↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > HERE IT IS!!!! 2020 LAND ROVER DEFENDER!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 13 <123 ... 567 ... 111213>
Print this entire topic · 
Whirly90

England 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Keswick Green
Grenadier wrote:
Everything that is wrong about this new Discfender was highlighted by two things.

1. McGovern. The way he was dressed is how he ‘sees’ the evolution of LR. Snazzy, middle-aged urban chic. Open collars, jacket, hankie in the breast pocket. That, to him and the design team, is their target market.

2. Architects. This was then backed up by one of the many videos when a slim, middle-aged, be-stubbled architect, sporting a white open-collared shirt, slid his plans into his Defender before driving off, later showing it parked up in the McLaren-Factory sterile double garage of his Uber-contemporary home.

This is JLR’s target market. I’m not saying that amongst us on this forum there aren’t urbanites, middle-agers, architects and professionals, and open-collar wearing men (indeed I’ve been known to sport an open-collar with a jacket on occasion). The difference is that on this forum there are also the retired, the DIY mechanics, the unemployed, the farmer, soldier, utility worker. The teacher, the company exec, the accountant. There’s Overlanders, green-laners, modifiers and poseurs. There are the sporty types, the loafers, the always-in-the-garage-of-a-Sunday-ers. There are thin types and fat types, men types and women types. Some with double-barrelled surnames, some who are not even sure if they have a name. Some who want a clean good-handling Defender, some who want a hoseable workhorse. There’s the member who knows everything about LRs, and those that know nothing. Those who attend fairs and shows and take endless photos, those that merely accept it for what it is. There are those who’s first focus is to remap, those who want to ‘find that leak’ and those that just need to tow a horse box. And between us we own not one Defender that looks like the next, and that’s not just because one is clean and one is dirty. The variety of people, views, tastes, mods and vehicles that can be found on this forum, yet who all settle on a level-playing field that is the singular, almost obsessive love that comes of Defender ownership, is what made this vehicle so great.

This new Defender is clearly a capable bit of kit, for the 21c. But much as with another 21C-ism, this vehicle is having an identity crisis. It is a Disco 5, but it wants to identify as a Defender, and it has every ‘right’ to do so. Just not by me it won’t. Big Cry

That's saved me a whole load of typing, you've summed up my thoughts perfectly Thumbs Up
Post #791752 10th Sep 2019 12:54pm
CarMan

United Kingdom 
Markez79 wrote:
I can only see a 20 inch wheel option........says it all.

Base model has 18's Rob

1993 200tdi 90 hard-top
1998 300tdi 90 soft-top
2016 2.2 XS 90 hard-top
Post #791754 10th Sep 2019 12:57pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
The 110 boot space is dismal 900mm from seat to door, the D5 is just as cheap or expensive and a lot bigger in the boot. So what's the point buying a 110 over the D5 for the same monies? 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #791755 10th Sep 2019 12:59pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
NoDo$h wrote:
Just looking at the configurator and the MPG figures are around 30mpg for both the diesels, so expect 25 in real world. And as for the spec you get for the price it's hilarious.

If JLR were on the stock exchange you'd be seeing some graphs going down faster than a downhill skier. They've recovered some lost D5 sales to those who were hanging on to their D4s. They may have recovered some sales from those who bought the last of the old Defender as a status symbol, but it's going to struggle to sell to the majority of former Defender buyers and I really don't see what new markets will exist for them

I'm thinking those who couldn't get one of the limited edition V8 Works may just be able to afford one of these in top spec...
Post #791756 10th Sep 2019 1:01pm
Markez79

Also, i can see a Winch recovery kit.....but no winch as an option!
Post #791758 10th Sep 2019 1:03pm
Markez79

Click image to enlarge
Post #791759 10th Sep 2019 1:03pm
Supacat

blackwolf wrote:
AndrewS wrote:
Im so Censored annoyed that there is no hairdryer in the accessory options FFS Land Rover what are you doing.

Perhaps you've hit on the purpose of the exterior "lunchbox" thing - after all Busty Wetsuit Girl does reach for the lunchbox when she gets back to the car.

Hmm, I've just realised how wrong that sounds, never mind! Embarassed

Edit, I've just found the "lunchbox" on the LR website, it's actually an "external gear carrier"...

... so I guess it's for drugs, part of the "urban" theme.

So I noticed it comes with a rubber bung/drainage hole in the bottom - wonder who will be first to return to their vehicle, open the case and find it full of shaving foam or similar...
Post #791760 10th Sep 2019 1:07pm
Supacat

Tim in Scotland wrote:
£925 for a built in air compressor.......... this is robbery seeing as there is one built into every air-suspended car anyway, why not just utilise that with an extra connection ?

It wouldn't surprise me that things like this and the remote park heat are already there and the charges are just for software ticks iin boxes to make them go live. Give it a few months and there will be people out there offering these options for a fraction of the price.
Post #791761 10th Sep 2019 1:11pm
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
AndrewS wrote:
The 110 boot space is dismal 900mm from seat to door, the D5 is just as cheap or expensive and a lot bigger in the boot. So what's the point buying a 110 over the D5 for the same monies?

As disappointed as I am with the looks, £ for £ I would still have the new 110 over the seriously fugly D5 any day.

It will probably have better residuals versus the D5 over the next 3 years too - I would have thought D5 sales will take a hit.
Post #791762 10th Sep 2019 1:12pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
What puddle? wrote:
Quite astounded, as it's worse than even I thought it would be. It looks...odd. I still can't understand why it's taken JLR so long...to produce a mundane 4x4. And I'm not even going to mention the crazy price tag. That alone rules me out, even if it looked good.

I will wait for the Ford Bronco

Click image to enlarge

Prefer the simple look of that Thumbs Up Less fashion statement more tool perhaps!
Post #791763 10th Sep 2019 1:13pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
OsloBlue wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjOvcG0Uhlg

Jack Rix “....I’m sorry, but this will be better in every single way...”.

Um, no. He completely misses the point why the Defender became the icon it did in the first place and remained so for 70 years.

1. Character
2. Adaptability
3. Affordability
4. Inclusivity
5. Longevity
6. Self-serviceability
7. Practicality
8. Variety
9. Ability
10. Leaky

To name but a few advantages our “polluting, horrible to drive” Defenders will continue to have over this new Discfender. In this regard it is arguably what made the Defender ‘unique’ and ‘unmatched’ despite its endless faults and problems. This new version has everything every other modern 4x4/SUV has, looks similar to them, appeals to much the same market and apart from ‘ability’ (which I think it will clearly have) will not stand out as unique from any of them. Not even, really, within the LR stable. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey

Last edited by Grenadier on 10th Sep 2019 1:16pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #791765 10th Sep 2019 1:14pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Ads90 wrote:
AndrewS wrote:
The 110 boot space is dismal 900mm from seat to door, the D5 is just as cheap or expensive and a lot bigger in the boot. So what's the point buying a 110 over the D5 for the same monies?

As disappointed as I am with the looks, £ for £ I would still have the new 110 over the seriously fugly D5 any day.

It will probably have better residuals versus the D5 over the next 3 years too - I would have thought D5 sales will take a hit.

Agreed 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #791766 10th Sep 2019 1:16pm
Supacat

Grenadier wrote:
This new Defender is clearly a capable bit of kit, for the 21c.

So why did it slide down that ramp at the beginning of the launch? It looked like either the hill descent control had failed or the driver had switched it off.
Post #791767 10th Sep 2019 1:18pm
NoDo$h

England 
HDC has always worked by locking 1 or two wheels while allowing the others to rotate when at the edge of performance/descent capability, swapping which wheels are locked. It pretty much performed as any HDC equipped LR has for.... well, since the FL1 

54 Freelander modded for mud
2008 D3 SE
2010 90 XS SW
1978 88 Series 3 undergoing surgery with a new owner
2007 90 County Truck Cab - gone
2006 D3 SE - gone
2004 Freelander Sport - gay
1999 Disco V8 ES rotted to bits
Post #791769 10th Sep 2019 1:23pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Zagato wrote:
What puddle? wrote:
Quite astounded, as it's worse than even I thought it would be. It looks...odd. I still can't understand why it's taken JLR so long...to produce a mundane 4x4. And I'm not even going to mention the crazy price tag. That alone rules me out, even if it looked good.

I will wait for the Ford Bronco

Click image to enlarge

Prefer the simple look of that Thumbs Up Less fashion statement more tool perhaps!

That's weird, that's what my wife says about me!!! Now left.
Post #791776 10th Sep 2019 1:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 13 <123 ... 567 ... 111213>