↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > had a phone call yesterday
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Grenadier wrote:

The problem Bog-Monster is that you (and I would suggest many on this forum) are not the target market. They’re not targeting bearded, middle-aged, ale drinking obsessives, who enjoy farming, green-leaning, over-landing, and are happy to ‘tinker’ on their pride and joy on a rainy Sunday morning, a hot brew within arm’s reach in their HUE mug. They won’t target people who go to Steam Fairs and take photos (and post those photos) of Fred Dimbar’s little beauty. They won’t be targeting people who want to be on this forum. They won’t be targeting people who are happy to be wet, cold, deaf, uncomfortable or broken down, just to own a vehicle with ‘character’.

But they will be targeting young urbanites who are middle-to-high income earners, who do a city-based 9-5 job, but who spend weekends on their 7k mountain bike, ski on their latest Black Diamonds, (kitted out top to toe in Arc’teryx), take part in global ‘challenges’ like the Étape and UTMB, have a selection of modern Gins at home, not a home-brew kit, will already have a ‘sports’ car in their stable, plus possibly a family run-around (RS6), have kids called Zack and Flo. They will head to food festivals, be tinkering with Veganism, and ultimately, secretly, wish they were Bear Grylls (or the female equivalent) and hanker after appearing alongside Ant and Foxy on SAS - Are You Tough Enough.

This is the best post I have read for a long time, and possibly ever on the subject of the new Defender. Exactly my thoughts, but expressed so very much better!
Post #790632 5th Sep 2019 9:11am
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
I can't help thinking that LR need a new 'low-priced', fun vehicle - like the Freelander 1 was - removable roof, small engine, simple transmission, no low-range, plenty of tough plastic, priced early £20K.
I don't think it would devalue the brand if done right, and would make it more accessible.
Still lots of Freelander 1's on the road around here.
Post #790635 5th Sep 2019 9:25am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
22900013A and BW, too kind.

It's certainly not me. I left my 9-to-5 London job, I don't have kids - trendy names or not, I'm not a vegetarian - let alone vegan, I can't stand Bear Grylls and I could never appear alongside Ant and Foxy, they're both poseur bootnecks Whistle Rolling with laughter

The rest though (especially the RS6) I could live with (and in some regards 'do' live with).... Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #790637 5th Sep 2019 9:32am
blackwolf

Ads90 wrote:
I can't help thinking that LR need a new 'low-priced', fun vehicle ....

I am intrigued by your use of the word "need". What benefit would it bring to JLR to have such a vehicle?

Since inevitably margins are lower on a low-priced vehicle, I find it hard to see how making one would benefit the company unless the high-priced, high-tech, premium price market becomes so saturated that no-one is buying the expensive models (actually this is something that JLR seems hell-bent on achieving all by itself with a line up of so many competing own products). The low-priced end of the market is also one where it is very easy for any firm to compete and I am sure they would if the market was there and worthwhile.

It is a nice thought that LR could go back to its roots and produce a quality, sub-£20k vehicle to complete with the new Suzuki, but I really don't think that there's a big enough market for it.
Post #790641 5th Sep 2019 9:50am
Lodelaner

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Shire Blue
Grenadier wrote:

The problem Bog-Monster is that you (and I would suggest many on this forum) are not the target market. They’re not targeting bearded, middle-aged, ale drinking obsessives, who enjoy farming, green-leaning, over-landing, and are happy to ‘tinker’ on their pride and joy on a rainy Sunday morning, a hot brew within arm’s reach in their HUE mug. They won’t target people who go to Steam Fairs and take photos (and post those photos) of Fred Dimbar’s little beauty. They won’t be targeting people who want to be on this forum. They won’t be targeting people who are happy to be wet, cold, deaf, uncomfortable or broken down, just to own a vehicle with ‘character’.

But they will be targeting young urbanites who are middle-to-high income earners, who do a city-based 9-5 job, but who spend weekends on their 7k mountain bike, ski on their latest Black Diamonds, (kitted out top to toe in Arc’teryx), take part in global ‘challenges’ like the Étape and UTMB, have a selection of modern Gins at home, not a home-brew kit, will already have a ‘sports’ car in their stable, plus possibly a family run-around (RS6), have kids called Zack and Flo. They will head to food festivals, be tinkering with Veganism, and ultimately, secretly, wish they were Bear Grylls (or the female equivalent) and hanker after appearing alongside Ant and Foxy on SAS - Are You Tough Enough.

+1 Thumbs Up

'tinkering with veganism' Rolling with laughter JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Youtube greenlaning and other LR related content
Post #790642 5th Sep 2019 10:01am
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
my partner has a D5 and gets a lot of comments about the number plate ... but they say that its the only part of the car that they seldom sees!
At least you can distinguish the vehicle on the road from a RR sport or Disco sport ... and I kinda like the quirky plate .... its something unique !

Thumbs Up

She has got her name down for a test of the 110 Def2

Whistle Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #790660 5th Sep 2019 12:13pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Grenadier that has to be one of the best replies i have ever read anywhere on the internet, totally priceless Rolling with laughter 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #790663 5th Sep 2019 12:19pm
blackwolf

Widget wrote:

'tinkering with veganism' Rolling with laughter

Or as normal people call it, not vegan! Laughing
Post #790665 5th Sep 2019 12:20pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Grenadier wrote:
BogMonster wrote:
£70k for a Defender?! Gotta be kidding.

I paid about £16500 for my brand new 300Tdi Defender in early 2007. I paid £24500 for an immaculate two-year old Puma with 4000 miles and loads of extras on it about 18 months ago, having given up waiting for a quote from the dealer. You could buy a 'new' one until quite recently (last of the 2015 model year build) for less than £30k, and I regarded that as pretty expensive.

£70k or anything even vaguely in that direction is absolutely crazy for anything purporting to be a Defender or its replacement.

Just on one of my increasingly intermittent visits and want to say the above is certainly the best piece I have read in this section for a long time. A veritable jewel in an increasingly grey and mediocre sea. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #790675 5th Sep 2019 1:03pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Grenadier wrote:
BogMonster wrote:

I paid about £16500 for my brand new 300Tdi Defender in early 2007. I paid £24500 for an immaculate two-year old Puma with 4000 miles and loads of extras on it about 18 months ago, having given up waiting for a quote from the dealer. You could buy a 'new' one until quite recently (last of the 2015 model year build) for less than £30k, and I regarded that as pretty expensive.

£70k or anything even vaguely in that direction is absolutely crazy for anything purporting to be a Defender or its replacement.

Perfect!! Bow down
Post #790698 5th Sep 2019 3:26pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Grenadier i think your epic reply should be nominated for some of the best writing of 2019 and be nominated for

Nobel Prize in Literature. ...
Booker Prize. ...
Pulitzer Prize. ...
Neustadt International Prize for Literature. ...

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #790707 5th Sep 2019 4:02pm
Blue

2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Cairns Blue
Grenadier wrote:
BogMonster wrote:

I enjoyed reading your thoughts, thanks! Thumbs Up
Post #790733 5th Sep 2019 6:05pm
Grenadier

Gentlemen, you are all beyond generous with your effusive responses. Perhaps if any of us have a Twitter account we should should send it to McGovern and team? Dan @ Duckworths, got an internal email? Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #790738 5th Sep 2019 6:27pm
Grenadier

blackwolf wrote:
Widget wrote:

'tinkering with veganism' Rolling with laughter

Or as normal people call it, not vegan! Laughing

I'm confused by 'flexitarian' where you dip in and out of eating meat or being veggie. Given I am happy to have a veg soup, a margherita pizza, chips with Tommy K, a pasta bake, all manner of pastas with meat free sauces, but then am also content to have a whopper of a steak and a whopper of a Whopper, I fall into that category. Which for the last 46 years of the 46 years I've inhabited this planet, I've referred to as 'normal'. Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #790739 5th Sep 2019 6:31pm
blackwolf

I am proud to be an omnivore, just as nature intended.

I eat vegetables, I even eat some of this weird vegetarian stuff but I do so because I like it. Thumbs Up
Post #790755 5th Sep 2019 7:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>