↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Fox 2.0 resevoir shocks
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
since im awaiting a new turbo rebuild I got it on the ramp, among other things started installing the fronts more involved than the rear but should get them to work with minor cutting etc.

Click image to enlarge
Post #844591 18th Jul 2020 7:42pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Did you sort you suspension problems in the end? 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #844595 18th Jul 2020 7:46pm
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Sort of, have the Gwyn Lewis +1 inch spring spacers, little bit concerned about towing tho...
Post #844614 18th Jul 2020 8:34pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Have got a set to fit identical to yours. So following with interest.

Out of interest, not sure I understand why you needed the spring spacers?

I figured with a (+2" in my case) shock, as long as the compressed length of the shock is capable of being less than the bottomed out axle.... should be fine. Admitedly with a +2" shock thats more likely to be an issue, and then i either need longer strut towers or longer bump stops.

For a -1" lowering, the shock just thinks the vehicles got a lot of weight in it and is sitting further into its travel.

Not sure I follow why you'd need spacers to bring you back up to standard height regardless of the shocks you've picked. They are either short enough that they aren't damaged on bottom out or not? Spring height irrelevant? Question

Sorry. Just trying to figure all the heights, distances etc out!! Thumbs Up Rolling with laughter
Post #888658 2nd Mar 2021 5:06pm
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
After running Bilsteins for a couple of years im going to take the plunge and go for the adjustable fox remote res's in the next couple of weeks. Ive done lots of experimenting with springs and fitted the bilsteins to get me to a point where im happy but i think theres room for improvement. Everyone says the standard fox's are an upgrade over the bilsteins and the adjustable ones do intrigue me. Though i definitely dont need the adjustable remote resevoirs if i buy the standard fox's i'll just want to uprade in the future out of curiosity.

My 90 is either empty or loaded up for holidays. Currently i run front springs on the rear and swap them over to normal csw springs when im going on a big trip. I think ive got a few experiments i want to try once ive got them.

-Depending on how effective the low speed compression adjustment is im going to try removing the anti roll bars and see if i can compensate for the roll with the adjusters. Having been in my friends discovery 2 with no arb's i was surpised at how planted it was without but with the advantage of bigger flex.
-Im also interested to see if the compression adjustment is enough to control the wallowyness when shes loaded up on the soft rear springs. If so i'll fit 1" spring spacers on the rear to bring the back up, so when its loaded with the soft springs it will be level, and wont have to change the springs for trips.
-Also curious about the comfort and general adjustability over the other combinations ive tried before.

Ive already received rear pin mounts from gwyn lewis and will be ordering rubber shaft boots with the shocks and looking into getting some clear vinyl wrap to go around the shock bodies and reservoirs. I plan to get it all fitted on the weekend of the 7th of november then i can start a whole new chapter of tinkering.

Looking forward to reporting back Thumbs Up
Post #926811 22nd Oct 2021 8:31pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Sounds great. Just to clarify... You're ordering 4 X pin pin foxes and the Gwyn pin rears, rather than converting the eye to pin somehow?

Only that my set are pin pin and pin eye.
Post #926815 22nd Oct 2021 9:12pm
LandymanStefan

Yes i'll be ordering 4 'fronts' all pin pin and using the gwyn pin mounts on the back
Post #926816 22nd Oct 2021 9:15pm
100inch

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
LandymanStefan wrote:
After running Bilsteins for a couple of years im going to take the plunge and go for the adjustable fox remote res's in the next couple of weeks. Ive done lots of experimenting with springs and fitted the bilsteins to get me to a point where im happy but i think theres room for improvement. Everyone says the standard fox's are an upgrade over the bilsteins and the adjustable ones do intrigue me. Though i definitely dont need the adjustable remote resevoirs if i buy the standard fox's i'll just want to uprade in the future out of curiosity.

My 90 is either empty or loaded up for holidays. Currently i run front springs on the rear and swap them over to normal csw springs when im going on a big trip. I think ive got a few experiments i want to try once ive got them.

-Depending on how effective the low speed compression adjustment is im going to try removing the anti roll bars and see if i can compensate for the roll with the adjusters. Having been in my friends discovery 2 with no arb's i was surpised at how planted it was without but with the advantage of bigger flex.
-Im also interested to see if the compression adjustment is enough to control the wallowyness when shes loaded up on the soft rear springs. If so i'll fit 1" spring spacers on the rear to bring the back up, so when its loaded with the soft springs it will be level, and wont have to change the springs for trips.
-Also curious about the comfort and general adjustability over the other combinations ive tried before.

Ive already received rear pin mounts from gwyn lewis and will be ordering rubber shaft boots with the shocks and looking into getting some clear vinyl wrap to go around the shock bodies and reservoirs. I plan to get it all fitted on the weekend of the 7th of november then i can start a whole new chapter of tinkering.

Looking forward to reporting back Thumbs Up

LandymanStefan,
Don't try to compensate (lack of) anti roll bar with the low speed adjustments. People have actually overworked and damaged (pretty much burned) their shocks. Think of suspension doing two things, handling and comfort. I suggest you leave the anti roll bar in place. For my 110, I got Fox 2.5 with the DSC on their way but will definitely leave my anti roll bars front and back in. m
Post #926834 23rd Oct 2021 1:57am
LandymanStefan

Now im no suspension expert but i cant see how a bit of compression damping to counter body roll on a 90 is enough to burn out a remote res shock or any shock? Landies never used to come with roll bars from the factory... Do you have any information on this?

Surely a bit of body roll is less stress on the shock than driving over corrugations and off hits road all day? There are so many trucks, jeeps and UTV's without roll bars and i'd say the majority of rigs built to go seriously off road arent running them. Even fox say low speed compression is used to control body movement and when you look at most of their rigs theyre on jacked suspension with no arb's.

Needless to say it is just something i want to experiment with and not neccesarily something i'll continue with. It may be that the shocks are more plush so i can run my firmer springs all the time which nearly eliminate roll by themselves.
Post #926863 23rd Oct 2021 1:15pm
100inch

Sold once a set of Aragosta shocks and exactly this happened, as the owner went offroading whilst having low-speed adjustment on lowest settings.
Actually all Jeeps or other 4wd with decent suspension systems have sway bars and so have all comp 4x4s.
I personally wouldn't trade good handling for a tiny bit of wheel travel.....Not saying you can't adjust body roll with your shocks but it shouldn't be the shocks main purpose.
Even with 3"bypass on my 100" I run sway bars. And yes, LR added anti roll bars across all models including Defenders from the late 90's onwards. m

Click image to enlarge
Post #926911 24th Oct 2021 12:44am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Could always fit an unlockable ARB? James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #926914 24th Oct 2021 6:35am
LandymanStefan

100inch wrote:

Actually all Jeeps or other 4wd with decent suspension systems have sway bars and so have all comp 4x4s.
And yes, LR added anti roll bars across all models including Defenders from the late 90's onwards. m

I was referring to modified trucks not in stock form. Also my friends 2000 td5 90 pickup never had arb's from factory.

That aside i'll take your advice and keep them, i never do anything extreme enough to 'need' to remove them it was just an idea. I might have a look at the disconnect option but probably not worth it for me.
Post #926947 24th Oct 2021 1:09pm
100inch

Have a closer look at good modified 4WDs and you will note how many running sway bars/ARB's front and back, for example seen here
My 98 build 50th definitely had factory ARB's but they often got taken off. If you get DSC on your shocks, make sure they get valved accordingly to get most out of your adjustments, or get a shim kit if you got plenty of spare time Laughing .m
Post #927017 24th Oct 2021 10:08pm
LandymanStefan

Ahh I’ve seen other videos of those trucks and was convinced they didn’t have them but there’s better camera angles on that video.

Here we go chaps

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #927681 29th Oct 2021 10:59am
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
LandymanStefan wrote:
100inch wrote:

And yes, LR added anti roll bars across all models including Defenders from the late 90's onwards. m

I was referring to modified trucks not in stock form. Also my friends 2000 td5 90 pickup never had arb's from factory.

That aside i'll take your advice and keep them, i never do anything extreme enough to 'need' to remove them it was just an idea. I might have a look at the disconnect option but probably not worth it for me.

Our 2005 110 Td5 didn't, and still doesn't have ARB's.

Chris
Post #927697 29th Oct 2021 12:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 9 <123456789>