it won’t be until the end of the year” Then I said I also have a deposit on a Kia eNiro................. and wouldn’t hesitate to to cancel the Defender if the order were confirmed before (there is a 2 year wait for an eNiro) then I would keep my TDi300 90. I said that I was getting fed up with reading about delays to the sales of New Defender, fed up with no news when a 90 was being launched and fed up with waiting to know if there is ever going to be a PHEV. I think that the very polite lady on the other end got the message - JLR get your act together please or I and many others will abandon ship. I have been offered a look at the 110 when they get one in - I asked if a test drive would be possible - no, the car will not be going out of the showroom........ Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #814491 10th Feb 2020 2:14pm
J77

Scotland 
The 90 will appear on the configurator next month with deliveries expected around October onwards. That’s what my dealer is saying at the moment at least.
Post #814497 10th Feb 2020 2:58pm
Tim in Scotland

Pentland Stirling are being a bit cagey about it......... thanks for the info though I’ll keep an eye out for it appearing on there then Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #814514 10th Feb 2020 6:15pm
J77

Scotland 
I’m between dealers, Pentland Cupar is no longer a new car franchise but still sells new cars though the sale goes through Dundee site where my salesman is supposed to be moving at some point along with my deposit.

My dealer is also under the impression that the 90 will debut with all engine options. I won’t hold my breath.
Post #814531 10th Feb 2020 8:11pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
My dealer seems to think phev won’t be launched until next year it will just be mild hybrids until then. I got all exited when the hybrid mules were spotted.

Click image to enlarge
 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #814534 10th Feb 2020 8:24pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Looks like this year's allocation for the US is still available:

"The dealers have taken a lot of orders, but we are no means sold out of this year's production. So there is a lot of excitement and energy. And we will have inventory on the ground. I think every dealer gets three units to start that are demo units."
Andy Vine, chairman of the Jaguar Land Rover Retailer Cabinet and dealer principal at Jaguar-Land Rover Louisville in Kentucky

https://www.autonews.com/nada-show/new-def...nameplates
Post #815663 17th Feb 2020 7:51pm
Tim in Scotland

So reading between the lines it hasn’t been as well received in 110 form in the USA as was hoped? Too expensive and engines are too small for American tastes? Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #815683 17th Feb 2020 9:07pm
J77

Scotland 
According to LR demand is outstripping supply.

https://media.landrover.com/en-gb/news/202...own-stunts
Post #815723 18th Feb 2020 1:24am
Supacat

Do you smell anything fishy ~ why launch a very expensive TV advert when you have nothing to sell? In the past, some if not all of JLR's TV adverts have been for models they haven't been shifting...
Post #815733 18th Feb 2020 6:51am
Tim in Scotland

I think, even in the USA, not having any BEV or PHEV available at launch is hurting JLR hard, especially in places like New York and London where it is important for the fashion victims to be seen in the earliest releases of a new car model. Whilst I doubt many central London residents can not afford the Conjection/ULEZ charges for sure they don’t want their new car to be seen as an environment killer and possibly subject to unwanted attention from the environmental zealots like XR members. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #815744 18th Feb 2020 8:46am
J77

Scotland 
Supacat wrote:
Do you smell anything fishy ~ why launch a very expensive TV advert when you have nothing to sell? In the past, some if not all of JLR's TV adverts have been for models they haven't been shifting...

Somethings not right.

Deliveries, they say, start in the spring, well that’s just around the corner yet nobody has driven one. There’s a lot of secrecy around the 90, whenever I’ve asked LR be it customer services or online chat, all I’m given is the link to twitter Rolling Eyes
Post #815771 18th Feb 2020 12:31pm
Slideywindows

England 
J77 wrote:
According to LR demand is outstripping supply.

https://media.landrover.com/en-gb/news/202...own-stunts

According to the blurb in the link, demand is "set" to outstrip supply, not actually outstripping supply.

Just the ad industry's "order one quick, otherwise you will lose out" tactic, perhaps?

In a year's time we'll all know the truth about how well it has sold.
Post #815863 18th Feb 2020 8:07pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
I've been told I may get my 110 X in September. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #816811 24th Feb 2020 11:24pm
Supacat

Are the Xs supposed to be the 1st batch of customer cars or are they doing it differently?
Post #816826 25th Feb 2020 7:28am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 14 of 30 <123 ... 131415 ... 282930>