↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Whining differential?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Cliffordl

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 110 200 Tdi ST Alaska White
Whining differential?
I've just collected my (new to me) 110 from south Wales. The vendor had told me that the front diff was making a whining noise.
It starts at around 30 mph as a continuous whine. As speed increases it gets loader and once fully warmed and wound up it sounds like a tank - a very loud gear whining noise from the mid to front transmission area.

Is the diff the likely suspect? If so should I (average mechanical skills) attempt the replacement?

It survived the 400 mile journey, much of it at 55-60mph but the noise sounds like something that I should attend to.

All advice welcome
Post #788648 26th Aug 2019 10:45am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Welcome Clifford. I could be wrong, having not heard it, but what you describe just sounds like the standard transmission whine. There's absolutely no sound insulation between the transmission box/gearbox/diffs/props and the cabin, bar a couple of mils of sheet metal. You can lessen the impact with some good sound insulation (lots of threads on here in that regard) and a carpet set, but otherwise it's one of the many quirks of Defender ownership. Just play your stereo at a level it drowns the noise out or similarly open the windows until you're buffeted like you would be in a North Sea gale. As I said, could be wrong, so if you think it sounds more like a genuine mechanical fault rather than just some agricultural machinery spinning very fast, might be worth filming it and popping the video on this thread for us to see.... Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #788658 26th Aug 2019 11:36am
oneten110

United Kingdom 
Honestly whilst the Defender is a noisy car to drive and there are many sounds with which one becomes familiar. I have never had a whining noise from a front differential. Rear diff yes and it is quite noticeable above all the other noises. A relatively simple job to change a rear diff, a bit more involved to change the front. Depending on model year, it might be worth your while, if you are replacing the diff, to do so with a 4 pin unit.
Point is, it should not make a noise, not to the extent that it sounds like a tank (I realise having served with an armoured regiment I might have a different take on what a tank sounds like)
There are a couple of methods, the quick way and the prolonged way. Quick way involves removing the brake calipers and fastening them to their respective front spring. Thus avoiding the requirement to open the brake system and bleeding upon reassembly. Unfasten and remove steering rods, unfasten the entire hub assembly from axle case, remove, complete with half shaft, disc et al (you might need to dress in your he man outfit) put them safely to one side, unfasten and remove differential, again he man suit might be of use, and as in all the best manuals, assembly is a reverse of dismantling. Getting the long half shaft to re engage with the diff can be patience trying, but it will go in. 3 weetabix for breakfast helps It is not a Defender, it is a One_Ten
Post #788672 26th Aug 2019 1:25pm
Grenadier

Oneten110, for me the query was the origin of the noise. 'Mid-to-front' transmission area. Got bit confused and focused on the transmission whine. I suspect you are more than right that a noise from the front diff would be highly unusual. I'd also say that with all the other noise associated with that area (tyre/engine/wind/gearbox etc) it would be seriously unusual if you could hear the diff at all at the speeds indicated. Wonder if we need a video.

BTW, I won't discuss tank noises. Didn't like them, stayed away, too claustraphobic for my liking... Whistle . Always liked the 'bang' they made though Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #788678 26th Aug 2019 2:29pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Investigate. It is really no fun at all to have your front diff fail catastophically whilst driving.
Post #788680 26th Aug 2019 3:02pm
Grenadier

Sounds like you've 'been there' BW? Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #788682 26th Aug 2019 3:05pm
blackwolf

Oh yes, victim of the wholly-inadequate two-gear front diff in an '07 Puma 110. It suddenly becomes impossible to steer when the diff locks solid! Fortunately for me it was the diff, not the ring and pinion, that failed so at least the front wheels went on rotating.

Of course it did provide the perfect excuse for and Ashcroft ATB, which even with HD ring & pinion was vastly cheaper than a reconditioned genuine part.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #788687 26th Aug 2019 3:16pm
oneten110

United Kingdom 
Grenadier wrote:
Oneten110, for me the query was the origin of the noise. 'Mid-to-front' transmission area. Got bit confused and focused on the transmission whine. I suspect you are more than right that a noise from the front diff would be highly unusual. I'd also say that with all the other noise associated with that area (tyre/engine/wind/gearbox etc) it would be seriously unusual if you could hear the diff at all at the speeds indicated. Wonder if we need a video.

BTW, I won't discuss tank noises. Didn't like them, stayed away, too claustraphobic for my liking... Whistle . Always liked the 'bang' they made though Thumbs Up

The problem is that it is very difficult to isolate a noise in a Defender, there are so many hard, reflective surfaces inside, it could be coming from almost anywhere. It also helps if you are familiar with the vehicle and can picture where things are. Obviously the gearbox is under the transmission tunnel, I always think a surprisingly long way back though, then the transfer box is pretty much under the seatbase.
Having tried to determine where a noise was coming from, whilst driving, it is pretty difficult.

No, I wasn't inside them, my function in life was to ensure that they were capable of providing reassuring bangs at the appropriate time. Tis quite a thump though, sufficient to rattle your teeth inside your head if you are stood close enough, especially Sabot.
 It is not a Defender, it is a One_Ten
Post #788696 26th Aug 2019 3:57pm
Grenadier

When doing PCBC at ITC Waminster we had an All Arms familiarisation day. Fired every weapon under the sun, or at least certainly in the British Army arsenal of 1997. All the standard stuff, plus a lot of heavy weapons and artillery. I was one of the lucky few to target indicate and 'fire' the CII standing on the engine cover at the back, using the handset, straight down Salisbury Plain. Of every weapon I have ever fired, including a lot with the US, nothing came close to the sheer sense of awesome, brutal power. Bow down Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #788711 26th Aug 2019 5:53pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
^^^^ as90 in direct role comes close!

110 ~ gun ftr? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #788737 26th Aug 2019 9:05pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
I have had a front diff whine, also t box both harder than you think to identify.

Does it whine in all gears above 30? Does it whine off load? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #788738 26th Aug 2019 9:07pm
Grenadier

jst wrote:
^^^^ as90 in direct role comes close!

Fired one of those, albeit not 'direct'. I'm sure someone who served on the Tirpitz will pop on and tell us how powerful a quadruple gun is, or maybe even one of those railway guns the Germans had during WWII.

Click image to enlarge
 Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #788817 27th Aug 2019 11:26am
oneten110

United Kingdom 
All of which is rather drifting off the subject of a whining front differential It is not a Defender, it is a One_Ten
Post #788833 27th Aug 2019 12:48pm
blackwolf

Grenadier wrote:
... I'm sure someone who served on the Tirpitz will pop on and tell us how powerful a quadruple gun is, or maybe even one of those railway guns the Germans had during WWII. ...

My father is one of the small (and dwindling) number of people who has experienced a full broadside fired on board HMS Vanguard (eight BL-15 guns in four twin turrets) and has been in close proximity to a full broadside from a US Iowa class battleship (nine 16" BL guns in three triples).

He won't hear you ask about it though! Laughing
Post #788840 27th Aug 2019 1:27pm
Grenadier

oneten110 wrote:
All of which is rather drifting off the subject of a whining front differential

I think we've scared Clifford off.... Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #788925 27th Aug 2019 7:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>