↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > How would you spec the New Defender?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
blackrangie

Australia 
How would you spec the New Defender?
Ok, it's getting close to Frankfurt time Sept 10 when the online builder and ordering books will open officially I'm going to have to start thinking seriously about how I'm going to spec mine.

If you're going to get 1 what would be your preferred engine, colour, suspension, tyres, seats, factory off-road accessories.

For me, if the straight 6 petrol is ecconomical enough and can wade as much as the diesel i'll most likely go that way.
Colour: dark grey of some kind.
Air susp.
Muddies.
Leather and electric, 2+3 (3+3 is tempting)
Factory tube bar+warn winch, sliders, ladder, expedition rack, snorkel, recovery points all around, bash plates if avail.
Android auto
Good stereo
Everything else can be utilitarian as possible.

Thoughts on my choices and what would your spec be without getting into diesel vs petrol war Cool
Post #789881 1st Sep 2019 2:22pm
BogMonster

Falkland Islands 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
The factory bar and winch will be made out of expanding foam to save the pedestrians Laughing

If I bought one to replace the Shogun:

Dark green or bright red preferred
I suppose I would reluctantly need to go with air suspension to preserve some kind of off road capability as the coil version will most likely be hopeless
Decent tyres as big as could be fitted, and on the smallest diameter rims available, and preferably on alloys to avoid the rust after a year.
Snorkel, winch and recovery points, proper bash plate under the front if available
Utilitarian interior that could be swept out (never felt the need to hose them out)

It would have to be the bigger diesel as 2 litre is what coke comes in. ---
2006 Defender 110 SW 300Tdi • 2011 Ford Ranger XLT crewcab • 2015 Defender 110 Station Wagon Utility TDCi
Post #789902 1st Sep 2019 4:15pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
was in my dealers this morning collecting new car and booked a slot for 3 weeks time to discuss specs further. He said there will be many options to choose from!

At a high level I'm thinking 110 P400e, Byron Blue, HSE with driver assist pack, HUD, roof bars,Privacy Glass, heated steering wheel, ladder, side steps and towpack Very Happy 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #789911 1st Sep 2019 5:06pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
What’s HUD?
Post #789913 1st Sep 2019 5:21pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
Head Up Display it beams the Dash info onto the windscreen. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
Post #789914 1st Sep 2019 5:23pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Great thread

I think I would like the bigger diesel lump but it’s not out until 2021. So P400e so it will be snapped up by a Londoner after 12 months and I can get the coal burner I actually want. 2.0 too small.

Has to have roof rack and ladder. Tow pack. Rubber mats throughout and air suspension. 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #789919 1st Sep 2019 5:55pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Is there an option list anywhere?
Post #789927 1st Sep 2019 6:20pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
Don't think so only that leaked presentation document. I'm making my assumptions based on the standard items available across the range, I see no reason why they won't be available and then the special more interesting defender items on top. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
Post #789937 1st Sep 2019 7:19pm
LiftedDisco

RDR wrote:
was in my dealers this morning collecting new car and booked a slot for 3 weeks time to discuss specs further. He said there will be many options to choose from!

At a high level I'm thinking 110 P400e, Byron Blue, HSE with driver assist pack, HUD, roof bars,Privacy Glass, heated steering wheel, ladder, side steps and towpack Very Happy

Spot on... can’t fault you on that spec!

Keen to see it in the flesh (so to speak..) and, in all probability, move on from the D5 - our daughter has seen it and tells me I’m going to like it a lot!
Post #789961 1st Sep 2019 8:40pm
dailysleaze

United Kingdom 
Steel wheels
Coil springs
300Tdi Whistle
Post #789965 1st Sep 2019 8:50pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Manual gear box Big Cry
Post #789992 2nd Sep 2019 5:35am
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Autoexpress:

There will be three base models in the Defender line-up, the first-year production X, Standard and, for 2021, the X-Dynamic. The high-end X will offer a fixed spec and "limited options" for 2021, before being offered with a wider spec.

The Defender X will be sold in powerful P300 and P400e petrol forms in 2020, with the D300 diesel being added to a lengthened options list in 2021.

The Defender Standard will be available with the full range of engine options from launch, aside from the D300 which arrives in 2021.

Customers will be able to select a further three specification levels: S, SE and HSE.

According to the leaked presentation slides, the Standard specification Defenders will get 18in wheels, LED headlamps, eight-way adjustable fabric front seats, a 140W audio system with six speakers, a 7in instrument cluster and a 10in touchscreen.

‘S’ specification Defenders add front fog lamps, 12-way adjustable "semi-powered" seats in "Performance" fabric and a 12in digital instrument cluster.

The SE gets 20in "Apollo" wheels, Premium LED headlights with high beam assist, powered rear-view mirrors and a passive entry system, 14-way adjustable electric front seats, a 370W Meridian audio system with 10 speakers and automatic parking.

Defender HSE models gets Matrix LED headlamps, 18-way adjustable Windsor leather electric memory seats with climate control and what JLR calls a "Drive Pack and Park Pack".

The launch ‘X’ model gets darkened 20in wheels and tail-lights, more highly-specced front seats and a "Co-Pilot" pack.

On top of this, JLR will offer four option packs (Capability, Interior Upgrade, Exterior and Convenience) as well as stand-alone options. Accessories - badged as Explorer, Adventure, Urban and Country - will also be offered by dealers. Clearly, JLR is looking to take advantage of the likely enthusiasm around the new Defender by trying to attract high-spending private buyers 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #790008 2nd Sep 2019 6:40am
Tim in Scotland

AMBxx wrote:
Manual gear box Big Cry

Why? Modern autos are now so good and most can easily be used in a manual mode why would you want to stir a stick on the floor? Frightened of technology? Listened to scare stories of lack of driver control? Simply doesn’t happen with modern boxes and Terrain response works really well in conjunction with an auto if you choose to use the pre-program setting of TR. it is still possible to drive an auto manually using “Command shift” as a semi automated sequential ‘box. I wouldn’t buy a modern car without an auto today having owned auto versions of Disco1, Disco2, L322 FFRR x 2, Freelander 1 auto, RRS x 3 and 2 x Evoque (1 a 6 speed, the other a brilliant 9 speeder). The ZF 8 speed auto is really excellent on and off road. The only thing I see against them is whether or not LR chooses to make an oil cooler standard kit like they do with all their current models.

As to spec -
SWB/90 SW P400e - but importantly one that can TOW, as no PHEV currently on the road is homolgated to tow more than 750kgs - I don’t tow but I do occasionally help do off-road recoveries, and a PHEV is untested in that role
Metallic dark green paint
Simple pattern 18” alloys
Heated front screen
Heated front seats
Heated, powered wing mirrors
Decent audio - 820w Meridan should be standard as the lower spec versions are awful.
NO In-Control Touch, give me what I have in my Mini please, it’s simple and just works and updates satnav maps for free over the air
Decent rear wiper
Any sort of tow hook as standard.
Decent strong points to fit recovery points - L494 and Disco5 Don’t have the really excellent built in recovery points of Disco3 and 4 and L320 RRS and have a single screw in eye that doesn’t inspire confidence or look strong enough.
Comfortable seats like I have in my 1996 90
Decent wiper pattern and efficient wipers with proper variable wiping.
Opening panoramic roof at a sensible price.
Standard oil cooler for the auto-box
Good powerful air con like L322 had and L405/L494 and Disco5 don’t have
The option NOT to have keyless entry, but some decent security fitted as standard.
Probably S or SE spec will be fine for me. Living in the sticks it will be my daily runner and also my green lane toy so i don’t need most of the trinkets city dwellers seem to need to make the school run bearable Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #790020 2nd Sep 2019 7:54am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Nope, not scared of anything. I just like to feel like I'm doing the driving.

The debate about the new Defender is starting to resemble the debate around the great unmentionable.
Post #790029 2nd Sep 2019 8:33am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
AMBxx wrote:
Manual gear box Big Cry

the 60s are calling, they're looking for you Rolling with laughter --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #790032 2nd Sep 2019 8:39am