↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > had a phone call yesterday
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
BogMonster

Falkland Islands 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Grenadier wrote:

The problem Bog-Monster is that you (and I would suggest many on this forum) are not the target market. They’re not targeting bearded, middle-aged, ale drinking obsessives, who enjoy farming, green-leaning, over-landing, and are happy to ‘tinker’ on their pride and joy on a rainy Sunday morning, a hot brew within arm’s reach in their HUE mug. They won’t target people who go to Steam Fairs and take photos (and post those photos) of Fred Dimbar’s little beauty. They won’t be targeting people who want to be on this forum. They won’t be targeting people who are happy to be wet, cold, deaf, uncomfortable or broken down, just to own a vehicle with ‘character’.

But they will be targeting young urbanites who are middle-to-high income earners, who do a city-based 9-5 job, but who spend weekends on their 7k mountain bike, ski on their latest Black Diamonds, (kitted out top to toe in Arc’teryx), take part in global ‘challenges’ like the Étape and UTMB, have a selection of modern Gins at home, not a home-brew kit, will already have a ‘sports’ car in their stable, plus possibly a family run-around (RS6), have kids called Zack and Flo. They will head to food festivals, be tinkering with Veganism, and ultimately, secretly, wish they were Bear Grylls (or the female equivalent) and hanker after appearing alongside Ant and Foxy on SAS - Are You Tough Enough.

Actually I am only a few of the things in your first paragraph, but mercifully almost none of the things in your second, which sounded exceedingly accurate even if I didn't understand half of what you were on about. I assume they are the shallow trinkets enjoyed by the sort of people who infest the telly nowadays, braying obnoxiously through their stick-on teeth.

The commercial error they have made is to dismiss repeat custom. Enthusiasts and money are not mutually exclusive. It's an interesting choice, choosing to chase a fickle market which will probably buy one, not keep it long, and move on to the next fad. Around here, over the last twenty or so years, we have owned, on a quick tally, seven Land Rovers that were bought from new and another three purchased second hand. I can add four more (all bought new) on the family farm, and extend a very much longer list back to about 1950. None of the people who bought any of them have spent their weekend welding or at steam fairs. I know they don't care (does anybody) but I feel allowed to be mildly miffed that repeat custom has been dismissed in favour of flogging a posh surfboard-carrier to Tarquin and Henrietta. Never mind, I suppose somebody will take the money. ---
2006 Defender 110 SW 300Tdi • 2011 Ford Ranger XLT crewcab • 2015 Defender 110 Station Wagon Utility TDCi
Post #790815 6th Sep 2019 1:54am
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
“braying obnoxiously through their stick-on teeth. ”

Brilliant line!! Rolling with laughter
Post #790820 6th Sep 2019 6:07am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
blackwolf wrote:
Ads90 wrote:
I can't help thinking that LR need a new 'low-priced', fun vehicle ....

I am intrigued by your use of the word "need". What benefit would it bring to JLR to have such a vehicle?

Since inevitably margins are lower on a low-priced vehicle, I find it hard to see how making one would benefit the company unless the high-priced, high-tech, premium price market becomes so saturated that no-one is buying the expensive models (actually this is something that JLR seems hell-bent on achieving all by itself with a line up of so many competing own products). The low-priced end of the market is also one where it is very easy for any firm to compete and I am sure they would if the market was there and worthwhile.

It is a nice thought that LR could go back to its roots and produce a quality, sub-£20k vehicle to complete with the new Suzuki, but I really don't think that there's a big enough market for it.

I cast back to last year to dig up this article that makes reference to an entry-level Defender:

"LONDON -- Jaguar Land Rover will add three new models over the next five years and gradually switch most of its vehicles to a new modular platform.

The first model will be a new-generation Land Rover Defender, arriving in the 2020-21 financial year, JLR said in a June 22 presentation to investors. Two more vehicles will be launched between 2021 and 2024, increasing JLR's model range to 16 from 13 now, according to the presentation.

The company gave no information about the models but media reports speculate that the single-model Defender may be expanded into a product family to rival Jeep.

The new models could include an entry-level Land Rover, Autocar reported. Land Rover may also launch a car-like crossover called the Road Rover, reports said. Plans for a halo model to take on the Bentley Bentayga ultraluxury SUV appear to be on the back burner for now."

https://europe.autonews.com/article/201808...e-platform

JLR still have two new "nameplates" to come, could one be a Defender Sport?
Post #790843 6th Sep 2019 9:06am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
What on God's Earth will a Road Rover be? And a Defender Sport? Big Cry Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #790844 6th Sep 2019 9:12am
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Road Rover - a rehash of a Rover 75 with 4x4, PHEV, HDC, EBD, PA, TA, OMG, WTF all built in as standard. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #790845 6th Sep 2019 9:16am
Grenadier

I'm feeling a lot of those last two acronyms right now... Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #790847 6th Sep 2019 9:22am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Grenadier wrote:
What on God's Earth will a Road Rover be? And a Defender Sport? Big Cry

Defender Sport, or Defender 100 could be DC100 on the current Evoque platform. Remember this:

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Supacat on 6th Sep 2019 9:55am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #790852 6th Sep 2019 9:50am
Vintagepaul

2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
excossack wrote:
Road Rover - a rehash of a Rover 75 with 4x4, PHEV, HDC, EBD, PA, TA, OMG, WTF all built in as standard.

I quite like the idea of that, the Rover 75 was a hugely underrated car in it's day.

I'll delete the OMG and WTF options though Very Happy 2015 Defender 90XS HT
Post #790853 6th Sep 2019 9:50am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
My Dad still misses his Rover 75. Not my cup of tea. but if you wanted big with a dollop of luxury, it was very good value.
I think 75 refered to the age you had to be to appreciate it.
Post #790854 6th Sep 2019 9:55am
BogMonster

Falkland Islands 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Do we know yet if there is a crewcab version planned for the 130+/-20?

Something that was comfy, off-roadable and with a pickup bed and towing capability could replace 2 of my vehicles, and would (...might) be interesting. ---
2006 Defender 110 SW 300Tdi • 2011 Ford Ranger XLT crewcab • 2015 Defender 110 Station Wagon Utility TDCi
Post #790858 6th Sep 2019 10:35am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Supacat wrote:
I cast back to last year to dig up this article that makes reference to an entry-level Defender:

The new models could include an entry-level Land Rover, Autocar reported. Land Rover may also launch a car-like crossover called the Road Rover, reports said. Plans for a halo model to take on the Bentley Bentayga ultraluxury SUV appear to be on the back burner for now."

https://europe.autonews.com/article/201808...e-platform

JLR still have two new "nameplates" to come, could one be a Defender Sport?

I think the entry-level new Defender is the £65k one!
Post #790868 6th Sep 2019 11:39am
NoDo$h

England 
BogMonster wrote:

Something that was comfy, off-roadable and with a pickup bed and towing capability could replace 2 of my vehicles, and would (...might) be interesting.

Unlikely, given the new Defender is monocoque 

54 Freelander modded for mud
2008 D3 SE
2010 90 XS SW
1978 88 Series 3 undergoing surgery with a new owner
2007 90 County Truck Cab - gone
2006 D3 SE - gone
2004 Freelander Sport - gay
1999 Disco V8 ES rotted to bits
Post #790873 6th Sep 2019 12:07pm
Tim in Scotland

The photoshop speculation Autocar did of the Road Rover looks like a cross between an XF Sport-brake and a Velar, think JLR’s answer to the X6 but purely on road only.
https://images.app.goo.gl/w8NkepW6Q4DZZhuf9 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #790876 6th Sep 2019 12:16pm
Grenadier

NoDo$h wrote:
BogMonster wrote:

Something that was comfy, off-roadable and with a pickup bed and towing capability could replace 2 of my vehicles, and would (...might) be interesting.

Unlikely, given the new Defender is monocoque

I won't pretend to remember where, but I'm sure I heard there was going to be a pick up version. Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #790881 6th Sep 2019 12:56pm
Oakseywick

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
The road rover ?

Click image to enlarge
 Andy
Defender 90
Defender 110 XS
Cupra 290
Post #790883 6th Sep 2019 1:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top