↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > New 'virgin' audio install & speakers in lower dash...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
northernerindevon

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
New 'virgin' audio install & speakers in lower dash...
Good afternoon,

I have an ex-military 90 which is in dire need of some music.

It is to be a 'virgin' install & I think I have most of it planned in my head (I tend to think things through for a long time before committing to an idea):

Single DIN HU in an FCX radio box cubby (if anyone has one, thoughts welcome)

Nakatanenga DAB aerial - mounted on front passenger wingtop

2x rear speakers in MUD rear speaker panels

Sub in MUD sub locker or Far Corners sub locker under cubby box. Sub driven from HU

4 channel amp mounted on rear bulkhead behind drivers seat - driving rear speakers & front speakers / tweeters

2x tweeters in dash top (the Landy is a long term keeper so no issue with drilling dash etc)

2x front speakers - these I think I would like in the 'standard' position under the dash. However, I would need to drill out the dash (fine) but I am unsure what lies behind and how big I can go in terms of speaker size. I am away with work for a month or so thus away from the Landy. Has anyone fitted speakers in this location in a vehicle that hasn't had any in place there at all? Any advice regards the position, drilling & wiring routing - I assume once the holes are opened up I can run the cables through the bowels of the dash & then route them to the amp via the transmission tunnel?

Is it worth considering putting them in the front headlining above the drivers and passengers heads instead? My thoughts are that they'd be too close to your ears.

Finally, I intend to fully soundproof the Landy, although that's a can of worms for another time!

I haven't done anything like this before and there are other jobs to be completed first but I want the install to be thoroughly clear in my mind before starting & ordering things.

TL:DR: Any feedback on FCX Radio box cubby, MUDstuff Sub locker or Far Corners sub locker?

Any tips, advice or thoughts on mounting a pair of speakers under the dash in the 'standard' location on a
Landy that doesn't currently have any installed?

Any other thoughts or hints for a brand new install?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Cheers, Paul
Post #780639 8th Jul 2019 4:37pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
What is your alternator input may I ask? Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #780640 8th Jul 2019 4:45pm
northernerindevon

Its a 12v vehicle with a retrofitted 300TDi - I have never upgraded the alternator so presumably a 60amp one.
Post #780641 8th Jul 2019 4:52pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
You really need to find the output really if you can.
Do you know your amplifier Wattage RMS for all channels? Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #780642 8th Jul 2019 4:57pm
northernerindevon

Hi Steve,

No, not at this time; I haven't got as far as choosing all the equipment.

What should I be looking for regards the amplifer wattage RMS?

Cheers, Paul
Post #780643 8th Jul 2019 5:12pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Well it depends on what you are looking to fit power wise, but what ever you do fit would need to be lower current draw than your alternator output. 60A is fairly low as you have to take into account other ancillaries and HU current draw off as well.

Have you considered an upgrade alternator or for a TDI there maybe a twin set up a available.
From there you can the do ‘the big three’ upgrade which includes upgrading your ground, and alternator to battery feeds etc.

It really depends on what wattage equipment you want really. The more power the higher cost and upgrade but you get more power and sound quality for your money.

Finally if you upgrade to fitting tweeters, I’d recommend 1” the same as Puma’s. (If there is room?) And when drilling use a cone cutter not a hole saw. They are much safer, accurate, cleaner cut and will keep a more concentric hole.
Obviously check everything is clear behind.

You may have planned to do this anyway. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #780646 8th Jul 2019 5:33pm
northernerindevon

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not looking for a crazy powerful expensive system but ref. the alternator - food for thought & something I hadn't considered.

Good call on using a cone cutter rather than a hole saw.

Cheers, Paul
Post #780655 8th Jul 2019 6:15pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I believe FCX are still selling their cubby, I'm sure they were advertising them recently.

I have the Far Corners sub under chubby box, very pleased with it. Has space for extra switches, usb sockets on front which is useful. Haven't got pics on mobile but they're on my thread. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #780713 8th Jul 2019 9:17pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
You can fit a 100a alt in std place on a 300tdi. Is std not 85a anyway? I would of thought std alt even at 60a more than capable unless you going to blow your ear drums Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #780720 8th Jul 2019 9:44pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Yeah, the TDI’s are typically around that range for output. The trouble you can get is fluctuating voltage under load, dimming of headlights etc.
Mind you class D Amplifiers are a lot more efficient, but you’d be surprised how much juice they can pull. Just depends on what wattage really. 400wrms should be okay, but that is not including to many extras. 800wrms is nearly the capacity of the alternator at 12.2v but charging voltage does bring the load down.

So long as the load doesn’t exceed the output of the alternator giving some room for charging current then there isn’t a problem.
Worth checking the battery and the charging voltage for stability though.👍🏻 Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #780735 8th Jul 2019 10:46pm
northernerindevon

I've been in touch with Mitch at FCX recently & they are indeed still selling the cubby box - its just currently out of stock. Has anyone got one that can comment on it?

JOW240725 - cheers for your comments about the Far Corners sub locker. Just off to have a look at your thread!

I think my standard alternator will be fine - as I alluded I don't (think) I want a crazy system but, nearer the time, I'll maybe post up kit I am thinking of and you can critique it for me.

Cheers for the replies so far,

Paul
Post #780737 8th Jul 2019 10:53pm
V8Simon

United Kingdom 1985 Defender 90 V8 Petrol SW Auto Arles Blue
I had speakers in the front lower dash as you mention. Its where they were fitted by a professional company many years ago and were fine although on their own might be a bit weedy in a noisy LR so I'd definitely include the other ones in the rear.
Agree about the headlining being a little too close to your head but I think there's a pic in this months LRO of someone who has that.
From memory, there's a metal skin behind the soft bit in the lower dash. I have my old dash, i can have a look if required as I took the speakers out? 1984 90 V8 puma want to be.
Post #781099 11th Jul 2019 11:53am
northernerindevon

V8Simon,

If you could have a look for me that would be great. If you could get some pictures that would be even better!

As its a fresh install I intend to fit 13cm speakers under the dash instead of the standard 10cm (assuming there is space) along with 1" tweets on top of the dash along with 16.5cm ones in the MUD rear panels (these will need trimming I know)

Thanks again
Post #781104 11th Jul 2019 12:15pm
V8Simon

United Kingdom 1985 Defender 90 V8 Petrol SW Auto Arles Blue
This is the drivers side but you can see the metal skin behind. Its short work with a jigsaw though. Don't forget you'll need a spacer for the passenger side speaker in this position as otherwise it fouls the wiper motor. Sorry, I could'nt see the passenger side dash as I removed it from the bulkhead when replacing the bulkhead.

Phones are side on for some reason.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Regards
Simon 1984 90 V8 puma want to be.
Post #781111 11th Jul 2019 12:51pm
northernerindevon

Those are ideal V8Simon, many thanks for those.

Cheers!
Post #781124 11th Jul 2019 2:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1