↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > HERE IT IS!!!! 2020 LAND ROVER DEFENDER!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 13 <123 ... 789 ... 111213>
Print this entire topic · 
Tommo

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 Black LE Java Black
I like it.
I think it needs a thorough assessment particularly if it is to be used as a work vehicle rather than assume it will be no good.
Also, the hidden costs need considering:
Road tax
service costs
insurance

For me, cost of purchase is obviously important but yearly running cost are very important as if I buy a car at £50k (which I cannot afford) but then not only have to pay for the purchase but also elevated running costs as listed above might prove way too much Big Cry
Post #791888 10th Sep 2019 6:21pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
NoDo$h wrote:
HDC has always worked by locking 1 or two wheels while allowing the others to rotate when at the edge of performance/descent capability, swapping which wheels are locked. It pretty much performed as any HDC equipped LR has for.... well, since the FL1

Your explanation of how it works is fine, however, the video does not show that. The wheels are locked and slide for periods of time that is far longer the pulse modulation HDC applies. At least when the system is switched on and working correctly.
Post #791890 10th Sep 2019 6:25pm
JAY BOY

Wales 
It looks fantastic and i want one, but i rang my dealers today and got my deposit back. The price is unreal. 88K for a spec i would be happy with and the residuals they are stating are the same as a D5, ill wait until the second hand market takes hold.

23-25 mpg for the 3.0L MHEV petrol that's real mpg of sub 20

I think when they start to offer discounts and more engine choice i will be back.
Post #791899 10th Sep 2019 6:53pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Maybe I'm a little odd but I would not buy a vehicle just because it is called "Defender". I have to like it in order to ask the Mrs to part with money we don't yet have. Our Defenders become part of the family. We still have the 200 tdi that we bought in 1996. There are too many memories tied up in it to part with it, besides it still runs beautifully.
I do not own a mobile phone so all of the electronic extras on the new model just leave me cold. Once I found out that it would have an automatic gearbox I lost any curiosity I had. Are manual gearboxes not supposed to give better fuel consumption?
The out going model had character. You could go out and hang a wet teeshirt over the front wing and let it hang down over the side light and get excited. You can't do that with the new one. Why do you think explorers in remote places liked the old model? Far from home, far from humanity of the female kind. All they needed was a cloth and some water and well, err... Mr McGovern just doesn't get this. Yes Gerry, it's the little things that count. It might be capable and modern but there's more to life. The old vehicle had class whereas this one has generic written all over it.
Like I said, not for me but then again maybe I'm a little odd. Now where is that white tee shirt and bottle of water. There's a 110 Defender outside just oozing temptation.... 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #791900 10th Sep 2019 6:54pm
Andy80

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
Pilgrimmick wrote:
Could be worse, but not a working vehicle.

A good looking vehicle but I was hoping for a hardtop utility version.....

Is it me or have missed a market not just high end SUV?

Andy Working towards Carry on camping!
Post #791902 10th Sep 2019 6:55pm
adolfy

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Bronze Green
In a word Awful.
Post #791907 10th Sep 2019 7:11pm
dgardel

Italy 
Whirly90 wrote:
Grenadier wrote:
Everything that is wrong about this new Discfender was highlighted by two things.

1. McGovern. The way he was dressed is how he ‘sees’ the evolution of LR. Snazzy, middle-aged urban chic. Open collars, jacket, hankie in the breast pocket. That, to him and the design team, is their target market.

2. Architects. This was then backed up by one of the many videos when a slim, middle-aged, be-stubbled architect, sporting a white open-collared shirt, slid his plans into his Defender before driving off, later showing it parked up in the McLaren-Factory sterile double garage of his Uber-contemporary home.

This is JLR’s target market. I’m not saying that amongst us on this forum there aren’t urbanites, middle-agers, architects and professionals, and open-collar wearing men (indeed I’ve been known to sport an open-collar with a jacket on occasion). The difference is that on this forum there are also the retired, the DIY mechanics, the unemployed, the farmer, soldier, utility worker. The teacher, the company exec, the accountant. There’s Overlanders, green-laners, modifiers and poseurs. There are the sporty types, the loafers, the always-in-the-garage-of-a-Sunday-ers. There are thin types and fat types, men types and women types. Some with double-barrelled surnames, some who are not even sure if they have a name. Some who want a clean good-handling Defender, some who want a hoseable workhorse. There’s the member who knows everything about LRs, and those that know nothing. Those who attend fairs and shows and take endless photos, those that merely accept it for what it is. There are those who’s first focus is to remap, those who want to ‘find that leak’ and those that just need to tow a horse box. And between us we own not one Defender that looks like the next, and that’s not just because one is clean and one is dirty. The variety of people, views, tastes, mods and vehicles that can be found on this forum, yet who all settle on a level-playing field that is the singular, almost obsessive love that comes of Defender ownership, is what made this vehicle so great.

This new Defender is clearly a capable bit of kit, for the 21c. But much as with another 21C-ism, this vehicle is having an identity crisis. It is a Disco 5, but it wants to identify as a Defender, and it has every ‘right’ to do so. Just not by me it won’t. Big Cry

That's saved me a whole load of typing, you've summed up my thoughts perfectly Thumbs Up

Same as per me Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Last edited by dgardel on 11th Sep 2019 5:34am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #791911 10th Sep 2019 7:24pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
With 85 ECU's I predict that once out of warrantee the prices will nosedive and those that take the chance will be forced to used main dealers due to the complexity of the system. I guess the African bush mechanic will be able to use it as a hen house, that rubber flooring will be easy to clean.

This in turn will keep the current Defender prices healthy for the long team.
Post #791916 10th Sep 2019 7:40pm
Pilgrimmick

United Kingdom 
The underwhelming applause at the end of his presentation said it all for me. That was to the motoring press and selected audience. So the general public will be even less impressed.
All buzz words and sound bites, the wrong man for the job, fidgeting with his wedding ring and looking like a school boy who had not done his homework.
Really was not the launch of a world beater.
Did note that they already have an eye for the collectors, with ‘first edition’ models.
Not saying it is a bad car, it is just not a successor to the Defender.
The existing defender has just become more desirable. 80" 1948
Lightweight V8
Bowler Tomcat
130 Station wagon
90 300tdi
(Santana PS10 pick up)
Range Rover L322 (Ful fat)
Post #791917 10th Sep 2019 7:41pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
'Did note that they already have an eye for the collectors, with ‘first edition’ models.'

Read Beta tester......
Post #791920 10th Sep 2019 7:44pm
jaygti

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
I bet everyone at the launch we’re thinking the same thing.
“Nice car, but why didn’t you make it look like the old one!” 2002 td5 90 county hardtop
Post #791927 10th Sep 2019 7:59pm
Supacat

NoDo$h wrote:
I really don't see what new markets will exist for them

They have to be pinning their hopes on the US and China. There's much they are doing in China to correct their mistakes and the market there has huge potential volume growth over the next few years. US is just a huge market, and a relatively small share of that will still equal a good volume of sales.

I thought it interesting that, as has been commented already, all the models shown were left hand drive...
Post #791988 11th Sep 2019 5:27am
Supacat

[quote="Ads90"]
AndrewS wrote:

As disappointed as I am with the looks, £ for £ I would still have the new 110 over the seriously fugly D5 any day.

It will probably have better residuals versus the D5 over the next 3 years too - I would have thought D5 sales will take a hit.

Agree, but then with D5 sales already stalled and this taking more future sales away from it, JLR will have to manage supply carefully or start to heavily discount the D5. That's going to change the residual calculation further down the road.
Post #791989 11th Sep 2019 5:36am
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Anyone found the weight of the new Defender?
Interested in what the yearly road taxes will be here.
Post #791997 11th Sep 2019 6:02am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
here's a link to the brochure, with all dimensions/capabilities, etc.: https://www.landrover.co.za/Images/Land-Ro...715173.pdf --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #792008 11th Sep 2019 6:47am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 8 of 13 <123 ... 789 ... 111213>